Simon & Garfunkel's "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme" on MoFi Stereo SACD in 2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Simon and Garfunkel's album "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme" has been announced as an upcoming Hybrid Stereo SACD on Mobile Fidelity in the new Music Direct catalog.
Another SACD to look forward to in the new year.

Simon and Garfunkel on SACD.jpg

Simon and Garfunkel's album "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme" has been announced as an upcoming Hybrid Stereo SACD on Mobile Fidelity in the new Music Direct catalog.
Another SACD to look forward to in the new year.

View attachment 31338

A definite MUST buy.:) Looks like MoFi is the official hi def curator of the S&G catalog. With their BRIDGE 2 LP set cut at 45rpm and now this, wonder if it has any bearing on Sony Japan's cancellation of the QUAD SACD of Bridge? Hmmmmm!

It's a no brainer purchase for me....BUT....although it's a "future" project by MOFI.... I would caution people to be patient...it might not be released in 2018...some of these future releases by MOFI go on for years before they hit the market...unlike other labels that release their titles within a reasonable time...MOFI does not...

I will buy this album for these 3 songs...Scarborough Fair...Homeward Bound(my favorite of the bunch)...59th Street Bridge Song...

This album marked the beginning of Paul Simon's "lust" to be in complete control of most of the aspects of the album...especially the recording process...he was successful in getting Columbia records to let them use 8 track recording and they were given a lot of time to work on the album...4 months......looking at the DNR numbers...I wonder if that was the right decision.....the numbers aren't bad...but not stellar either....check it out

It's a no brainer purchase for me....BUT....although it's a "future" project by MOFI.... I would caution people to be patient...it might not be released in 2018...some of these future releases by MOFI go on for years before they hit the market...unlike other labels that release their titles within a reasonable time...MOFI does not...

I will buy this album for these 3 songs...Scarborough Fair...Homeward Bound(my favorite of the bunch)...59th Street Bridge Song...

This album marked the beginning of Paul Simon's "lust" to be in complete control of most of the aspects of the album...especially the recording process...he was successful in getting Columbia records to let them use 8 track recording and they were given a lot of time to work on the album...4 months......looking at the DNR numbers...I wonder if that was the right decision.....the numbers aren't bad...but not stellar either....check it out

Actually Clint, those DR numbers are rather respectable and actually consistent across all the different reissues. Wonder what shape the master tapes are in. I did recount on a few occasions that Roy Hallee, S&G's producer said that a lot of the S&G analogue masters were in rough shape as constant tinkering by Mr. Simon himself resulted in tons of splices. Wonder if this will be transferred from a digital safety master? Hmmm.

Let's face facts: Even transferring original master analogue tapes to analogue safety masters would result in generational loss. Good old analogue.

Actually Clint, those DR numbers are rather respectable and actually consistent across all the different reissues.

Consistent yes ...consistently average ...I did say the numbers aren't bad...just not stellar...and other releases during this time frame done on lesser equipment had much better results...this could mean there is a very good master that just needs the right touch...and the HD tracks "hi rez" 24/192 version is only a 10...c'mon...that's barely respectable on the DR database scale..

Consistent yes ...consistently average ...I did say the numbers aren't bad...just not stellar...and other releases during this time frame done on lesser equipment had much better results...this could mean there is a very good master that just needs the right touch...and the HD tracks "hi rez" 24/192 version is only a 10...c'mon...that's barely respectable on the DR database scale..

That's why I mentioned about the 'supposedly' poor condition of the original analogue masters. From Roy Hallee's mouth to the ears of my former 'boutique' audio salon owner's ears. Roy was one of his former customers.

That's why I mentioned about the 'supposedly' poor condition of the original analogue masters. From Roy Hallee's mouth to the ears of my former 'boutique' audio salon owner's ears. Roy was one of his former customers.

I'll say this...MOFI has stepped up their game...I was never a fan of their SACDs until recently...they have improved...I don't know if their "touted" new machine is the difference.... or just getting better masters to work on...

We will see...but sadly... we won't be discussing it on here:(...so maybe you can post a review on a bill board in Times Square...

I'll say this...MOFI has stepped up their game...I was never a fan of their SACDs until recently...they have improved...I don't know if their "touted" new machine is the difference.... or just getting better masters to work on...

We will see...but sadly... we won't be discussing it on here:(...so maybe you can post a review on a bill board in Times Square...

just as well QQ would be no more cos if QQ's still going strong and I'm still alive when those Moflickers release Bridge Over Troubled Water in Stereo-only SACD
(probably 10 years hence knowing the rate of their releases, I'll be dead by then no doubt) I'd be throwing out so many :nuke emoticons the whole damn interweb gonna go === KABOOM!!!! :yikes

Actually Clint, those DR numbers are rather respectable and actually consistent across all the different reissues. Wonder what shape the master tapes are in. I did recount on a few occasions that Roy Hallee, S&G's producer said that a lot of the S&G analogue masters were in rough shape as constant tinkering by Mr. Simon himself resulted in tons of splices. Wonder if this will be transferred from a digital safety master? Hmmm.

Let's face facts: Even transferring original master analogue tapes to analogue safety masters would result in generational loss. Good old analogue.

Transferring from a 15 i.p.s. tape machine to another 15 i.p.s. tape machine won't really degrade the sound to any extent that your ears are able to perceive. 99% of anything transferred to CD's (or digital) over the last 30 years has come from Safety copies, some even being second or 3rd generation.

The fact is that the first generation mixdown tapes probably don't even exist anymore or, were so worn out from duplication to be completely useless.
Virtually anything that comes from tape is going to have some varying degree of degradation. It's just a fact of life and something we just have to accept.

It must be getting closer. Music Direct, the parent company of Mobile Fidelity, is now advertising the Parsley, Sage Stereo SACD from Simon & Garfunkel along with a MoFi Stereo SACD of Breakfast in America by Supertramp in their latest eNewsletter!

Parsley Sage SACD.jpg

Back