GOS' laptop on the fritz...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't figure the foobar thing out. It continues to stutter audio wise and also the meter simply freezes for 2-3 seconds every half minute or so. I even bought a new router hoping somehow it could improve things...only it didn't.

I also downloaded KOdi, not sure if it's just me...but I don't like that player. Seems to me that it's a bit clunky....

So, I now listen to my flac files via my oppo, which doesn't stutter....just doesn't seem much fun to use compared to foobar....

Oh well.

If you're playing over the network, have you tried upping your playback buffer (File->Preferences->Output->'Buffer length' slider)? I had some issues playing back FLACs over WiFi that sound similar to what you're describing, and adjusting the buffer all but eliminated the problem. I can't remember what the default is, but try adding 1000ms to whatever it is, try a playback, and add another 1000ms if you still encounter stuttering or pausing until the problem goes away.

If you're playing over the network, have you tried upping your playback buffer (File->Preferences->Output->'Buffer length' slider)? I had some issues playing back FLACs over WiFi that sound similar to what you're describing, and adjusting the buffer all but eliminated the problem. I can't remember what the default is, but try adding 1000ms to whatever it is, try a playback, and add another 1000ms if you still encounter stuttering or pausing until the problem goes away.

I don't know how high I increased it, but I had tried that. Both my NAS and laptop are connecting to the network direct, via Ethernet...so wifi is not in the picture.

Seconding the suggestion that you try VLC or some other player, and see if the stuttering remains. Foobar uses very little memory load in its normal use. Your new laptop should be entirely adequate to run it.

Also try a different output device (e.g DS vs WASAPI)

Also try asking on Hydrogenaudio's foobar tech support forum. Foobar developers read and answer posts there. When you do ask, post your foobar components list, what output device you use, and whether you did a standard or portable installation.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/board,29.0.html

In order to eliminate the network as the source of the stuttering problem, copy one multi-channel flac to your local drive and play it from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions all....something did just happen that I've never noticed before...

I was playing a video from youtube, and in fact, it did just stutter....the exact same way it does in Foobar! Right when it stuttered, the screen went black...and suddenly my laptop screen flashed a couple times (almost like the resolution had been changed) and then the audio cut out from my Denon and audio then played from laptop speakers.....then flashed again, then audio resumed from my Denon.

This is a first, never noticed that before...but certainly must all be related. This may seem obvious - but is it possible I have a bad HDMI cable? Or somehow, something isn't communicating correctly between all the devices?

As a reminder - all my devices that can create sound or picture (laptop, Oppo, DVR, TV) are connected to my Denon via HDMI.

Does this help you all give me more suggestions?

I assume I should try a different cable...only I don't have a spare right now. (HDMI)
Or do my comments point towards something else?

These HDMI cables tend to fail for whatever reason. So it could be the cable actually. For a test you can also try to switch the cables from the Oppo and the laptop.

It sounds like that the laptop has an issue recognizing to which output the video/audio should be sent to (HDMI vs internal). Hopefully the new cable helps, otherwise it’s a nasty problem. Can be anything. Should’ve bought a midi tower (does not help, I know :) )

These HDMI cables tend to fail for whatever reason. So it could be the cable actually. For a test you can also try to switch the cables from the Oppo and the laptop.

It sounds like that the laptop has an issue recognizing to which output the video/audio should be sent to (HDMI vs internal). Hopefully the new cable helps, otherwise it’s a nasty problem. Can be anything. Should’ve bought a midi tower (does not help, I know :) )

Snood starting to think it HDMI also - Snood had hdmi probs with 2 tvs - only figured it out after using the same HDMI cord on 2 separate tvs by mistake........My original tv would come up with crazy HDMI not supported BS notices on screen - Had this nice bulky cord never moved or anything.......went out to Snood cabin with nother tv and took cord from my tv.........it would cut out by just touching it or moving the pizza box :rolleyes:

Changed to a run of the mill hdmi cord like 4 for 10 bux and that was the problem.

So hopefully that is yours.........

one question tho GOS - have you tried playing your files 5.1 or 2.0 flacs straight from laptop and foobar thru the laptop speakers or headsetspeakers connected to laptop......is there any cutout or lag/staggering when doing so?

If the lappy is playing the files fine just from laptop to lappy speakers or headset...........then that eliminates me think the inards of the lappy?? Then it seems a connection issue - hdmi cord hopefully or ports

Dont go mega cord crazy hell buy some reg ones on Amazon cheaaaaaaap - if need be buy cheap 2.0 altho only if 4k and even then......1.4 prob be fine

In order to eliminate the network as the source of the stuttering problem, copy one multi-channel flac to your local drive and play it from there.

OK, I finally got around to doing this. I totally disconnected my laptop from the network. Disconnected every cable that was connected, including the power cord. Had a music flac file on my laptop...popped open Foobar and it still behaves erratically.

So. I guess that eliminated everything but my laptop itself. So, what to do now? Drivers are all up to date, etc. Tons of space, so not lacking there...

OK, I finally got around to doing this. I totally disconnected my laptop from the network. Disconnected every cable that was connected, including the power cord. Had a music flac file on my laptop...popped open Foobar and it still behaves erratically.

So. I guess that eliminated everything but my laptop itself. So, what to do now? Drivers are all up to date, etc. Tons of space, so not lacking there...

Did the audio drivers come from Microsoft or did they come from manufacturer of the PC's sound card? They are not always the same.

Did you try using a media player other than Foobar? Maybe try a copy of VLC and see what happens.

Did the audio drivers come from Microsoft or did they come from manufacturer of the PC's sound card? They are not always the same.

Did you try using a media player other than Foobar? Maybe try a copy of VLC and see what happens.

As a reminder, I played a video in youtube, and it stuttered the exact same way it does in foobar. So....
Regarding Drivers - I'll have to double check. I think I posted the drivers back a ways in this thread. I'll take a look...

As a reminder, I played a video in youtube, and it stuttered the exact same way it does in foobar. So....
Regarding Drivers - I'll have to double check. I think I posted the drivers back a ways in this thread. I'll take a look...

Ok so you are reasonably sure it happens with any audio player.

It certainly makes the drivers suspect.

If you go to the device manager you can see who the manufacturer of the audio chip is. Realtek is a very common manufacturer (it may not be yours however). You can go to the Realtek site and download the driver made for your equipment.

Although they often work, the updates you get from Microsoft are not necessarily the same drivers.

If you've ruled out all the connections, and all the peripherals, and the media player software, and the drivers, there is really nothing left other than the laptop itself.

Ok so you are reasonably sure it happens with any audio player.

It certainly makes the drivers suspect.

If you go to the device manager you can see who the manufacturer of the audio chip is. Realtek is a very common manufacturer (it may not be yours however). You can go to the Realtek site and download the driver made for your equipment.

Although they often work, the updates you get from Microsoft are not necessarily the same drivers.

If you've ruled out all the connections, and all the peripherals, and the media player software, and the drivers, there is really nothing left other than the laptop itself.

I will admit, I never noticed it in Kodi, but I didn't use Kodi much more than 10 minutes because I didn't like the interface. :)
Are you saying if I don't have Realtek, that I should download it? Or, you're just saying whatever my driver brand is, to go to their website and download the driver again?

Yes to the above. Did you load the driver that way already?

Yes, I had already gone that route. To follow up on Robert's suggestion. I installed that program and it "found" 19 drivers out of date. Which, surely seems odd to me. How could there be 19? Anyway - I took a leap of faith and let it install what it thought were the updated drivers and all that stuff. We'll see what that does. :confused:

OK, fired up Foobar again, the visuals continue to freeze every 10 seconds (spectrum and time). When those 2 things freeze, the audio continues. I'd say the stutter in audio only happens every 10 minutes or so. Sometimes every 20 minutes. Regardless, that is not acceptable to me.

Comment - when I'm playing Foobar, even my keystrokes (Bluetooth) cannot keep up. There certainly is more going on here...but who the hell knows. My keystrokes are just fine as long as I'm not using Foobar.

But, let's not pick on Foobar, because as I've said, youtube has audio stutters too. Yes, I even disabled Bluetooth a couple weeks ago and Foobar still had same issues. So, can't blame it on Bluetooth somehow.

It seems like either a hardware issue or something grabbing lots of CPU time. Can you open it and carefully reseat the memory modules? being careful not to static zap them.

If you do open it up, try pushing all the connectors you see to make sure they are firmly in place.

Back