2018 Grammy Nominations for Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Vanska's complete Beethoven symphonies (in 5.1 surround, of course!) with the Minn. orchestra -- most excellent!

Just now getting into Mahler with the Dutton Vocalion discs. . . .

My opinion doesn't matter but IMO (lol) Kraftwerk's 3D was just about perfect.

They put out something like this once in 20 years and it doesn't win? It's cutting edge surround (atmos) and done as properly as could be. What could possibly be "better"?

Not sure how if I was voting that I could actually rate any release better.

Seems like the grammy's vote more on subjectivity than an proper evaluation of the factors of a surround release.

I have Vanska's complete Beethoven symphonies (in 5.1 surround, of course!) with the Minn. orchestra -- most excellent!

Just now getting into Mahler with the Dutton Vocalion discs. . . .

The Vanska disc is a good one - it's the start of a new cycle. As I've told some other folks, you can get the entire cycle from the LSO with Gergiev for $33 shipped.

I'd hesitate to write off a single one of this year's "Album of the Year" nominees as mediocre. And I'd love to hear Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. mixed for surround!

Kendrick BROUGHT IT tonight! He and Kesha (I never thought I'd say such a thing about her) were easily the highlights of the night.

Exactly.

Has one single member here even heard of any of these?

Reminds me of the 1978 Oscars ... you know, for the year of Saturday Night Fever.
Which of the many hit songs from that movie were nominated?
You know, from that bestselling soundtrack of all time?

None.

Without Googling, can anyone here even name the movie whose song won, let alone the song title?

Grammy and Oscar seem to revel in lauding the soon-forgetten amd never-was.

Exactly.

Has one single member here even heard of any of these?

Reminds me of the 1978 Oscars ... you know, for the year of Saturday Night Fever.
Which of the many hit songs from that movie were nominated?
You know, from that bestselling soundtrack of all time?

None.

Without Googling, can anyone here even name the movie whose song won, let alone the song title?

Grammy and Oscar seem to revel in lauding the soon-forgetten amd never-was.

I've heard the Tyberg masses disc - I like it, but his symphonies are more interesting, at least to me. Kind of inspiring, though, how the composer was killed in the Holocaust, his music was rediscovered through an improbable series of events (a doctor in Buffalo gave his scores to the Buffalo Philharmonic, and it went from there), and then his masses were recorded due to a successful Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/941561091/marcel-tyberg-reviving-music-lost-in-the-holocaust

I agree with the broader point, though, that the nominees were mostly really in the weeds (and I include Tyberg in that).

I appreciate this post. There is indeed a fair amount of overlap between the "Surround" and "Classical Production" categories, so maybe there was also a certain degree of laziness involved when it came to nominating :

SURROUND SOUND FIELD

Best Surround Sound Album:
Early Americans — Jim Anderson, surround mix engineer; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Jim Anderson & Jane Ira Bloom, surround producers (Jane Ira Bloom) -- WINNER
Kleiberg: Mass For Modern Man — Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Eivind Gullberg Jensen & Trondheim Symphony Orchestra And Choir)
So Is My Love — Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Nina T. Karlsen & Ensemble 96)
3-D The Catalogue — Fritz Hilpert, surround mix engineer; Tom Ammermann, surround mastering engineer; Fritz Hilpert, surround producer (Kraftwerk)
Tyberg: Masses — Jesse Brayman, surround mix engineer; Jesse Brayman, surround mastering engineer; Blanton Alspaugh, surround producer (Brian A. Schmidt, Christopher Jacobson & South Dakota Chorale)

PRODUCTION, CLASSICAL FIELD

Best Engineered Album, Classical:
Danielpour: Songs Of Solitude & War Songs — Gary Call, engineer (Thomas Hampson, Giancarlo Guerrero & Nashville Symphony)
Kleiberg: Mass For Modern Man — Morten Lindberg, engineer (Eivind Gullberg Jensen, Trondheim Vokalensemble & Trondheim Symphony Orchestra)
Schoenberg, Adam: American Symphony; Finding Rothko; Picture Studies — Keith O. Johnson & Sean Royce Martin, engineers (Michael Stern & Kansas City Symphony)
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5; Barber: Adagio — Mark Donahue, engineer (Manfred Honeck & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra) -- WINNER
Tyberg: Masses — John Newton, engineer; Jesse Brayman, mastering engineer (Brian A. Schmidt, Christopher Jacobson & South Dakota Chorale)​

But as someone pointed out back when the nominations were announced (I think): for your work to be considered for a nomination, it has to be submitted by a member of the voting panel. (And just about anyone in the industry--artist, composer, engineer--can become a voter if they want to.) But you have to play to win. It's not clear to me how many of the surround albums that QQ members would like to have seen honored were even submitted for consideration.

That said: the Grammys are what they are, just like the Oscars, etc. It's a happy accident when something truly outstanding wins an award, and we can all name plenty of mediocre and/or ephemeral stuff that's taken home a trophy over the decades. Yet at the risk of feeding the trolls: I'd hesitate to write off a single one of this year's "Album of the Year" nominees as mediocre. And I'd love to hear Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. mixed for surround!

I am historically not a fan of hip hop, but I will be the first to admit the Kendrick is super talented. And, I like his music. Yes, I do. And I've said it before....his music should be a no brainer for surround. All those little tick...tick. and sounds they use would be such fun.

Back