2018 Grammy Nominations for Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree....it's mostly an ambient mix but the recording is top notch.

Too bad the Grammys don't highlight surround sound during the actual award ceremony but instead relegate it to a private ceremony mostly attended by tekkies.

If there is a God, Kraftwerk 3D should take home the prize. A simply amazing boxset which I still haven't completely waded through.

And conspicuously absent is Giles Martin's rather tame remix of Sgt. Pepper.......so much for politics! I should think that would've been a shoo in.

Ya all the actual good music gets snubbed like the people this year. You never see real musicians get awards. Disintegrated into what it is all politics- social acceptance

People do realize that even though most of what's talked about here is vintage stuff, the vast majority of surround sound being issued, year after year, is original recordings. Here's the list of Grammy noms and winners from past years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Surround_Sound_Album - what does it say that Morten Lindberg has been nominated once or twice in most years yet most people on this site haven't listened to one of his albums?

This was one of their releases that was nominated last year; the material is fairly popular classical fare. I'd suggest giving it a try: http://www.2l.no/pages/album/125.html - there's a reason he keeps being nominated.

Grammies are nothing but a joke. Nigel Godrich nominated in the best engineered album category for Is this the Life we really Want? Amazing.

In the inverse? It wouldn't be totally crazy. Free PR for unknown records.

Edit to add: I'm listening to Tyberg's 2nd Symphony now on Spotify and really like it, and will be ordering the Tyberg Masses disc. Apparently he was somewhat well-known in his day but was killed in the Holocaust and his music effectively disappeared until recently. The idiom is kind of like the music of Anton Bruckner, only more conventional.

As a result of this thread I pretty much discovered Tyberg's music - I'd kind of assumed it was modern, but it's from the early 20th century and very much composed in the idiom of the late 19th century. Tyberg himself was a devout Catholic who was killed in the holocaust for being 1/16th Jewish, and his music disappeared for 70 years until the Buffalo Philharmonic took up his cause.

And...the 2nd Symphony is good, but the 3rd Symphony is an outright masterpiece (both were released on Naxos). This is my favorite unknown composer discovery since I discovered the music of Albéric Magnard, but even he's better known than Marcel Tyberg. All thanks to the Grammy Nomination...and this thread.

Naxos supposedly creates a surround mix of all their orchestral recordings...now to convince them to release the surround mixes of these symphonies :)

WINNER IS "EARLY AMERICANS".........................

:confused:

The Grammy's annoy me "to the bone".

One nice thing is that the powers that be fly out and listen to the albums together in the same room.

Your 'Antiquasauria' album should not only have been nominated for a Surround Grammy in 2015, it should have won. So much unheard surround music is out there and hardly anyone notices. What a crock.

My post regarding my opinion was in November. Since, we all are aware of what has been occurring in the world, I will be brief and not touch hot topics.
This bullshit has overtaken everything! TV shows, the stories they tell on them, of course news, music, football, and every other medium - including the web.
Back to the Grammy awards- I am cashing out!
I have had enough! They can have it! It's no longer music anyway. I have no desire to discuss this issue further, my opinion, thanks!
PS - To each his own! Enjoy !!

Your 'Antiquasauria' album should not only have been nominated for a Surround Grammy in 2015, it should have won. So much unheard surround music is out there and hardly anyone notices. What a crock.

That's very nice of you to say, Jon. I hope to continue releasing music in surround. :banana:

WINNER IS "EARLY AMERICANS".........................

:confused:

The Grammy's annoy me "to the bone".

I mean, these are all deserving nominees. And I'd suggest that these nominees actually do have better surround engineering than anything in the pop arena. And this is a constant pretty much in any era, that what's being done for classical (and increasingly jazz, as it retreats into an even smaller niche).

The solution seems pretty obvious, and it's something the academy has been doing for decades on engineering - have separate categories for classical and non-classical. I'd include jazz in the classical mix and change the names, but otherwise I think it would make everyone happy.

While I'm at it, a few other winners and nominees that happened to be released in surround (all SACD):

Winners:
2258555.jpg(Best Engineered Album, Classical, Best Orchestral Performance)

Nominees:
81uxgURl-cL._SL500_.jpg91fxvTjGdqL._SL500_.jpg81dHDpjwoSL._SL500_.jpg
71vHEU41c4L._SL500_.jpg91MvOtJcNtL._SL500_.jpg

I mean, these are all deserving nominees. And I'd suggest that these nominees actually do have better surround engineering than anything in the pop arena. And this is a constant pretty much in any era, that what's being done for classical (and increasingly jazz, as it retreats into an even smaller niche).

The solution seems pretty obvious, and it's something the academy has been doing for decades on engineering - have separate categories for classical and non-classical. I'd include jazz in the classical mix and change the names, but otherwise I think it would make everyone happy.

Thanks for providing that input...I have zero knowledge of the classical hi rez discs...without knowing much about classical...I have noticed jazz titles... over the years.. generally had superior sound quality on CD's to rock/pop titles...but I did notice that when blu ray audio was introduced...it was classical music that embraced it first....it was quite a while before any rock/pop titles were released that way..

I appreciate this post. There is indeed a fair amount of overlap between the "Surround" and "Classical Production" categories, so maybe there was also a certain degree of laziness involved when it came to nominating :

SURROUND SOUND FIELD

Best Surround Sound Album:
Early Americans — Jim Anderson, surround mix engineer; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Jim Anderson & Jane Ira Bloom, surround producers (Jane Ira Bloom) -- WINNER
Kleiberg: Mass For Modern Man — Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Eivind Gullberg Jensen & Trondheim Symphony Orchestra And Choir)
So Is My Love — Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Nina T. Karlsen & Ensemble 96)
3-D The Catalogue — Fritz Hilpert, surround mix engineer; Tom Ammermann, surround mastering engineer; Fritz Hilpert, surround producer (Kraftwerk)
Tyberg: Masses — Jesse Brayman, surround mix engineer; Jesse Brayman, surround mastering engineer; Blanton Alspaugh, surround producer (Brian A. Schmidt, Christopher Jacobson & South Dakota Chorale)

PRODUCTION, CLASSICAL FIELD

Best Engineered Album, Classical:
Danielpour: Songs Of Solitude & War Songs — Gary Call, engineer (Thomas Hampson, Giancarlo Guerrero & Nashville Symphony)
Kleiberg: Mass For Modern Man — Morten Lindberg, engineer (Eivind Gullberg Jensen, Trondheim Vokalensemble & Trondheim Symphony Orchestra)
Schoenberg, Adam: American Symphony; Finding Rothko; Picture Studies — Keith O. Johnson & Sean Royce Martin, engineers (Michael Stern & Kansas City Symphony)
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5; Barber: Adagio — Mark Donahue, engineer (Manfred Honeck & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra) -- WINNER
Tyberg: Masses — John Newton, engineer; Jesse Brayman, mastering engineer (Brian A. Schmidt, Christopher Jacobson & South Dakota Chorale)​

But as someone pointed out back when the nominations were announced (I think): for your work to be considered for a nomination, it has to be submitted by a member of the voting panel. (And just about anyone in the industry--artist, composer, engineer--can become a voter if they want to.) But you have to play to win. It's not clear to me how many of the surround albums that QQ members would like to have seen honored were even submitted for consideration.

That said: the Grammys are what they are, just like the Oscars, etc. It's a happy accident when something truly outstanding wins an award, and we can all name plenty of mediocre and/or ephemeral stuff that's taken home a trophy over the decades. Yet at the risk of feeding the trolls: I'd hesitate to write off a single one of this year's "Album of the Year" nominees as mediocre. And I'd love to hear Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. mixed for surround!

It was a HER Snood: http://www.sonoluminus.com/p-417-early-americans.aspx

Actually, an excellent album [I do have it].

HR Audio Review: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11877#reviews

Well Ralphie...since I've been so hard on you about your lossy hatred...and it is actually on topic here...since Darcy is on the winning team...here is an olive branch for you..something you will love hearing from 2014..

[video=youtube;7zYC9jh22fI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYC9jh22fI[/video]

I like surround classical a lot. There are times when I just crank it up in the car and bask in its vastness! :music

I just think that it should be separated from pop/rock/vocal as its' a whole different animal.

Well Ralphie...since I've been so hard on you about your lossy hatred...and it is actually on topic here...since Darcy is on the winning team...here is an olive branch for you..something you will love hearing from 2014..

[video=youtube;7zYC9jh22fI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYC9jh22fI[/video]

As I type these words, the lovely Darcy Proper [BTW, a fellow New Yorker] is echoing my sentiments most eloquently. Lower resolutions are for the unwashed. Hopefully, Clint, you'll jump in the jacuzzi [for atonement] after listening to her plea for HIGHER RESOLUTIONS!:ugham:

Meanwhile, I picked up this 23 track 2018 Grammy Nomination RBCD from Deep Discount for $8.49 delivered, and IMO, it's pretty awesome: https://www.amazon.com/2018-GRAMMY®...qid=1517185507&sr=1-1&keywords=2018+grammy+cd

I'm DVRing the show [7:30 EST] and will watch it at my convenience....zipping through ALL those commercials.

Thanks, Clint: Olive Branch ACCEPTED!
BTW, was it from the Garden of Eden?

Back