Sony SQ Encoder - SQE-2000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would you use this for nowadays? To down mix a 4 channel quad record onto a cd for more convenient playback?

What was its original use?

What would you use this for nowadays? To down mix a 4 channel quad record onto a cd for more convenient playback?

There is/was a member here that converted discrete modern sources to QS for Internet-radio shows on Sundays.

I use mine to transfer my CD-4 LPs to SQ (in CD format)

I have only one CD-4 setup at home (using a JVC JA-X9) but I have 4 SQ/QS systems. (2x SQD-2010 and one of each SQD-2000 and SQD-2020)

I also use it for recording purposes for a street band I look after...

Last edited:

It was originally intended for FM broadcasters to convert discrete four channel programs to SQ to be broadcast over stereo radio in a compatible (Stereo/Quad) form.

I made my own back in the day from two SQ decoder modules to convert my Q4 tapes to cassette. The resultant (SQ encoded) cassettes were best played on the original machine as head alignment differences from one machine to another could cause phase errors and poorer playback results.

The Autumn 1983 issue of MCS Review Vol.5 No.2 reported that these units were being sold out by CBS Technology Center for $400 each. IMHO the high selling price is due to the mainly units scarcity, there would be more actual circuitry in a full logic decoder. At least almost $1000 is better than the $1200 that was asked for before. There were or are a number of Sansui QS encoders for sale as well for equally crazy prices. I suppose that the SQE-2000 would be a nice match for the SQD-2010/2020 decoders.

Today I would run scripts in Audion if I wanted to encode anything. Also Involve has an encoder module for sale to QuadrphonicQuad members as well that would likely encode Involve/QS better and cheaper than the vintage units could.

It was originally intended for FM broadcasters to convert discrete four channel programs to SQ to be broadcast over stereo radio in a compatible (Stereo/Quad) form.

I made my own back in the day from two SQ decoder modules to convert my Q4 tapes to cassette. The resultant (SQ encoded) cassettes were best played on the original machine as head alignment differences from one machine to another could cause phase errors and poorer playback results.

The Autumn 1983 issue of MCS Review Vol.5 No.2 reported that these units were being sold out by CBS Technology Center for $400 each. IMHO the high selling price is due to the mainly units scarcity, there would be more actual circuitry in a full logic decoder. At least almost $1000 is better than the $1200 that was asked for before. There were or are a number of Sansui QS encoders for sale as well for equally crazy prices. I suppose that the SQE-2000 would be a nice match for the SQD-2010/2020 decoders.

Today I would run scripts in Audion if I wanted to encode anything. Also Involve has an encoder module for sale to QuadrphonicQuad members as well that would likely encode Involve/QS better and cheaper than the vintage units could.

Great info. I can't claim to understand it all. But the last sentence put the hammer down. If I ever wanted to encode, there is the better, more reliable, modern Involve unit. I have a SQD-2020 but will just use it for the cool VU meters and wooden case.

Back