'The Simpsons' Return to DVD with Season 18 but Blu-ray Releases No Longer Planned

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be that everyone is tired of sony and the high costs? My guess is yes.

Or could it be that they want to hold back the higher quality for some future release, thereby selling the same product twice? Naaaah. That's a cynical thought.

Or could it be that they want to hold back the higher quality for some future release, thereby selling the same product twice? Naaaah. That's a cynical thought.

I'm with you... first, they eventually complete the DVD releases of every season. Then, once the series is complete and off the air a few years, a Super Deluxe Box Set of every season on Blu-ray complete with a Gold-Plated Donut Ring and a Bronzed Resin Bust of Homer (I need more rings!)

No, it's because people aren't buying. TV on DVD was a cash cow that took the industry by surprise (and they then rushed to embrace), but with streaming that cash cow has gone on. DVD patents have expired, so they're cheaper to produce, and a lot of the market for TV on DVD is older folks who still haven't jumped to blu-ray. Physical media sales in general are falling, but people in the know have told me that the TV show market on DVD has been hit especially hard.

Paramount spent serious $$$ on Star Trek on blu-ray and lost money on it. For a lot of the industry, that was a sign that even with the renewed value for streaming/broadcast of having HD transfers, it just isn't worth it.

Back