Holiday Gift Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I feel like a topic like this is a good antidote to the sadness found in the "All Good Things..." thread, so tell me this QQ, what surround goodies do you want as Holiday gifts?

In my case, I purchased almost every major release that came out this year, but I failed to pick up any of the Multichannel SACDs released by Dutton Vocalion this year. Now some of the music is definitely not to my liking. However, there are at least three of their SACDs that I would love to receive as Christmas gifts this year, and they are:

-Return to Forever: "Musicmagic"
-Santana/Coltrane: "Illuminations"
-Pure Prairie League: "Two-Lane Highway"/"If The Shoe Fits"

If I received these SACDs for Christmas, that would make me very happy indeed!

So once again, what do you all want for surround holiday gifts this year? Comment below with your answers!

:)

Good idea in this hard time!!!;)

I just started my list yesterday (out from Haikubass' nice overviews)
Djabe / Hackett,steve
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hypnotic Eye

I'm on my own, so I'm the one to make myself happy and I actually did that A LOT in the last couple of days ;), maybe to the point that it's not even pretty.
There's only a couple of releases that I really need left on the list and I'm preeetty sure that I'll get 'em all sooner or later.

However, there's one title that would make me really, really happy, 'cause little did I know this edition was strictly limited to 150 pieces:

Paul Draper - Spooky Action DVD-V

I don't have a specific list, but the standalone Eye In The Sky is a start. A few D V discs would be nice too. My budget is tight and I won't rely on my partner to buy them for me. I do wish for a nice time with my Partner over the holidays and time with my brother and his brood too. That should be enough. Oh, and the standard Peace and Goodwill towards All included too!?

Like Santa to bring me a couple of blu ray concerts I have my eye on:
Hans Zimmer - Live In Prague
Sting - Live At The Olympia Paris

On a side note with regards to new hardware.... I thought at some point I’d be migrating towards 4K, Atmos etc. A couple of weeks ago, I was viewing a new 49” Samsung 4K display at a price point that was hard to say no to and thought my better half might like it for the living room. So we picked it up and repurposed an older 42” Panasonic plasma for the bedroom. So I’m watching some 4K stuff via the YouTube app, and it looks pretty sweet (except the blacks, sigh). So I’m at the same store Saturday and find the Sony 800x 4K shiny disc player at half price, so picked it up and will give it to her for Christmas, along with a 4K movie or two. So the strange thing here is that I am moving towards 4K, just not in my theatre/music room :mad:@:

On a side note with regards to new hardware.... I thought at some point I’d be migrating towards 4K, Atmos etc. A couple of weeks ago, I was viewing a new 49” Samsung 4K display at a price point that was hard to say no to and thought my better half might like it for the living room. So we picked it up and repurposed an older 42” Panasonic plasma for the bedroom. So I’m watching some 4K stuff via the YouTube app, and it looks pretty sweet (except the blacks, sigh). So I’m at the same store Saturday and find the Sony 800x 4K shiny disc player at half price, so picked it up and will give it to her for Christmas, along with a 4K movie or two. So the strange thing here is that I am moving towards 4K, just not in my theatre/music room :mad:@:[/Q

Red...the only way to get those deep blacks...outside of plasma...is with OLED...and they still can't handle motion as well as Plasma...but they are improving in that area...if you are going to purchase a 4k tv it needs to be OLED...because these other 4k tvs are a one trick pony...if they don't have 4k content they revert back to a run of the mill LCD tv...and don't fall for the marketing hype about upscaling normal content and it looks like 4k...that's bs....and the truth is that 4k is not going to be broadcast on mainstream tv..you are not going to be able to watch your local ABC or NBC or CBS in 4k...but when you have an OLED set you get the advantage of those inky blacks on anything you watch..and LG is driving the price down on these OLED sets...because they control the market...because other manufacturers have to purchase their OLED panels from LG...of course Samsung took another path...since they failed in their attempts to produce OLED panels...they did what they usually do..tried the deception path...there so called Quantum technology just happens to have the intials QLED...so when Joe 6 pack comes into a store and sees that..he thinks it is that new technology...and if you work in a place like Best Buy...that salesman is going to let you think that it's OLED...be patient Red...next year LG will have those OLED displays much cheaper:)

On a side note with regards to new hardware.... I thought at some point I’d be migrating towards 4K, Atmos etc. A couple of weeks ago, I was viewing a new 49” Samsung 4K display at a price point that was hard to say no to and thought my better half might like it for the living room. So we picked it up and repurposed an older 42” Panasonic plasma for the bedroom. So I’m watching some 4K stuff via the YouTube app, and it looks pretty sweet (except the blacks, sigh). So I’m at the same store Saturday and find the Sony 800x 4K shiny disc player at half price, so picked it up and will give it to her for Christmas, along with a 4K movie or two. So the strange thing here is that I am moving towards 4K, just not in my theatre/music room :mad:@:[/Q

Red...the only way to get those deep blacks...outside of plasma...is with OLED...and they still can't handle motion as well as Plasma...but they are improving in that area...if you are going to purchase a 4k tv it needs to be OLED...because these other 4k tvs are a one trick pony...if they don't have 4k content they revert back to a run of the mill LCD tv...and don't fall for the marketing hype about upscaling normal content and it looks like 4k...that's bs....and the truth is that 4k is not going to be broadcast on mainstream tv..you are not going to be able to watch your local ABC or NBC or CBS in 4k...but when you have an OLED set you get the advantage of those inky blacks on anything you watch..and LG is driving the price down on these OLED sets...because they control the market...because other manufacturers have to purchase their OLED panels from LG...of course Samsung took another path...since they failed in their attempts to produce OLED panels...they did what they usually do..tried the deception path...there so called Quantum technology just happens to have the intials QLED...so when Joe 6 pack comes into a store and sees that..he thinks it is that new technology...and if you work in a place like Best Buy...that salesman is going to let you think that it's OLED...be patient Red...next year LG will have those OLED displays much cheaper:)

Oh I'm more than patient.:) When I buy for my room, I'll be looking at a 65" OLED I'm sure. With Sony and Panasonic now in the OLED game I'm hoping the prices will come down over the next couple of years. I have a 60" Panasonic plasma in my room now that I'm VERY content with. I'm not a Samsung display fan per se (won't be getting a Q for my room), and only bought this for her. It's just entry level 4K, an M 6300 49" for $499 CDN is a very decent price around these parts. The 42" plasma it's replacing is a 10 year old 720p, still looks good from a distance but is likely on its last legs. Sony's shiny disc 4K machine plays SACD and DVD-A as well, replacing a Sony BX-1 player (Costco's version of the 350, also ancient). It was $199 CDN, also a decent deal, and now we can play some of my discs that were only playable downstairs on the Oppo before. Our living room is small, I have a Sony sound bar with the above items and that's how it will remain. When the time comes, I'll be looking at the video upgrade first, probably that 65" OLED I mentioned, likely a Panasonic or Sony for my room. Then upgrade my Oppo 103 to a 203. Many dollars later probably an AVR to do Atmos/DTS-X( + speakers) and hoping my 3 channel amp will remain in the system, but we'll see. For now, I'll likely start buying 4K movies for play in the living room, with the supplied blu ray in my room for now. Then I'll have the movies already purchased (not that I buy a lot) when I finish upgrading my room. Definitely not in a hurry, I'm actually content :yikes with what I have now.

This one is very good. Some nice surround moments. A much better Sting concert than the last BDV I bought of his concert in Germany. This one is more 'Police-like'.

His son plays on a few tracks including a solo version of David Bowie's 'Ashes To Ashes'. He looks and sounds just like his 'ol man!! I got such a big smile watching him perform that track (the one below is only a fan recorded version):

[video=youtube_share;TEUX0VsXmg0]https://youtu.be/TEUX0VsXmg0[/video]

Is this actual items we want or can it be stuff we wished existed? I really want Aja in 5.1

I meant for it to be things that have already been released or things that are about to be released (like "Eye in the Sky" and "A Farewell to Kings")

:)

This one is very good. Some nice surround moments. A much better Sting concert than the last BDV I bought of his concert in Germany. This one is more 'Police-like'.

His son plays on a few tracks including a solo version of David Bowie's 'Ashes To Ashes'. He looks and sounds just like his 'ol man!! I got such a big smile watching him perform that track (only a fan recorded version):

[video=youtube_share;TEUX0VsXmg0]https://youtu.be/TEUX0VsXmg0[/video]

Wow, he's a DEAD RINGER for his DAD!!!! EVEN SOUNDS like him!!!!!

Back