VLC doesn't do gapless playback!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I always thought it was because of my settings, but I just found out that VLC (which I use for MCH FLAC playback!!! in my Mac) doesn't do GAPLESS playback...and, to be picky, it annoys the SH*T outta me!!!

Am I gonna have to switch to Windoze XPee if Foobar does gapless playback?

I always thought it was because of my settings, but I just found out that VLC (which I use for MCH FLAC playback!!! in my Mac) doesn't do GAPLESS playback...and, to be picky, it annoys the SH*T outta me!!!

Try Songbird.

VLC also doesn't handle other than 5.1 correctly (4.0, etc get incorrect speaker assignments and/or un-asked for mono sums to center and the like). I never tried it on shuffle so I didn't notice the lack of gapless too. It's gapless when playing an album consecutively.

Anyway, try Songbird. It's free. The GUI is simple and convenient like a non-broken version of iTunes. Foobar does work but has all the Windows-like clumsiness you might expect. (It will run natively in OSX with Wine installed though.) What sells Songbird for me is I can leave the system set to 5.1 (with the OS utility 'Audio MIDI Setup') and mix and match 5.1, 4.0, 2.0, 4.1, etc, etc in a playlist and everything comes out the correct speakers with no exceptions. Put your surround collection on shuffle play and gapless segues stay gapless. Stay right on beat segueing from Moody Blues to Zappa and amuse yourself all day! :D

I use Foobar 2000 for stereo playback, and there are no gaps. Download is free. I am not sure if it does surround, as I use the Oppo for that.

I use Foobar 2000 for stereo playback, and there are no gaps. Download is free. I am not sure if it does surround, as I use the Oppo for that.

It's gapless for surround files as well. I just heard "In the Beginning" flow perfectly into "Lovely To See You"...one of my favorite transitions ever.

I use VOX on Mac...I miss all the crazy meters and charts from Foobar but it's definitely better than VLC.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 2.24.38 PM.jpg

I understand the annoyance. One reason I bought my new 2017 Chevy Traverse was because I could still get a CD player in it. Unfortunately it doesn't do gapless either and its playing from a commercial CD! Very annoying.

KODI can be run from IOS. It is also free, plays gapless, and does 5.1 and 4.0 correctly. And Homer (Gary) on QQ is a master at using it. There's even some tutorials in the tech section.

Foobar does surround, I us it all the time. As I recall JRiver had the same problem, it didn't play gapless.

I understand the annoyance. One reason I bought my new 2017 Chevy Traverse was because I could still get a CD player in it. Unfortunately it doesn't do gapless either and its playing from a commercial CD! Very annoying.

To be fair, gapless is a really new leading-edge concept that only goes back to the LP record in 1948.

I guess the brilliant minds at GM decided that since none of the USB/SD Card/whatever stuff seems to do gapless properly either, they'd deliberately screw up a CD player.

OK, again, thanks for the tips..but I'm running an old Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard!

The tips I posted above will all work with 10.6.8.

I still use a couple 10.6.8 systems myself. I also have 10.10 and 10.13 systems at present but I still kind of consider 10.6.8 the master. I hear claims of 10.13 being 10.6-like stable. We'll see...

I need to try Kodi (the new XBMC). I'm told it decodes dts 2496 and dts MA correctly now. Hope they changed that awful GUI!

The tips I posted above will all work with 10.6.8.

I still use a couple 10.6.8 systems myself. I also have 10.10 and 10.13 systems at present but I still kind of consider 10.6.8 the master. I hear claims of 10.13 being 10.6-like stable. We'll see...

I need to try Kodi (the new XBMC). I'm told it decodes dts 2496 and dts MA correctly now. Hope they changed that awful GUI!

Yes , they do!, again, it's MY FAULT (some day I'll learn how to express myself correctly!)...and thank you so much!!!

BUT,
MCH FLACs is what I'm looking for- the ones you told me were only for stereo..unless I missed part of their description!!!!

Try Songbird.

Songbird worked for me.

Another option: Nightingale is a descendant of Songbird that I use, and it also does gapless playback of MCH FLAC files. I was using Songbird, but I was having some weird disappearing library problems that went away with Nightingale.

The latest build will work on Mac OSX 10.6.X:

Nightingale 1.12.1 (build 2454) is supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.7 and GNU/Linux.

https://getnightingale.com

Songbird worked for me.

Another option: Nightingale is a descendant of Songbird that I use, and it also does gapless playback of MCH FLAC files. I was using Songbird, but I was having some weird disappearing library problems that went away with Nightingale.

The latest build will work on Mac OSX 10.6.X:

Nightingale 1.12.1 (build 2454) is supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.7 and GNU/Linux.

https://getnightingale.com

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Awesome!!!!

Nightingale works PERFECTLY!!!!

:smokin

I'm thrilled!

I greatly enjoyed a Quad decode you did of Wish You Were Here that I found before we ever crossed paths on this forum, so I am happy to help you out.

Thanks again..sorry..been quite busy with personal stuff..yeah, that WYWH conversion came out sweet! Glad you enjoyed it (I still play it every once in a while!)

That is precisely why I LOVE this Forum!

Back