Christmas & Holiday Music in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple years back.maybe 3 ?....Melissa Etheridge released a cd/dvd DD 5.1 of Xmas tunes her style.

Also.....Silverline Classics had a small #of Xmas themed discs in DVDA . And As mentioned Lynyrd Skynyrd and Van Dant on their pop/rock line.

A couple years back.maybe 3 ?....Melissa Etheridge released a cd/dvd DD 5.1 of Xmas tunes her style.

Also.....Silverline Classics had a small #of Xmas themed discs in DVDA . And As mentioned Lynyrd Skynyrd and Van Dant on their pop/rock line.

I found a release by Melissa Etheridge called "A New Thought For Christmas"; it's a CD/live DVD package from 2009. Is this what you're referring to? If so, what did you think of the surround?

My go to's every year are the Guaraldi-Charlie Brown , Mannheim's Celebration, and Beniot's Charlie Brown.(and JT and JT).

But also as mentioned Tull has 2 or 3 Xmas themed re: Montreaux .

James Taylor-October Road SACD has "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" last tune, fwiw.

And i used to have 4 or 5 Nimbus surround (UHJ) discs all worthy contenders for that warm Xmas with "Nog" type of feel.:chill

Is "Beniot's Charlie Brown" the "Very Special Charlie Brown Holiday" disc from various artists, or something else? Is it surround? (sorry for all the questions, but I want every Christmas track in surround that I can find, lol!:mad:@:

Is "Beniot's Charlie Brown" the "Very Special Charlie Brown Holiday" disc from various artists, or something else? Is it surround? (sorry for all the questions, but I want every Christmas track in surround that I can find, lol!:mad:@:

It's Charlie Brown's Christmas from a group of jazz artistes from Monster Music , released same time as as the Vince Guaraldi original, and yes it's in Surround. DVD/CD dts dd 5.1.

I found a release by Melissa Etheridge called "A New Thought For Christmas"; it's a CD/live DVD package from 2009. Is this what you're referring to? If so, what did you think of the surround?

Other than what I noted, that's all I know about that title. Went back about a month or two to get it and it was gone.

I highly recommend all the previously mentioned JT and JT fwiw.

Just wanted to mention that "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from James Taylor's "October Road" SACD sounds at first like an ambient surround mix, but if you amplify the surround channels by about 10-12dB, you get a really nice surround presentation, with a discrete jazz guitar LR, a discrete harp (or is it a second keyboard?) RR, and some nice strings across the rear channels. (y)

Just wanted to mention that "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from James Taylor's "October Road" SACD sounds at first like an ambient surround mix, but if you amplify the surround channels by about 10-12dB, you get a really nice surround presentation, with a discrete jazz guitar LR, a discrete harp (or is it a second keyboard?) RR, and some nice strings across the rear channels. (y)

You should do this with the entire SACD. I don't know why but they really F'd that one up. The rears are in fact at least -10db. Unless you do this, the disc sounds horrible surround-wise.

JT Montreux, yes and also the Around The World disc. Both have a version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen ".

and here's a pic of the Beniot disc.

20171217_155123.jpg

You should do this with the entire SACD. I don't know why but they really F'd that one up. The rears are in fact at least -10db. Unless you do this, the disc sounds horrible surround-wise.

Yeah, I agree Jon.

Someone dropped the ball on that disc . Good thing I always keep my rears a couple of deebs louder.

Johnny Mathis - The Christmas Album SACD has superb fidelity, a discrete surround mix, excellent arrangements, and the vocals sound perfect. Thank you to those who recommended this and to those who helped me hear it!

Donald Fagen -Kamakiriad

The song "Snowbound " is not exactly Xmas....but it is seasonal . The DVDA contains a 2ch video of this tune.

listened to it last nite, fwiw. :smokin

I'm not a big Xmas person, but there's a ton of great seasonal music out there on quad/surround SACD. the one that came immediately to mind is this collection of carols, recorded in quad in the 1970s:

View attachment 31473

Received this one yesterday and it's really excellent. Room filling ambient mix of very peaceful music. The music is mainly choir vocals with organ accompaniment... very peaceful. But it's the vocal performances and harmonies which are the stars here. Highly recommended! Thanks, ubertrout :)

A bit late...I know..but :

here's another one in my collection.

Tom Waits -78 Austin City concert...."Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" and " Silent Night".

20180103_203433.jpg20180103_203444.jpg

not the best surround and well it is Christmas.

"Admiral Presents Christmas in Four Channel Surround (Q8/QR) - This is a fantastic collection of classic, vintage Christmas music from various artists (The Philadelphia Orchestra, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Robert Goulet, etc)... the fidelity sounds great for it's time and the surround mix is very discrete. I've only heard the Q8, but I imagine the QR sounds even better."

Thanks for alerting me to the one I'd never seen before. Someone had a sealed copy on SQ LP on ebay last month and I picked it up.
By the way, there is No QR copy. Columbia made NO QR open reel tapes.

Didn't think about it before, but the Argent album 'In Deep' features the song "Christmas for the Free." SQ Quad LP, discrete quad 8-track.

Missed that one, thanks.

So anyways...........Rock In Surround ;

Jethro Tull -Magic Bells fr Songs from the Wood DTS DVD
Jethro Tull -Ring Out, Solstice Bells (same ^)
Jethro Tull -God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Around The World )(Montreaux)DTSDVD'S
Jethro Tull - We Five Kings ( Around The World )DTS DVD.
Jethro Tull - Bouree , Noel version (Around The World )
Jethro Tull - A Christmas Song ( This Was DTS DVD)
The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York (Live Olympia Paris DD DVD)
John Lennon - Happy Xmas ( Lennon Legend DTS DVD)
Paul McCartney -Wonderful Christmastime ( McCartney Years DTS DVD)
James Taylor - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (October Road SACD)
Donald Fagen -Snowbound (Kamakiriad DVDA, DTS DVD)

And, I can't be certain but U2 do a song ..... Christmas (Baby Please Come Home ) on one of their live DVDS , DTS.

Merry, rockin Xmas all.

Fizzy :)

Here's an upcoming release - the Kickstart campaign has successfully ended, CD+DVD (incl. 5.1 mix) should be out of by December 1st:
Jon and Matt reunite as the Schaffer/Barlow Project to celebrate the Winter Solstice as only they can! Jon and Matt tackle Christmas classics on the new record "Winter Nights"

We Three Kings
Silent Night
Do You Hear What I Hear?
Little Drummer Boy
I Died For You (Winter 2020)
Watching Over Me (Winter 2020)
Silent Night (Traditional)

Kickstarter Exclusive! Every CD comes with a 2nd bonus disc featuring a surround sound 5.1 audio mix of the EP

Last edited:
Back