NEW Surround SACDs from Dutton Vocalion (December 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
Henry Mancini - 2 Quads on one SACD disc - The Return Of The Pink Panther in Quad and one of the best Quads I've ever heard; "Symphonic Soul", the mix is gorgeous...!!!! :yikes

PjeZpE3.jpg

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8535

Holy Vocalion overload batgirl. Geez!!!!

I love nearly all of these...what will stop me from buying them? Better yet, what will stop me from asking the wife to get them for Christmas? Nothing, nothing will stop me....:yikes

All of Hugo's quads are out as official reissues !! Just try to wrap your head around that fact...

I'm still trying to 'wade though' the 6 Classical Multichannel SACDs I recently received from D~V and now THIS. Actually 17 individual albums on 8 QUAD SACDs. Decisions, Decisions. Do I really want them ALL? :yikes

Most probably, YES!:music

They do a fantastic job at Dutton Vocalion.

I started out with Michel Legrand's Songs from the 20th Century - what a fantastic album that I had never heard of...
Next up was Swingle Singers - this one i had heard but still the sonics and mix floored me.
Just received Deodato yesterday - looking forward to listen in the weekend.
From this upcoming batch I now have ordered the Pink Panther and Elton - let's hope they deliver the same quality as the others...

Keep them coming!!!

I would first like to thank Quadmeister fredblue for posting the links to the D~V website on each and every one of these upcoming D~V QUAD SACDs...and for his comments on the individual releases. (y)

And yes, I ordered all 7 two~fers and 1 three~fer and the grand total with s/h was [in US currency] $149.44 which translates to $8.79 for each Quad album/1 stereo SACD [we're actually getting 17 albums in all].

Although I'm NOT so sure the Doc Severinsen SACD is an actual three~fer because doubtful D~V could fit three albums on one 'hybrid' SACD, Adam. https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4609

So now that SONY/RCA have cleared out their 'easy listening' Quad vaults TIME FOR SOME GOOD OLE Rock 'n ROLL QUADS!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Well, I think I jump the gun too fast

Only 5 two-fers QUAD SACD for me,

- Ray Conniff - Theme from S.W.A.T. and Other TV Themes & Send in the Clowns

- Ray Conniff & The Singers - Alone Again (Naturally) & Love Theme from The Godfather (Speak Softly Love) I want this one bad!!!!! My father passed away 10 years ago but these two albums bring his memory and his smile very close, back when we listened together these albums many years ago in Cuba (I was a child then). I'll always love you Dad!!!

- Percy Faith - Clair & Joy

- Doc Severinsen - Rhapsody for Now! & Doc

- Floyd Cramer - Floyd Cramer with The Music City Pops & Floyd Cramer in Concert

Anyway, all the new releases are great.

Thank you Dutton-Vocalion!!!!!

Regards,

Last edited:
That's amazing...it looks like this batch is of eight twofers (so 16 albums)? As I've mentioned this sort of material isn't my metier, but I think it's awesome that it's getting released digitally. How much more of this sort of stuff is left in Sony's vaults after this?

Ray Conniff "Send In The Clowns" & "Theme From S.W.A.T. & other TV Themes"

worth it for the mix on SWAT alone which is fab!

OpFrYdr.jpg

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4615

a few things about these two ol' Quads occurred..

firstly the SWAT Theme is so good its included here on this 2-fer not once but twice! :yikes

just as on the original Quad LPs, somewhere along the line, by artist or producer I guess, it was decided it was too good a track not to reprise and add to the latter of the two releases.. and its worth it, the Quad mix is fun...

..and also I recall now how difficult it was to find these two Ray Conniff Quad albums in SQ vinyl form back when I was looking for them.. so scarce in fact I had to resort to tracking down the New Zealand Phonogram SQ pressings of each..

(I posted pics and info about both of these New Zealand SQ variants previously at QQ, they have SBPQ catalogue numbers and must be pretty obscure since neither of these geographical/territorial pressing variations are listed in places like Mark Anderson's Surround Discography..)

and third(ly) how mediocre the quality of the NZ SQ pressings was.. they decoded ok I guess (we'll know soon how accurately compared to the discrete presentation soon enough!) but really not great examples of LP pressings by any stretch of the imagination.

..as sappy and sugar coated as some of this stuff may be to some, I for one am very much looking forward to hearing these Quads in discrete master tape form.. I doubt I'd ever find the Q8s and as I've mentioned the SQ records of these albums were so hard to locate.. so not least for saving me the hassle and heartache of hunting but above all for the music and mix contained within its DSD encoded pits and peaks this is a very welcome release for me, thanks DV! keep it up!

"do you know where you're going to?" one of the songs in this 2-fer set begs the question..

I don't know where we're going to but I like the things Dutton Vocalion is showing us so far! :D

That's amazing...it looks like this batch is of eight twofers (so 16 albums)? As I've mentioned this sort of material isn't my metier, but I think it's awesome that it's getting released digitally. How much more of this sort of stuff is left in Sony's vaults after this?

afaik a fair chunk..

there's at least 5 more Ray Conniff Quads;

Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song,
Love Story,
The Way We Were,
The Happy Sound Of Ray Conniff
and Harmony..

..and 4 more Percy Faith's;
Black Magic Woman,
Day By Day,
Live In Japan,
New Thing...

..and there were Quads (Q8 only iirc) of Best Of's of both Hugo Montenegro and Henry Mancini..

plus I imagine there may well be more Floyd Cramer, Doc Severinsen, Chet Atkins Quads in the vaults but I don't know anything about those artists or their Quad releases, you'd have to ask QQ's resident know it all in chief, the incomparable steelydave :)

I would first like to thank Quadmeister fredblue for posting the links to the D~V website on each and every one of these upcoming D~V QUAD SACDs...and for his comments on the individual releases. (y)

And yes, I ordered all 7 two~fers and 1 three~fer and the grand total with s/h was [in US currency] $149.44 which translates to $8.79 for each Quad album/1 stereo SACD [we're actually getting 17 albums in all].

Although I'm NOT so sure the Doc Severinsen SACD is an actual three~fer because doubtful D~V could fit three albums on one 'hybrid' SACD, Adam. https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4609

So now that SONY/RCA have cleared out their 'easy listening' Quad vaults TIME FOR SOME GOOD OLE Rock 'n ROLL QUADS!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

anytime my dear, you're super audio welcome! :upthumb

you better believe it, Ralphie, here's the track listing info for that very full Doc Severinsen SACD..!

Rhapsody for Now!
The original LP APL1 0273 (1973) STEREO/APT1 0273 QUADRAPHONIC
RHAPSODY FOR NOW!
1. Live and Let Die (P & L McCartney) theme from the film
2. Soul Makossa (Dibango)
3. Yesterday Once More (Carpenter; Bettis)
4. Touch Me in the Morning (Masser; Miller)
5. Shambala (Moore)
6. My Love (P & L McCartney)
7. Pictures (from Pictures at an Exhibition) Promenade (Mussorgsky) – The Great Gate of Kiev (Mussorgsky)

RHAPSODY FOR THEN
8. California Dreamin’ (Phillips)
9. The Look of Love (Bacharach; David)
10. A Song for You (Russell)
11. Sweet Caroline (Diamond)
12. You’ve Got a Friend (King)
13. I Remember Louis (A Tribute to Louis Armstrong)
Introduction
When it’s Sleepy Time Down South (L & O René; Muse)
Struttin’ with Some Barbecue (Armstrong; Raye)
Blueberry Hill (Lewis; Stock; Rose)
Hello, Dolly! (Herman)
Mack the Knife (Weill; Brecht; Blitzstein)
When it’s Sleepy Time Down South (reprise) (L & O René; Muse)

Arrangers/conductors: Oliver Nelson [1-6], Lenny Stack & Doc Severinsen [7], Harry Betts [8-12], Tommy Newsom [13]

Doc
The original LP LSP 4669 (1972) STEREO
14. Liberia (Severinsen; Hyman)
15. Portnoy’s Complaint (Legrand) theme from the film
16. Summer of ’42 (Legrand; A & M Bergman) theme from the film
17. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (MacColl)
18. Living Free (Kaplan; Douglass) from the film
19. Theme from Leonard Bernstein’s Mass (Offertory) (Bernstein)
20. Bonnie (Severinsen; Hyman)
21. Baby I’m-a Want You (Gates)
22. The Godfather Waltz (Rota) from the film The Godfather
23. Lucky Me (Martelli; Mina; Limiti; Brittan)
24. I Only Want to Say (Gethsemane) (Webber; Rice) from the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar

Arranger/conductor: Dick Hyman

Multi-ch Stereo
Tracks 1 - 13 available in stereo and multi-channel

Tracks 14 - 24 available in stereo ONLY

..and I hope that 'clears it up', as the "Doc" said to the patient :p

Back