NEW Surround SACDs from Dutton Vocalion (December 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the batch is back! I mean, the 1st batch is here! :yikes :wave :worthy :woopie

in this bundle, I ordered;

Hugo Montenegro - Mammy Blue & Rocket Man: A Tribute To Elton John (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Henry Mancini - Symphonic Soul & Return Of The Pink Panther (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Ray Conniff - Send In The Clowns & Theme From S.W.A.T. and Other TV Themes (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Percy Faith - Clair & Joy (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Ray Conniff - Alone Again (Naturally) & Love Theme From The Quadfather (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

mgqJtXF.jpg

pCzVrby.jpg

The BATCH is BACK, indeed* [:ugham:] Now we know where ALL Santa's little Elves are :banana::banana::banana::banana:: assisting Michael Dutton . Us Yanks have to wait until after Christmas
for this batch of goodies. Let us know what you think, Adam?

*SLEAZY LISTENING, MAMMY, er, ADAMBLUE?

The BATCH is BACK, indeed* [:ugham:] Now we know where ALL Santa's little Elves are :banana::banana::banana::banana:: assisting Michael Dutton . Us Yanks have to wait until after Christmas
for this batch of goodies. Let us know what you think, Adam?

*SLEAZY LISTENING

do you want the truth or something beautiful...! :p

long and the short of it is (I had to go out before I got through them all, I've played the Hugo M., the Mancini, the Percy Faith and one of the Ray C.'s, I still have the Ray Conniff Alone Again/Godfather disc to try out) set aside for a moment if these are not one's usual cup of tea (if 41 year old me were to go back in time and tell 21 year old me I'd be enraptured by the likes of Hugo Montenegro or Percy Faith I'd have told the old/new me to piss off and get back to Nirvana or something..) anyway, enough of the flashbacks, with regards to sound quality and surroundy-ness these are for the most part simply STUNNING.

ok, so to get the small gripes out of the way, after the absolutely pristine sound of the Rocket Man Quad, the sound quality on Mammy Blue is, to my ears, maybe not as good (the mix is more active and outrageous, love that!) and fidelity maybe dips in a few spots, I think, there may be some distortion or tape degradation, I would need to check it out again a few times, maybe on another system to be sure before I say anything too much about it either way so don't hang on my word in that regard, Ralph.

what else? well, not a lot else, other than a massive amount of joy at hearing these discrete and pristine! the Henry Mancini is absolutely gorgeous sound and both active immersive surround mixes, with Symphonic Soul being more my thing musically than the Pink Panther but as with the Montenegro disc I found myself being just as impressed by the surround on the album I didn't know (Pink Panther) as the familiar one from farting around with old CD-4s/Q8s.. the Percy Faith stuff, while totally kicking the assets of my SQ LPs of the same albums, maybe doesn't sound quite as impressive as the Conniff Clowns/SWAT or the Mancini 2-fer or Rocket Man but that is some stiff competition, the others all sound incredible by any benchmark (Mammy Blue in places aside as prev mentioned).. I need to play them all a good few more times before I comment further but at this point, wow wow wow, how DV are going to top this I don't know.. in 2017 we've had a great number of fine Quad releases across many genres from these guys, pretty much something for everyone; jazz/fusion, Classical, country/rock, easy light & latin and beyond from DV this year.. maybe some R&B or Rock gems may be coming down our way in the months ahead and 2018 could be another good year for us with more goodies to come from these fine fellows! the standard is high already, I'm excited to find out where they go from here aren't you! :bounce

do you want the truth or something beautiful...! :p

long and the short of it is (I had to go out before I got through them all, I've played the Hugo M., the Mancini, the Percy Faith and one of the Ray C.'s, I still have the Ray Conniff Alone Again/Godfather disc to try out) set aside for a moment if these are not one's usual cup of tea (if 41 year old me were to go back in time and tell 21 year old me I'd be enraptured by the likes of Hugo Montenegro or Percy Faith I'd have told the old/new me to piss off and get back to Nirvana or something..) anyway, enough of the flashbacks, with regards to sound quality and surroundy-ness these are for the most part simply STUNNING.

ok, so to get the small gripes out of the way, after the absolutely pristine sound of the Rocket Man Quad, the sound quality on Mammy Blue is, to my ears, maybe not as good (the mix is more active and outrageous, love that!) and fidelity maybe dips in a few spots, I think, there may be some distortion or tape degradation, I would need to check it out again a few times, maybe on another system to be sure before I say anything too much about it either way so don't hang on my word in that regard, Ralph.

what else? well, not a lot else, other than a massive amount of joy at hearing these discrete and pristine! the Henry Mancini is absolutely gorgeous sound and both active immersive surround mixes, with Symphonic Soul being more my thing musically than the Pink Panther but as with the Montenegro disc I found myself being just as impressed by the surround on the album I didn't know (Pink Panther) as the familiar one from farting around with old CD-4s/Q8s.. the Percy Faith stuff, while totally kicking the assets of my SQ LPs of the same albums, maybe doesn't sound quite as impressive as the Conniff Clowns/SWAT or the Mancini 2-fer or Rocket Man but that is some stiff competition, the others all sound incredible by any benchmark (Mammy Blue in places aside as prev mentioned).. I need to play them all a good few more times before I comment further but at this point, wow wow wow, how DV are going to top this I don't know.. in 2017 we've had a great number of fine Quad releases across many genres from these guys, pretty much something for everyone; jazz/fusion, Classical, country/rock, easy light & latin and beyond from DV this year.. maybe some R&B or Rock gems may be coming down our way in the months ahead and 2018 could be another good year for us with more goodies to come from these fine fellows! the standard is high already, I'm excited to find out where they go from here aren't you! :bounce

WOW, thanks, Adam. You're a man after my own soul. Like yourself, Easy Listening is NOT a high priority but it's just encouraging that in such a short span of time this once 'mild~mannered' reissue company of old big band hits, classical and schmaltz has managed to reissue so many quality QUAD SACDs reissues in such a short span of time.

Something for everyone, except of course, Heavy Metal/Punk rocker enthusiasts but oh, well....they'll get over it.

For 2018, while D~V is on this massive roll, I do predict a few classic rock and pop SACD releases as Michael Dutton seems to have a splendid rapport with the folks at SONY/RCA/ARISTA, etc and I know I've done MY part by ordering ALL of them [classical/popular] to support the cause....some of which are against my better judgment.....but time's a wasting' and I know this cornucopia will subside at some point [like Audio Fidelity.....sigh!].

In the meantime, ENJOY. We're all going to get old and someday those Percy Faith and Ray Conniff discs might come in handy.:yikes

Thanks buddy for your mini~reviews.

Snood chose the Chet Atkins & Doc Severinsen discs :banana: - Listened to a bit of each - love me some good geeeetar and horns :cool:

Why aren't these also available as DSD digital downloads???????????

I just discovered this thread and want to buy and listen to these right now! I may not be willing to spend the money once I sober up tomorrow. They are missing a lot of money from folks who live for the moment and want instant gratification.

Why aren't these also available as DSD digital downloads???????????

I just discovered this thread and want to buy and listen to these right now! I may not be willing to spend the money once I sober up tomorrow. They are missing a lot of money from folks who live for the moment and want instant gratification.

It depends on what Dutton Vocalion is able to license from Sony Music UK.
At this point, it looks like their license is for Surround Sound SACDs, not DSD Downloads.

On the other hand, Acoustic Sounds has licenses from all 3 major record labels in the US that allows them to release albums in both SACD and DSD Download format on some titles.
The Acoustic Sounds DSD Download sales are limited to customers in the US and Canada.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Any&CategoryID=391&OrderBy=14

It depends on what Dutton Vocalion is able to license from Sony Music UK.
At this point, it looks like their license is for Surround Sound SACDs, not DSD Downloads.

On the other hand, Acoustic Sounds has licenses from all 3 major record labels in the US that allows them to release albums in both SACD and DSD Download format on some titles.
The Acoustic Sounds DSD Download sales are limited to customers in the US and Canada.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Any&CategoryID=391&OrderBy=14

I'm in the U.S. and have purchased downloads from AcousticSounds in the past. I didn't realize it was a licensing issue with Sony. Just frustrated as I want to listen to the Dutton Vocalion's tonight! Thanks!

I'm in the U.S. and have purchased downloads from AcousticSounds in the past. I didn't realize it was a licensing issue with Sony. Just frustrated as I want to listen to the Dutton Vocalion's tonight! Thanks!

It's a licensing issue with all of the record labels, not just Sony Music.
In general, they tend to be more likely to allow reissues on SACD disc form than DSD Downloads.

That could change, of course, as the sales of optical discs continue to decline.

Acoustic Sounds has a nice catalog of DSD Downloads. It's one of over 30 download sites these days with DSD Downloads.
Check the NativeDSD Database at http://www.nativedsd.com/database for links to all of the DSD Download sites.

And the DSD Downloads forum here on QQ.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?89-DSD-Download-Forum

Seven of them arrived today. The Chester B. Atkins didn't - Simon at Dutton Vocalion forewarned me that it might not be in time for Christmas.

So far I've tried the Henry Mancini - Return Of The Pink Panther twofer and the Ray Conniff disc with Shaft & Love Theme From The Godfather.

Both are good. Really good. Excellent surround mixes, tonally very nice indeed. I have to confess that I've long had a liking for elevator music and easy listening so I am more than happy with the material.

The Conniff is impeccably manicured - predictably so. Nevertheless Godfather & Shaft sound great. A super version of Because seemingly written by Dave Clark.

The Mancini is wonderful. Dynamic, some very unusual instrumental effects, always a surprise around the corner.

2 down. 5 to go. Enjoying it.

By the last delivery of mail before Christmas the Chet Atkins disc has arrived.

All the Nashville session musicians in their glory, recorded at RCA's "Nashville Sound" studios in Nashville.

Recording is impeccable.
Sound is impeccable
Mix is pretty good.
Music is fab.
And I particularly like the 1967 quad.

Methinks another 10

Keep them coming!

By the last delivery of mail before Christmas the Chet Atkins disc has arrived.

All the Nashville session musicians in their glory, recorded at RCA's "Nashville Sound" studios in Nashville.

Recording is impeccable.
Sound is impeccable
Mix is pretty good.
Music is fab.
And I particularly like the 1967 quad.

Methinks another 10

Keep them coming!

Great news. Superpickers is one of the 4 Channel Quad releases I asked Vocalion to consider awhile back.
Glad to see it arriving.

Time for another Vocalion order here.... :)

Great news. Superpickers is one of the 4 Channel Quad releases I asked Vocalion to consider awhile back.
Glad to see it arriving.

Time for another Vocalion order here.... :)

I really want to buy a few of the new releases...but probably need to wait till the new year. ;) And, Superpickers is one I want. And a couple of the Ray C titles.

I really want to buy a few of the new releases...but probably need to wait till the new year. ;) And, Superpickers is one I want. And a couple of the Ray C titles.

If you go for Ray C, be sure to get the Theme from SWAT two-fer from this batch in Surround SACD.
Excellent sound quality and surround sound production on that one. A "10" in my book. :)

Back