HiRez Poll RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
My finger is turning green.

Huh???? Translation please? "Ai no espikin ingrich" ;)

BTW....NOOOWWWWW I'm starting to get the gist of the mix...my first listen was too "outta left field" for me... I felt like a Minion , going.."WHAAAAAAA?????"...
34e2acfc98eab50f1bd82013e7084a23--minions-love-funny-minion.jpg

So , RADICAL MIX it is , then....I shoulda' started there!!!

Still, a couple of things that make my head tilt sideways trying to figure out stuff..(meow?)

So I made the first pass on the new surround & the result is friggin' awesome. No comparison to the old 5.1. Clint will be disappointed to know I haven't begun work on the necklace yet. :)

One oddity I noticed while loading the stereo version from the blu ray is that the new version is louder by 2ish db than the 96/24 2015 version I got from HD Tracks and has a slightly different DR pattern. I had thought that those would've been identical (and for that reason I almost didn't load the stereo from the new blu ray at all). I use JRiver normalization, so I was able to reasonably A/B Closer to the Heart and though they were pretty close, the HD Tracks may have been a bit warmer. Curious to hear what anybody else that has the HD Tracks version might think...

Anyway, great addition to the collection!

One oddity I noticed while loading the stereo version from the blu ray is that the new version is louder by 2ish db than the 96/24 2015 version I got from HD Tracks and has a slightly different DR pattern. I had thought that those would've been identical (and for that reason I almost didn't load the stereo from the new blu ray at all). I use JRiver normalization, so I was able to reasonably A/B Closer to the Heart and though they were pretty close, the HD Tracks may have been a bit warmer. Curious to hear what anybody else that has the HD Tracks version might think...
That's troubling... Would you be willing to upload the Blu-ray and CD stereo DR to the database?

That's troubling... Would you be willing to upload the Blu-ray and CD stereo DR to the database?

I don't want to upload to the official database, as I do some tweaking with fades & things like that - nothing to change the volume though & probably not enough to cause any real differences in the DR, but still not factory official. I ripped from the blu ray with DVD Audio Extractor. Looking at the wavs, they are clearly different. The new one definitely has the volume maximized, though it isn't necessarily compressed. Here's what I'm seeing (I didn't rip the CD):

2015 Remaster HDTracks 96/24
_ DR ReplayGain
1. 12 -2.58 dB
2. 12 -2.79 dB
3. 13 +0.95 dB
4. 13 -0.24 dB
5. 14 +4.82 dB
6. 11 -3.72 dB

2017 40th Anniversary Blu Ray 96/24
_ DR ReplayGain
1. 10 -6.49 dB
2. 11 -4.48 dB
3. 12 -4.66 dB
4. 13 -3.68 dB
5. 14 -0.31 dB
6. 10 -5.70 dB
7. 9 +2.64 dB

Huh???? Translation please? "Ai no espikin ingrich" ;)

BTW....NOOOWWWWW I'm starting to get the gist of the mix...my first listen was too "outta left field" for me... I felt like a Minion , going.."WHAAAAAAA?????"...
View attachment 31438

So , RADICAL MIX it is , then....I shoulda' started there!!!

Still, a couple of things that make my head tilt sideways trying to figure out stuff..(meow?)

When you were a kid did you never have a cheap necklace that turned your neck green?

This is what I've always envisioned when thinking what a Rush album should sound like in surround. Superb!

This mix is everything I was hoping for! I always thought the Rush mixes were excellent. The HD reissues that finally came around a couple years ago sounded like the recordings the original albums were made from. That was a great thing to finally hear after a few rounds of appalling sounding CD reissues! This is just an over the top treat now. I don't hear anything missing from the original mix aesthetic. Just improvement all the way around. The original drum mix that certainly had accurately balanced drums has been put to shame here. Not just the surround perspective of his kit layout but the sound and ambience of every drum is dialed right in. You can HEAR it's a double bass kit. (In the original, you could only tell from the obvious double kick licks played. The sound of both kicks was homogeneous.)

Pretty obvious huge improvement on the bass guitar too. And the vocal mix. And...

There is something missing though. The heartbeat missing at the end of the album! Wonder what the story is on that? Could they have added that part live during the original mix (oldschool mixing flashback)? Seems like the kind of thing that could actually be recreated quite well and no one would have been the wiser.

Heh, and Rush doing their best Hawkwind impression with that bonus track of their sound fx experimentation improv they did for the opening of Cygnus X1.

I have considered Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres a double album for a long time so really hoping Hemispheres is next on the mixing desk! They've just got to let this happen for everything from Fly By Night thru Moving Pictures though!

I was really hoping those crude bootleg sounding 5.1 mix attempt failures on those "Sectors" releases would not be let to stand so this is very very welcome! (I'm still not convinced those are legit releases but I've seen worse that are before.)

Last edited:
First of all, I love this album and this mix. I'm not sure where my vote will end up, but probably and 8 or 9.

Reasoning:

Value: not happy that the record company locked this in a mega-expensive box - it is cool that the promo videos on the blu-ray are synced to the 5.1 mixes, but they could have also added the concert and other bonus tracks in hi-res stereo. Some kind of 40th anniversary documentary would have been nice too.

Fidelity: awesome - glad this isn't hissy, highs sound crisp, bass is powerful

Music: this is in the Rush golden years, baby

Mix: we have a bit of a quirky mix - I like it, but there are a few elements that make me go "huh"?
1. Missing heartbeat at the end
2. Nylon guitar starts out in front for FtK, but is in the rears at the end - possible if the guitarist walked back there, I guess - probably the best placement, arrangement-wise both times, so probably a good call, but static would make me feel a little more settled, I think. (The bass audibly "walks" from the back of the room to the front of the room during Cygnus, so... I'm glad this is a daring mix - it's just quirky)
3. The drums... to my ears, it sounds as though Wilson has mixed them in what I've learned to call "the British way" - as if you're facing the drummer - no problem there. Weird thing is, the set also sweeps around the listener. Sweeping around the listener would make more sense to me if the drums were mixed "the American way" - as if the listener is behind the drummer, or in front, but facing the crowd. Or how I experimented with drums on Disturbing the Universe - as if you are the drummer, with the kit wrapping around you. IDK, it just seems logically, with this mix, as if you're looking at the drummer in a funhouse warped mirror. The drums ought to wrap around the drummer, yet they wrap around you instead. :mad:@::smokin:confused::smokin:mad:@:

Really blows that they have to package this with so much stuff above and beyond the blu-ray that it's cost prohibitive. Offering a deluxe package and the single blu-ray would be the way to go, but greed rules as usual.

The Wilson re-mixed XTC series on blu-ray is the best example of how to properly treat classic releases and include a massive amount of bonus material without resorting to maximizing profits!!!

Baggy settled in on a 9. Mix is awesome, but not perfect. The heartbeat is no big deal, but it's strange that it got dropped or overlooked.
I'm not a fan of trapping 5.1 is super deluxe boxes, so I'm using my point for content in protest.
This is a must-hear mix, especially for Rush fans. I hope they do Hemi and PeW (among others).

WOW ..... I had ordered this from Bull Moose only to be told that they never received their shipment , found it brand new on Amazon even cheaper , This is the only way to listen to RUSH . The clarity the punch of the kick and Bass guitar together ! You can really crank this up and not get ear fatigue . You can feel the Synths tickle your brain. Very nice packaging. Xanadu is a real gem ! Once again Mr. Wilson has saved a great album ! I now wish that he continues to redo and move forward with the rest of the catalog !

Baggy settled in on a 9. Mix is awesome, but not perfect. The heartbeat is no big deal, but it's strange that it got dropped or overlooked.
I'm not a fan of trapping 5.1 is super deluxe boxes, so I'm using my point for content in protest.
This is a must-hear mix, especially for Rush fans. I hope they do Hemi and PeW (among others).

Really... I was thinking to myself, how many people have said this about the box set: "Oh, exactly what I wanted in this set, CDs, blu ray and vinyl cause I need all 3." :rolleyes:

Back