Looking forward to 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
We may have a lot to look forward in 2018!
For one thing, QuadraphonicQuad will still be in existence, and I for one could not be happier about that!
Plus we definitely have "Fleetwood Mac" to look forward to in January!

Now for speculation about more possible releases in 2018, starting with artists that recently come to mind:

1) RUSH - Before October 2017, I thought our chances of more RUSH 5.1 mixes was completely dead. Then, all of a sudden, we get news that "A Farewell to Kings" is being reissued, and instead of utilizing the original 5.1 mix from 2011, the band and record label hired Steven Wilson to remix the album again! So what's next? 2018 will mark the 40th anniversary of "Hemispheres", so will we get a "Hemispheres" 40th anniversary box set with a Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix? Who knows, but our chances are alive once again!

2) The Alan Parsons Project - Alan Parsons has expressed an interest in continuing to remix the Project's albums in 5.1 surround, so hopefully it's not a matter of if the 5.1 releases will continue, but what they will continue with. Next year is the 40th anniversary of "Pyramid", so if any Project album is likely to be reissued next year as a box set with 5.1 surround, it's that one. The next obvious choice would be "I Robot", an album that celebrated its 40th anniversary this year. Whatever the release is next year, I just hope that there is one!

3) King Crimson - I think 2018 will be the year that we finally see the conclusion of the King Crimson 40th anniversary series with the release of both "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe" in 5.1 surround. Markus Reuter (stick player with Stick Men) already appears to be doing some remixing work on "The Construkction of Light" as evidenced by these videos found here: https://www.facebook.com/unsungproductions/
Time will tell how this projekct shapes out, but I'm sure we'll get the big box set along with smaller CD/DVD releases.

4) Esoteric Reissues - Esoteric have already confirmed that they plan to release the Chris Squire album "Fish Out Of Water" in 5.1 surround in the Spring of 2018, remixed by Jakko Jakszyk. They also plan to continue the Barclay James Harvest reissues now that they have acquired the rights to reissue BJH's first four albums, originally released on the Harvest label. I predict that 5.1 surround will still continue to be a part of these Barclay James Harvest releases as long as the tapes still exist. [ADDENDUM: "Fish Out Of Water" now set for April 2018 release]

5) Gentle Giant - Steven Wilson & the Shulman Brothers (Derek & Ray) have both expressed an interest in continuing the Gentle Giant remix series. According to a recent interview with one of the brothers, "Free Hand" appears to be the most likely candidate to be remixed and reissued this coming year, so I hope it comes to fruition!

6) Marillion - Both Steven Wilson & Marillion have indicated that the next Marillion deluxe edition to be released should be the 1994 album "Brave", so hopefully that release will come out some time next year! [ADDENDUM: Now set for March 2018 release]

7) The Beatles - There have been indications that the Beatles will mark the 50th anniversary of "The Beatles (White Album)" with a 50th anniversary reissue that will be remixed in stereo & 5.1 surround by Giles Martin, so we'll see if they can make it happen!

8) Jethro Tull - Plans are already underway to continue the 40th anniversary (hardback book) series with a Steven Wilson remixed release of "Heavy Horses" in the Spring of 2018. After that, who knows? The next release could be 1979's "Stormwatch", or we could get a 50th anniversary reissue of "This Was". All we know is that besides "Heavy Horses", Ian Anderson and the record label are definitely looking to properly celebrate Jethro Tull's 50th anniversary next year! [ADDENDUM: "Heavy Horses" now set for March 2018 release]

9) XTC - After a stunning release of "Black Sea" this year, Steven Wilson & Andy Partridge still want to continue the XTC Surround Sound Series in 2018 and beyond, but which album will be remixed next remains to be seen. Last update says that all of the tapes still cannot be found for both "English Settlement" and "Mummer", so my best guess for next year's release will be "The Big Express", but if they cannot find all of the tapes for that record, then maybe they will remix "Apple Venus" instead.

10) Roxy Music - At this point in time, all indications are pointing towards release of the 4-disc CD/DVD box set of "Roxy Music" around February 2018 with an official announcement of the release to come as early as this coming week, so fingers crossed we finally get this long-awaited release in 2018! [ADDENDUM: Now set for February 2018 release]

11) Tears for Fears - We're still waiting on Steven Wilson's remix of "The Seeds of Love", but Steven's latest update indicates it could be released in the Fall of 2018 after the band releases their new album over the summer, so like Roxy Music, let's hope 2018 is finally the year that we get to hear "The Seeds of Love" in 5.1 surround!

Finally, how good does the future look for more reissues of classic Quadraphonic mixes from the 1970s? Pretty good, I would say. Dutton Vocalion certainly show no signs of slowing down, and Warner/Rhino showed this year they are still interested in reissuing Quadraphonic mixes from their catalogue with the release of "The Best of The Doors" on Blu-Ray Audio. I hope 2018 will bring us a Doobie Brothers Quadio box set, but there are other titles that Warner/Rhino could exploit, like Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies".

Are we likely to get all these releases next year? Probably not, cause we never do, but there's guaranteed to be some surprises along the way, so let's hang on tight and get ready for another great year of fun on QuadraphonicQuad!

:)

Hoping to get ahead of the rush, probably missed it so: Merry Christmas, what a wonderful place to be.

"The Cars" lost 5.1 mix being dusted off as RT speculated in another thread would really make my year...

I'm betting that DV will end up offering the biggest surprises of the year...the Columbia quads are for the most part the the best surround mixes ever done IMO, so I can't wait to hear more of them freed from captivity.

2018 will definitely be the year I finally start digging into the KC and GG remix series. KC is not on Spotify so I'm really going in blind...should be a wild ride. From what I've read they have several periods of varying lineup and/or style, so pretty confident I'll end up liking something there.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt the amazing musical taste of the QQ community. My eyes (and ears) have been seriously opened...

ITCOTCK is already on its way...

"The Cars" lost 5.1 mix being dusted off as RT speculated in another thread would really make my year...

2018 will definitely be the year I finally start digging into the KC and GG remix series. KC is not on Spotify so I'm really going in blind...should be a wild ride. From what I've read they have several periods of varying lineup and/or style, so pretty confident I'll end up liking something there.

ITCOTCK is already on its way...

I would LOVE to hear The Cars. As for KC, their debut is my favorite, but you have to go all the way to the Adrian Belew years (LOVE him) to find my second favorite, Three of a Perfect Pair (has it had a surround mix?). Discipline is one of his and it is stellar!

You do a great job of projecting these titles Ryan:)...IMO the White Album will be done in surround(as part of a box set) and I look for another quality release by Rhino...but I have a strong feeling that we will be offered a "complete surprise" title that no one saw coming...and it will be outside the progressive music genre...I'm thinking a rock title will emerge...2018 should be an interesting year:banana:

I have a strong feeling that we will be offered a "complete surprise" title that no one saw coming...and it will be outside the progressive music genre...I'm thinking a rock title will emerge

YES

Two words: Aerosmith- Rocks.

Please Sony Japan end my suffering...

You do a great job of projecting these titles Ryan:)...IMO the White Album will be done in surround(as part of a box set) and I look for another quality release by Rhino...but I have a strong feeling that we will be offered a "complete surprise" title that no one saw coming...and it will be outside the progressive music genre...I'm thinking a rock title will emerge...2018 should be an interesting year:banana:

Yep, there are always surprises each and every year.
The biggest surprises for me this year were "Misplaced Childhood" from Marillion, "Kick" from INXS, and (of course) "Sgt Pepper..." from the Beatles, not to mention getting new surround mixes of both "Automatic for the People" and "A Farewell to Kings" was a surprise as well.

I like surprises! :)

Another Bruce Soord solo album, with a disc with mixes of both albums!

Yes, the Roxy Music seems to be a reality now....bring it on!

From the "didn't make it this year" dept - "Memories of Machines."

Steven Wilson - a new mini-album (5 1/2) that surely will have a 5.1 mix. And what about this release this week on streaming services, the video game music for "Last Day of June." So far just streaming, but a physical release with 5.1 would be very welcome.

I've read the rumors and tid-bits about most of these titles you listed rt, but it definitely makes it more exciting seeing how you've grouped them together and gave a nice summary for each title. Nice! :upthumb

I should also mention that Alan Parsons said in a live Q&A on Facebook today that he is working on an album of new material to be released sometime in the Summer of 2018, so one would hope that he would mix and release his new record in surround sound as well.

Since Tears for Fears seems to be on board the 5.1 train now any chance their new album being released this year could be released in surround. Are there any rumors.

Since Tears for Fears seems to be on board the 5.1 train now any chance their new album being released this year could be released in surround. Are there any rumors.

oh. man...don't get me started!!!!
Elemental (goodnight song!)
RATKOS (God's mistake!)
ELAHE (call me mellow?)

ESPECIALLY Roland's solo album...Tomcats screaming outside!!!

On the wishful thinking front......earlier this year Andy Summers said that the Police catalog would be getting an overhaul in 2018. "I think it's gonna be a huge repackaging and selling of everything next year," he was quoted as saying in Billboard. Obviously too early and not enough information to start counting unhatched chickens, but on the plus side their catalog is owned by Universal who have been open to 5.1 mixes. Fingers are crossed!

More from DV. Keep up the great work. Woo Hoo.

...I have a strong feeling that we will be offered a "complete surprise" title that no one saw coming...and it will be outside the progressive music genre...I'm thinking a rock title will emerge...2018 should be an interesting year:banana:
My Quadraphonic crystal ball is also showing we are due this coming year for a rock title. Something that some of us consider an A-List type of thing. My crystal vision is a little foggy, but I see an announcement coming just after the first week of the year. Can't wait to hear what it is.

3) King Crimson - I think 2018 will be the year that we finally see the conclusion of the King Crimson 40th anniversary series with the release of both "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe" in 5.1 surround. Markus Reuter (stick player with Stick Men) already appears to be doing some remixing work on "The Construkction of Light" as evidenced by these videos found here: https://www.facebook.com/unsungproductions/
Time will tell how this projekct shapes out, but I'm sure we'll get the big box set along with smaller CD/DVD releases.

I have little doubt we'll be seeing that in 2018, but I think 2019 will be the conclusion of these sets with a souped-up 50th anniversary of In The Court Of The Crimson King. David Singleton has let some info slip that there is work already being done on this as there are new outtakes (and maybe even more multi-tracks) that have been discovered. Since both it didn't come out on Blu-ray originally, and it'll be right on time for the band's 50th anniversary altogether, it would be the most appropriate set to conclude this amazing series with.

I have little doubt we'll be seeing that in 2018, but I think 2019 will be the conclusion of these sets with a souped-up 50th anniversary of In The Court Of The Crimson King. David Singleton has let some info slip that there is work already being done on this as there are new outtakes (and maybe even more multi-tracks) that have been discovered. Since both it didn't come out on Blu-ray originally, and it'll be right on time for the band's 50th anniversary altogether, it would be the most appropriate set to conclude this amazing series with.

Yes, but it won’t mark the end of the 40th anniversary series, but rather the beginning of the 50th anniversary series! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back