GOS' laptop on the fritz...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly what Mrs Gos 3.0 is telling me.

Hi Gos,

if you mainly want to play media files from your NAS, I would rather suggest to buy a standard, state-of-the-art PC with Windows 10 and HDMI out. It's cheaper and it can be much easier upgraded than a laptop. In addition you will just need a wireless keyboard (Logitech).

If the PC is too noisy you can change the case fans with better ones (e.g. Bequiet Silent Wings). That's not too difficult. Then you install KODI for the media interface and you are all set. You can control everything from your sofa :)

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi Gos,

if you mainly want to play media files from your NAS, I would rather suggest to buy a standard, state-of-the-art PC with Windows 10 and HDMI out. It's cheaper and it can be much easier upgraded than a laptop. In addition you will just need a wireless keyboard (Logitech).

If the PC is too noisy you can change the case fans with better ones (e.g. Bequiet Silent Wings). That's not too difficult. Then you install KODI for the media interface and you are all set. You can control everything from your sofa :)

Cheers,
Andreas

I currently control everything from my sofa, with a Logitech wireless keyboard. Only I have an average laptop, not a tower PC. I have debated going with a tower. I suppose that's another consideration when I buy something new. My laptop never gets moved from it's place on my shelf. Only now, since it has been failing me have I put it back on my "lap".

By the way, I now have gotten past all my troubles momentarily and have the newest windows 10 upgrades installed, with no problems. Now I just have to download all those programs I had before that allow me to rip my physical discs. :)

I currently control everything from my sofa, with a Logitech wireless keyboard. Only I have an average laptop, not a tower PC. I have debated going with a tower. I suppose that's another consideration when I buy something new. My laptop never gets moved from it's place on my shelf. Only now, since it has been failing me have I put it back on my "lap".

By the way, I now have gotten past all my troubles momentarily and have the newest windows 10 upgrades installed, with no problems. Now I just have to download all those programs I had before that allow me to rip my physical discs. :)

If you could live without a laptop and get a desktop...you could get a lot more bang for your buck.... and upgrade ability is much higher on the desktop..

And then he'd have to get a bigger couch! :couch

But I do concur: Clint is right. (y)

I also agree with Clint.
Back in the late 90-s early 00s, your mainstay was a desktop, but you gUys all know that a DECENT laptop is VERY CHEAP...and external drives are also cheap, so it's quite affordable to have BOTH (UNLESSS you a re a Mac user...fuggheddaboutit!!!)

I am contemplating ("..are you contemplating , what I'm contemplating, Pinky?") playing back from a laptop or desktop...but, for now, discs will do fine...

edit: "guys"

Last edited:
Desktops are for Geezers.

try buying a blu-ray drive that rips 4k discs and installing that in a laptop. lol

try buying a M.2 PCI-E SSD and installing that in a laptop (as opposed to just buying a pci-e desktop adapter for $15 bucks) and getting 3000MB/s for your boot drive. lol

OK, how odd. While I was typing all this, my laptop finished resetting ( I thought). Only it said "There were troubles with the reset, nothing was changed"

Seriously? I can't even erase the damn thing and start over? What could be stopping it from doing this? Geez...

I have not read this entire thread but.... this computer has no business being connected to the internet or be allowed to do any updates or installations what so ever.

I have a music server st home with win 10 on it. I strictly control it's software and do not leave it able to do any updates. And it works fine as do all my other computers I have six computers, no 7 actually all of them do something good, none of them get any updates until I say so.

Eh....like I said, mine is set up to not allow any updates, yet it still seems to have a mind of its own. Anyway, I have put that one out to pasture and purchased a new Dell today and off to better things hopefully. This thread can now die I guess.

Eh....like I said, mine is set up to not allow any updates, yet it still seems to have a mind of its own. Anyway, I have put that one out to pasture and purchased a new Dell today and off to better things hopefully. This thread can now die I guess.

Now you can move on with your NEW AVR purchase
..........you can resort to being GOS 3.0 in the New Year. :party

[video=youtube;WEZQvBKmJTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEZQvBKmJTE[/video]

Now you can move on with your NEW AVR purchase
..........you can resort to being GOS 3.0 in the New Year. :party

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....you are wasting your time Ralphie...he's reborn...3.0 is online now..he's faster...he's smarter...he's eco-friendly...he comes to a full stop at intersections now..he will pet your dog...mow your lawn....buy your groceries...no task is too great for Gos 3.0:)

Back