Looking forward to 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to more new releases at surroundmusic.one
A future force in 5.1 was born in 2017 ......support it through 2018 and beyond and you won,t be disappointed.
https://surroundmusic.one/
For QQ and the 5.1 fans out there.
I foresee some nice releases next year.

In the DSD 256 Recording Studio this week for release in early 2018. The Harmen Fraanje Trio with recording engineer Jared Sacks. Recording a
new Jazz album for the Just Listen label.

It is a Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 recording using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 converter. Coming early next year to the Native DSD Music store.

Harmen Fraanje's Trio - Just Listen 5 - Dec 22 2017.jpg

"In The DSD Studio!

Over the past two days Jared Sacks has been making a recording with Harmen Fraanje's Trio.
This marks the fifth recording Jared has recorded for the Just Listen label which is an initiative of Native DSD Music and producer Jonas Sacks.

Jared made the recording in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 converter at Muziekcentrum van de Omroep in MCO Studio 1, Hilversum, the Netherlands.
Journalist Louis Gauthier from the Dutch national newspaper De Telegraaf came to the studio yesterday to witness this recording session. He seems to be very interested in the #DSD angle and in Jared's recording techniques.

The article will be published in Feb 2018, which is probably around the time we will release the album in Stereo and Multichannel DSD (up to DSD 256) at NativeDSD.
He also took some pictures. Have a look while we wait for the moment that the trio's new DSD 256 recordings are available for a listen at the NativeDSD Music store."

https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/?s=9#genre=34
https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/

I would love some main stream rock titles. There is just SO much Prog type stuff that I'm suffocating sometimes......I need some rock man. Old rock, 80's rock...I don't care. That Bryan Adams release was spectacular...I want more like that. :)

I hear you on wanting more straight-ahead rock stuff. New, newish or classic. Me too.

Now, I would never put my own album on the same pedestal as a mainstream rock act, but one good thing about it (IMO), is that it is only influenced by prog a smidgen, here and there. There are some straight-up rockers for you, like "Break You," "Fight for Your Love," "Bleed (pandemic revision)" and "My Life (live)."

I like plenty of prog, and I'm happy with the releases we've been gifted with the last few years, but my heart lies more with the hard, straight-forward stuff.

We have recently seen releases by Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Stone Temple Pilots and the like. Hopefully we'll get more along those lines.
Surround releases in the rock genre are very random though. We have surround releases from many bands of an album that is far from their best, like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica and the like.

I guess we have to be happy with what we got and what we get. This is such an absurd hobby in many, many ways.

I hear you on wanting more straight-ahead rock stuff. New, newish or classic. Me too.

Now, I would never put my own album on the same pedestal as a mainstream rock act, but one good thing about it (IMO), is that it is only influenced by prog a smidgen, here and there. There are some straight-up rockers for you, like "Break You," "Fight for Your Love," "Bleed (pandemic revision)" and "My Life (live)."

I like plenty of prog, and I'm happy with the releases we've been gifted with the last few years, but my heart lies more with the hard, straight-forward stuff.

We have recently seen releases by Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Stone Temple Pilots and the like. Hopefully we'll get more along those lines.
Surround releases in the rock genre are very random though. We have surround releases from many bands of an album that is far from their best, like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica and the like.

I guess we have to be happy with what we got and what we get. This is such an absurd hobby in many, many ways.

EB, I'm listening to the RBCD version of Disturbing the Universe as I type these words. Will listen to the 5.1 BD~A later. It does Rock. GREAT JOB.

I like Fraanje's Sonatala, released on Challenge in hybrid multichannel in 2004 (and still available--for just 13 euros). That album leans towards the "lite" side, but he's capable of more high-powered stuff, too, and he's written some very good post-bop tunes. Looking forward to this new one!

In the DSD 256 Recording Studio this week for release in early 2018. The Harmen Fraanje Trio with recording engineer Jared Sacks. Recording a
new Jazz album for the Just Listen label.

It is a Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 recording using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 converter. Coming early next year to the Native DSD Music store.

View attachment 31549

https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/?s=9#genre=34
https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/

I like Fraanje's Sonatala, released on Challenge in hybrid multichannel in 2004 (and still available--for just 13 euros). That album leans towards the "lite" side, but he's capable of more high-powered stuff, too, and he's written some very good post-bop tunes. Looking forward to this new one!

Sonatala is a good one. I have it in DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel. Definitely recommended.
https://challengejazz.nativedsd.com/albums/sonatala

Looking forward to the Jazz trio's new DSD 256 Stereo & Multichannel release in 2018 from Just Listen.

Also worth mentioning: Just Listen has done some DSD Multichannel recording with another Jazz ensemble - the Rembrandt Frerichs Trio with Tony Overwater.
It should be another Multichannel Jazz album to watch for in 2018.

Rembrandt Frerichs Trio - Aug 2017.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdM...1828.497854580272955/1489224191135984/?type=3

From the original Birdsong thread last June, some input from the band:

"Yes - we are currently at work on the next album. Basics and orchestra already tracked. Overdubs and mixing through the fall. The plan is to have video content for every song, so putting all of that together will likely result in a late summer 2018 release. We may put out a track or two early on...

Certainly planning on a 5.1 mix. Curious to see what the market is for Blu-ray format. Would love to hear suggestions for alternative distribution strategies, though I seem to gravitate back to more standard disc-based format.

Thanks again for the interest and support!

Alan "​

:)

I would love some main stream rock titles. There is just SO much Prog type stuff that I'm suffocating sometimes......I need some rock man. Old rock, 80's rock...I don't care. That Bryan Adams release was spectacular...I want more like that. :)

Flock of Seagulls? Eurythmics? The Bangles? Robert Palmer? Van Hagar? How bout some Scritti Politti?

Those kinds of decisions are almost always down to the record label and artist, but thankfully, most all of Steven Wilson's remixes are available in very affordable packages ("A Farewell to Kings" being the only current exception)

The main issue I see going forward is that the major labels appear to have abandoned the pure audio single Blu-ray Disc releases... :(

The problem with pure audio blu ray releases where I live is nearly all the ones we got were stereo...I had to import Songs from the big chair 5.1 blu ray from the USA.

The 3 discs I would most want to hear in 2018 are pretty much hopeless I think: Going For The One Yes, Animals Pink Floyd, and the unreleased surround mix of Graceland Paul Simon. In fact, if they just released most of the surround mixes that have been made but ended up sitting on a shelf somewhere, it would be a great year.

The 3 discs I would most want to hear in 2018 are pretty much hopeless I think: Going For The One Yes, Animals Pink Floyd, and the unreleased surround mix of Graceland Paul Simon.

Those certainly are great ones many would love to hear- unfortunately as you say the odds are definitely against us.

Paul Simon's anti-surround stance is no secret- apparently when Graceland was originally set to come out he purposely made tried to make the mix more front-centric (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...39-Graceland-Article-in-Surround-Professional). The final nail in it's coffin was the omission of 5.1 from the box set issued a few years back.

Simon's quads are fabulous but a reissue of those doesn't seem to be in the cards either- Audio Fidelity reportedly asked to release them back when they were doing quad reissues and were denied.

I assume there is some sort of multitrack issue with Going For The One- otherwise I can't see why it would've been given the SW treatment like the others. Personally I was hoping for 90125. There are decent upmixes of both if you'd like to hear them. I think the sources are HDtracks downloads so they are Hi-Rez.

Animals- I'd imagine there probably is a quad mix lurking in some vault. A 5.1 remix probably won't happen after the Early Years box fiasco. And if it somehow did, Guthrie would probably be at the knobs, which definitely wouldn't please everyone.

In fact, if they just released most of the surround mixes that have been made but ended up sitting on a shelf somewhere, it would be a great year.

AMEN to that. All of ES's 5.1s and all of the Columbia quads should be released!!

Another one to look forward to in 2018 - a new album from Nosound

It's been a while since he's been on the forum but I just looked at his webpage and found this posted...no specific mention of 5.1 but it's probably a pretty safe bet.

After two years from last studio album Scintilla, the new studio album is now going through the final recording stages and will be released in a few months time in 2018!

A lot of things changed from Scintilla, we considered it the end of cycle and the start of something new, and this change is completely materialised in the tracks we worked on for the new album.

Marking a stronger departure from the previous rock and guitar driven material, and a new vocal and songwriting approach, this is going to be Nosound most experimental album to date.

5.1 is a pretty safe bet (close to a certainty)...................but I wouldn't bet on it being available on physical media, time will tell.

Another one to look forward to in 2018 - a new album from Nosound

It's been a while since he's been on the forum but I just looked at his webpage and found this posted...no specific mention of 5.1 but it's probably a pretty safe bet.

5.1 is a pretty safe bet (close to a certainty)...................but I wouldn't bet on it being available on physical media, time will tell.

Any inside knowledge for that? At least that can be shared? If costs/sales are a factor, then do a pledge music for just a 5.1 blu-ray set (or a cd/br bundle set) - I'd bet he/they would get enough payers up front to get it done.

Back