Quad and Smartphones

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have never owned Quad headphones and I don't recall listening to any during the Quad era.

First, did Quad headphones actually work and provide a surround soundfield?

Second, with more and more music being sourced from Smartphone downloads, is there an opportunity to get more people to download Quad (or 5.1) music and listen with Quad headphones connected to Smartphones?

Kirk Bayne

Hey kirk,
I did have a chance to listen to a set of quad cans back in the day, i didn't own any but i hung out alot at my local Lafayette electronics store oogling equipment. I don't remember what the make was that they were selling at the time but my recollection was that they did produce a quad experience however it required some concentration to discern the separation. The main problem that i had as i remember was with the sonic reproduction. At the time my goto cans were the koss pro 4aa. And they left the quad headphones in the dust as to sonics. Problem with something like that now is the 2 separate phone plugs required for true discrete playback. Even then as i remember those dual phone outs were rare. I would love if someone could come up with something to playback 4 channels discretely through headphones. But all my research on the simulated surround phones has left me underwhelmed. Kevin

Hey kirk,
I did have a chance to listen to a set of quad cans back in the day, i didn't own any but i hung out alot at my local Lafayette electronics store oogling equipment. I don't remember what the make was that they were selling at the time but my recollection was that they did produce a quad experience however it required some concentration to discern the separation. The main problem that i had as i remember was with the sonic reproduction. At the time my goto cans were the koss pro 4aa. And they left the quad headphones in the dust as to sonics. Problem with something like that now is the 2 separate phone plugs required for true discrete playback. Even then as i remember those dual phone outs were rare. I would love if someone could come up with something to playback 4 channels discretely through headphones. But all my research on the simulated surround phones has left me underwhelmed. Kevin

Try just placing a pair of buds (to serve as the rear channels) inside the upper corners of classic phones. (Headphone's cushions will wedge buds in place.)

InstaQuads. ;)

Fun!

Back