Discussion of Alexander Jero's Previous Musical Projects

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubertrout

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I posted this on the other thread, but apparently Mr. Jero prevailed on the mods to remove most of the discussion and not repost it elsewhere, instead deleting it. To say I think this is unhealthy is a massive understatement. This is what I posted on that thread:

I was wondering when this dam would burst.

Mr. Jero has been on the periphery of the surround music world for over a decade at this point, selling his versions of the classical surround recordings of others and his own synthesized performances of classical pieces, mixed in surround. I've personally had severe doubts he has the proper licenses from the companies he sourced his remixes from, which include most notably Naxos but also Universal, Warner, and smaller labels. There's also been the issue that the discs he sold were burned, not pressed, and the packaging was generally homemade as well.

I'm generally pretty skeptical of his efforts, but I've tried to be nice. But I really wish he'd use his clearly boundless enthusiasm and energy to make new recordings, instead of remixing 5.1 recordings into 7.1, especially when it's not at all clear he has access to anything but a consumer source of the 5.1 mix.

I kind of thought people here knew the story, including most notoriously his dabbling with Pink Floyd, which is why Mr. Jero's further offerings on this forum largely met with silence.

The thing is, I don't think it's just a scam - he's put in far too much work for that, and his passion is clear, even if his methods are not. But it's not wrong to take exception to efforts that are not entirely aboveboard both legally and in execution. Given his long presence in the surrounding world and frequently shady business practices (e.g. astroturfing reviews), he's not necessarily entitled to the complete benefit of the doubt.
And his response:
So what? I should post here my contract with labels, on a public forum, it has a confidentiality section, all my discs and covers has a reference to the content provider I had license it from, it is my agreement, it is even on some of Amazon listings.

I continue to be skeptical about the existence and scope of a license, to the point where emailing Naxos of America and asking if he has a license seems like a low blow, but I do recognize that there's not much other evidence out there. I have a 40-disc collection Mr. Jero created (https://www.amazon.com/Blu-ray-Signature-Classical-Collection-Updated/dp/B00JSDAW9Y/), consisting of his reissues of previous releases from other labels burned to a DVD with a blu-ray filesystem, but haven't done any sort of A/B testing between his discs and the originals.

As mentioned, he seems to have a tendency of prevailing upon boards and retailers (including Amazon) to remove 1-star reviews and negative/questioning comments about his products. I really hope QQ isn't going to fall into that trap as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back