Which discs have DTS-ES 6.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys!

Some of you might know that I extract all my discs to my computer and listen from there. In the past, I have never been able to get 6.1 mixes to play properly - I thought the apps I was using were just unable to recognize 6.1 and would just extract or play 5.1. Imagine my surprise when one of the files I had on my computer which I thought was only 5.1 actually had 7 channels in it!

It was the extended version of "Born Too Slow" from the Legion of Boom DVD-A, which I had extracted from the DTS track back in 2016. I discovered the extra channel when SMPlayer played it back weird, and I opened the file in Xrecode to see what was going on. When I saw there were 7 channels in it, I opened it in Audacity, duplicated the single rear channel, turning this into a 7.1 file (but with the same contents in both rear channels), then saved that as FLAC.

That means than I can now listen to the 6.1 mix on my Linux machine!

Which got me to thinking... Which other discs do you know that have 6.1 DTS-ES, from the top of your head? I seem to recall that the first track of Joe Cocker's "Night Calls" DTS CD has 6.1, but I'm not sure how to extract that. Will tinker around with it. If you can think of others, let me know! I'm sure I have a few more in my collection, but I don't have time to look at all the sleeves to find out which they are ;-)

Nice, thanks! I have since discovered Everclear and NERD as well.

And I was wrong abut Joe Cocker... I was thinking of the wrong disc. It's Don Henley that has the single 6.1 track. End of the Innocence. Just extracted it and it works :)

Right, forgot about Insane Clown Posse, also N*E*R*D - In Search Of...

From my own collection, I've now ripped End of the Innocence (just the song), N.E.R.D., Everclear and Crystal Method and converted them to 7.1 FLACs (with the single rear channel duplicated).

I found it interesting that Everclear and The Crystal Method had that extra channel at wildly varying volumes, but mostly really low. I went ahead and manually amplified them all so they'd be on par with the other channels.

So far, I like the 6.1 surround experience in Everclear the most! You can really tell the extra channel is there and it adds to the experience mostly in the quieter parts though (breakdowns, beginnings/endings of songs). Crystal Method is good too, but not as good as I was expecting, knowing how crazy discrete the 5.1 mix is to begin with. Haven't listened to the N.E.R.D. 6.1, yet, but will soon.

For The End of the Innocence, I honestly can't really tell much difference to 5.1. It seems to me extra channel contains little to no discrete stuff to make it a noteworthy expansion.

Seems like I don't have any other 6.1 discs in my collection, but your responses above are really helpful for me to know which ones to look out for. I do own The Globe Sessions, but it's the SACD. (love that disc).

Agree on the Globe Sessions. Great album. I too own just the SACD, though... :)

Back