Thanks Thanks:  53
Likes Likes:  89

View Poll Results: Rate the BDA of RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

12 92.31%

1 7.69%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 reissue of the classic RUSH album "A Farewell to Kings".
    Reissued for its 40th anniversary, the box set contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray remixed by Steven Wilson.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is to be used to discuss the 40th anniversary Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix.
    To make comments about the 2011 5.1 surround mix, please use this thread: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...INGS-DVD-A-BDA

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Black Sea" (XTC); "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star skherbeck's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entrySocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audi

Steven Wilson is a genius and a god. (Yes, I pray to him... right now I'm praying for another Rush surround release)

This is the definitive way to listen to this album. No other version, stereo or surround, even comes close.

This is the way I've always dreamed Rush could sound in surround... every song is full of surround surprises! I assumed Steven would put various percussion, synthesizers, and sound effects in the surround channels, but he's achieved so much more with this mix in terms of spreading the drums around the room (and he does it differently from song to song, and even within a given song), varying where vocals come from, or where the instruments are located (again, sometimes varying where they come from within a given song). There's a moment in one song where the bass fades in from somewhere behind you, eventually kicking-in at full volume front and center. Elsewhere, a quiet moment occurs where it's just Getty's voice and his bass, but this time the bass is up front, and his vocals are in the rears, singing to you in stereo. The acoustic guitars spread out around you in "Cinderella Man" are gorgeous. There are guitars popping up in the rears throughout the album. There's a solo on one song where Alex sweeps back and forth between the LF and RF, then at a key moment briefly zooms back to the left rear, immediately returning to the fronts... there are cool little moments like this throughout. The "Xanadu" mix here kicks the mix on Sector's butt. And "Cygnus" is an epic masterpiece of surround... it's never been my favorite song on the album until tonight!

I must say, though, that the most exciting thing about this mix is how incredible the drums sound, especially the way the fills swirl around the room, toms sweeping across you. I thought maybe other Rush albums wouldn't sound very good in surround when the arrangements are mainly just Alex, Getty, and Neil (just guitar, bass, and drums), but I'm confident after hearing this album that Steven would be able to make a great surround mix from the sparcest of Rush albums.

Also, I really found myself enjoying the screen-savers that play during each song... they perfectly capture the mood and are somewhat mesmerizing.

Another thing: there's an endless loop of cool Cygnus sound effects in surround that plays when the menu screen is on... best surround menu music mix ever.

Finally: The ring is cool! This is a 10 all the way.
    Last edited by skherbeck; 12-02-2017 at 06:09 AM.
    "One Quad to rule them all, One Quad to find them; One Quad to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
    "The Quad is what gives a Sound System its power. It's a sound field created by four pulsing speakers that surrounds us and penetrates us."

300 Club - QQ All Star Which_One_Is_Pink's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audi

Mine was waiting for me when I got home tonight!

Just listening to the stereo via headphones tonight!
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
    --- Unknown ---

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you on experience!"
    --- Unknown ---

"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
    --- Ralph Waldo Emerson ---

"Music make me happy, multichannel music make me very happy!"
    --- Me : ) ---

4. Thanks skherbeck, Snood, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes skherbeck, Snood, Clint Eastwood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveSocial10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

A fantastic mix!
    Everything is perfect!
    10!
    One day at a time!
    (331 DVD-Audios, 477 Multichannel-SACDs, 52 Stereo-SACDs, 28 Blu-Ray-Audio, 116 Audio-DVD/DTS-CDs)

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Could this release dethrone DSOTM? Great to see GG at #2...

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Super Deluxe package the only way to get the 5.1 mix? That looks to be the case.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etzeppy View Post
    Is the Super Deluxe package the only way to get the 5.1 mix? That looks to be the case.
    Yes and no future standalone is being considered..

9. Likes JediJoker liked this post
    Surround Sound Enthusiast JediJoker's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    ...yet.
    - JediJoker

11. Thanks Clint Eastwood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

This sealed it for me. I sprang for the Super Deluxe.

13. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, dr. simple liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
    This sealed it for me. I sprang for the Super Deluxe.

At least you have one thing going for you by not going on the first wave of purchasers...you already know that the surround is good...when you are an early adopter(by getting it thru pre order)you are facing the possibility that the surround is disappointing...I came into the surround hobby later than most...so I was usually in "catch up" mode and paying a premium on the secondary markets for these out of print titles...but by waiting I wasn't wasting money on titles that weren't any good...I remember paying $140 for the tom petty anthology box set to just get the surround disc...others paid less than $30 for it when Best Buy had it as an exclusive...but you know what...I never regretted that decision because it was excellent...the main thing is you will have it..and at the end of the day...that's what counts...you will have chances to save money on other releases...it all works out in the end

15. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes himey, edisonbaggins, sbrom, peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't listened to it yet but man the contents of the box are cool, right down to the crush velvet lining in the box, hope to listen to this puppy soon.
    In one o' dose TOP SECRET LABMO-TORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, de gubbnint set to woikn' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys! De done whiffed up a secret POTIUM deh jes' mights be de FINAL SOLUTION

17. Thanks Clint Eastwood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, GOS, peterzach, Snood liked this post
    900 Club - QQ All Star DennisMabry's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Rush AFTK is, in a word "Fantastic"! First of all this is my favorite Rush album (followed very closely by 2112). So I know them both by heart. The box is very nice, more than I needed but very nice. I think the LP's are a nice addition. I like vinyl, so maybe I'm biased in that regard. The Steven Wilson mix on the Blu-ray is very good as well. As many have said it would be tough to remix this album, again, but he did a great job. It has a much cleaner sound. The use of surrounds for the many sound effects on this recording are finally utilized. After listening I have a whole new appreciation for the song "Cinderella Man". Wow! The visuals that accompany the album are also a nice touch and a bit mesmerizing!

I must add that I do like the Richard Chycki mix on the previous Sector box as well. Allow me to explain. The RC mix is probably a little more dynamic, and when cranked has a bit more visceral impact, probably due to it being mostly in the front speakers with some ambiance and a little discrete use of surrounds. This gives it more of a concert feel, however it fails to take advantage of all the subtle textures on this album that are so perfect for surround listening. On the SW mix, he brings out so much more detail of the recording and smooths out the rough edges. So at a slightly more normal listening level you are enveloped in the mix, and hear things never heard before. That is what I look for in a good mix and SW does not disappoint. Neil Peart's drumming is so layered and complex and spreading some of it to the rears helps open it up. I guess it's all in what you want. As a Rush fan and collector of 5.1 music, I'm glad to have both mixes!

One observation; At the very end of Cygnus X-1, the heartbeat sound has been removed for both 5.1 audio options - DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD. It is still intact on the stereo version.

Still, an easy 10.

Dennis

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so first time round I must say Mr. Wilson slammed this one out of the park, it is just perfect to my ears. I am amazed at the perfect balance of the entire surround field on this one. This to me is dam near the gold standard of a how
    a 5.1 should be done for this type of music. Dam fine stuff. And to top it off that cork heading into the black hole just adds icing on the cake. This package is a work of art.

Roger and Dave, take some notes and get animals done like this!
    In one o' dose TOP SECRET LABMO-TORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, de gubbnint set to woikn' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys! De done whiffed up a secret POTIUM deh jes' mights be de FINAL SOLUTION

20. Thanks skherbeck, Clint Eastwood, himey, Snood thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got mine last night. Have not had a chance to spin anything yet. The packaging is real cool, but I do have one little stupid nit-picky gripe. None of the box sides have any lettering on them at all, so unless you have the room to display the box facing forward (I don't), it is going to just be a brown blob on the shelf. Gilmour's Rattle That Lock had the same annoyance (or was it Endless River? One of the two). It is unimportant in the larger scope of things, but it bugs me.

I'll report back after the weekend when I've had a chance to check out the important stuff.

22. Thanks Clint Eastwood, skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, skherbeck, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my box set yesterday, and have now spun the surround version a couple of times. Really pleased with the mix. Did anyone else notice the new "oooohh" from Geddy coming right after the solo in Closer to the Heart? Never heard that before! (It's only on the surround mix)

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skindzier View Post
    Just got mine last night. Have not had a chance to spin anything yet. The packaging is real cool, but I do have one little stupid nit-picky gripe. None of the box sides have any lettering on them at all, so unless you have the room to display the box facing forward (I don't), it is going to just be a brown blob on the shelf. Gilmour's Rattle That Lock had the same annoyance (or was it Endless River? One of the two). It is unimportant in the larger scope of things, but it bugs me.

I'll report back after the weekend when I've had a chance to check out the important stuff.
    If you don't mind....let us know what your plans are for the RING...are you going to wear it...display it....give it to someone special

25. Thanks skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes Perpendicular, Snood, skherbeck, GOS liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

Quote Originally Posted by skindzier View Post
    Gilmour's Rattle That Lock had the same annoyance (or was it Endless River? One of the two). It is unimportant in the larger scope of things, but it bugs me.
    Both, actually, as well as the Bruford Seems Like A Lifetime Ago box. Is it really too much to ask for text on the spine?
    - JediJoker

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind....let us know what your plans are for the RING...are you going to wear it...display it....give it to someone special
    Maybe turn it into a necklace. 😁

28. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

In fact, I could drill holes in the marbles from the Immersion sets and make the coolest necklace of all time... 🤘

30. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes JediJoker, Clint Eastwood, GOS, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hennkris View Post
    I got my box set yesterday, and have now spun the surround version a couple of times. Really pleased with the mix. Did anyone else notice the new "oooohh" from Geddy coming right after the solo in Closer to the Heart? Never heard that before! (It's only on the surround mix)

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    ya I did right away, forget to mention that in the last post

500 Club - QQ All Star quadanasaziland's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

My finger is turning green.

Ah but what a way to break in my new 203 this weekend!
    Dave

Todd is God, KINDA!

33. Likes Snood liked this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quadanasaziland View Post
    My finger is turning green.

Huh???? Translation please? "Ai no espikin ingrich"

BTW....NOOOWWWWW I'm starting to get the gist of the mix...my first listen was too "outta left field" for me... I felt like a Minion , going.."WHAAAAAAA?????"...
    34e2acfc98eab50f1bd82013e7084a23--minions-love-funny-minion.jpg

So , RADICAL MIX it is , then....I shoulda' started there!!!

Still, a couple of things that make my head tilt sideways trying to figure out stuff..(meow?)
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kap'n krunch View Post
    Huh???? Translation please? "Ai no espikin ingrich"
    From the ring. Finger circulation cut off.
    - JediJoker

36. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, quadanasaziland liked this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
    From the ring. Finger circulation cut off.
    Ahhhhhhh, THANK YOU!!!! Merci...but it would turn purple or blue...gangrene takes way longer!!!
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

So I made the first pass on the new surround & the result is friggin' awesome. No comparison to the old 5.1. Clint will be disappointed to know I haven't begun work on the necklace yet.

One oddity I noticed while loading the stereo version from the blu ray is that the new version is louder by 2ish db than the 96/24 2015 version I got from HD Tracks and has a slightly different DR pattern. I had thought that those would've been identical (and for that reason I almost didn't load the stereo from the new blu ray at all). I use JRiver normalization, so I was able to reasonably A/B Closer to the Heart and though they were pretty close, the HD Tracks may have been a bit warmer. Curious to hear what anybody else that has the HD Tracks version might think...

Anyway, great addition to the collection!

39. Thanks JediJoker, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes himey, Clint Eastwood liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast