Playing back Quad Decoded discs on Computer, What Ive discovered

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ade42

Hi Friends,

After my first failed script attempts a a decade and a half ago (from memory) to last year when I got interested again and 'cracked it', What I found was sure I could decode using the right scripts (and the ones I use are NOT the current faves) but could only render them as 48khz by 24 bit and then ONLY as WMA files, My 5.1 Blueray player could only play this format. so lots of compression, which I hate (Used to be a audio engineer a lifetime ago), I had no luck in making 96/24 discs, the only company with the software that can do it took my cash and never gave me the serial number, So spent a month off work last year decoding about 50 discs using my own built preamp with a more flatter top end for declicking purposes and produced many WMA files that sounded great, yet still compressed as all F**k, as I work a "call center' job buying so another blue-ray player when the last one failed was not an option, so what to do. Well I was given a SONY EP9ES, does DPL 1, i thought this might be a holdover, but the decoding of quad discs was terrible, SO I thought what If i plugged my computer into it via Optical audio that my Motherboard has, Sadly was only 2 channel when playing back the files I made, but playing other peoples DVD-R quad rips worked, Ok why is that, and this led me down a very long path of trying to unlock the Dolby on my Internal Soundcard, But I found a forum or two and downloaded "Modified" sound card drivers, Now I can play raw wav files that are 96/24bit made with AA3 and get ALL 4 channels out with no compression at all, VLC is the only player Ive found that works with WAC or quad FLAC, I have a Asus Mobo with realtek sound card, I use this to play the uncompressed quad to the Sony unit, then feed that into two amps to get 4.0. Oh I don t use the internal Soundcard to record the discs, Use a M-Audio Card so its proper 96/24.
Oh and the quality going from 48/24 WMA to 96/24 WAV is quite a shock. I might be mad but I swear the separation is better now

The Process

1) Record LP at 96/24 using my own Preamp (which I built to play 78's and transcription discs) have a FLAT top end and a RIIA bottom end
2) decode using Scripts but not the new ones (to much artifacting and a huge loss in top end)
3) Clean the rear and fronts with very very minimal restoration (Ive been restoring ordinary discs for decades and wrote my own software to deal with 78's) Plus take the top end down a notch
4) Use AA to make multichannel WAV
5) have my crappy internal sound-card Unlocked (with Mods) so it will pass a 4.0 signal to my sony thing, that was the trick, getting the optical out to process anything but 2ch, apparently a Windows update killed anything but 2ch years ago, and also motherboard manufactures also implemented this restriction
6) decode all my quads again, AHHHHHHH it'll take years I tell Ya!!!

So re-doing the Enoch Lights first, as no Bugger has decoded any anywhere. Plus I like the silly ping pong effects

Edit, just realized I can use a script to decode an entire LP, then clean the front and rear Then export the entire album in AA3 as wav then break the tracks up in SF, will take many hours from the process

Last edited:
Back