GOS' laptop on the fritz...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it would. I'd forgotten, I thought I was still your old one :yikes. Something isn't right with it, it shouldn't be doing what it is, can you return it?

It's a new laptop - will that void my warranty?

I've had youtube playing for 4 minutes and it finally stuttered. Actually, it's like a 3 second buzz sound...not a stutter. Just to clarify. Yes, even just playing youtube, my keyboard is super sluggish.

Having scrolled back and looked at the posts its a Dell. You should have Dell SupportAssist on it (in the Dell folder), where you can check hardware and Optimise your system.

Having scrolled back and looked at the posts its a Dell. You should have Dell SupportAssist on it (in the Dell folder), where you can check hardware and Optimise your system.

I do, unfortunately, when I try to use it - I get "runtime" errors and it closes. Go figure...

I'm pretty much ready to just go postal. I've been on a 2 hour troubleshooting call with Dell. The guy took control of my laptop (which I thought was a good thing) and did all kinds of updates (not sure why I couldn't find these updates). Still, nothing worked and audioi problems continued. Then, when I rebooted - now I can't see my laptop on my TV like before. Nothing I do fixes it. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

So, he then sends me email with instructions on how to wipe my drive and start over. Instructions are simple. Only, my laptop will not start up via a USB drive. He gives me very simple instructions. Everything works until I get to the point where I'm supposed to tell it USB drive....and there are no choices for USB drive. So my laptop simply starts up normally. Over and over...nothing.

I'm about ready to fucking explode.

I'm pretty much ready to just go postal. I've been on a 2 hour troubleshooting call with Dell. The guy took control of my laptop (which I thought was a good thing) and did all kinds of updates (not sure why I couldn't find these updates). Still, nothing worked and audioi problems continued. Then, when I rebooted - now I can't see my laptop on my TV like before. Nothing I do fixes it. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

So, he then sends me email with instructions on how to wipe my drive and start over. Instructions are simple. Only, my laptop will not start up via a USB drive. He gives me very simple instructions. Everything works until I get to the point where I'm supposed to tell it USB drive....and there are no choices for USB drive. So my laptop simply starts up normally. Over and over...nothing.

GOS
buddy it is time to send it back...... back to the store or whatever online store you got it from - there is no need for this day in age for anything like this to be happening.......rare times people do get a lemon :( - demand your money back and start anewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :banana:

I don't know, I suspect it has a 30 day return policy...which I'm like at 40 days. :mad:@:
That 30 day return policy is probably the no-questions-asked return period, but normally warranty is 1 or 2 years. At least in Europa.

Apart from that, you have been intouch with Dell within the 30 days period anyway, therefore it cannot be a surprise for them you want to return the laptop.

Send it back, and demand a replacement. It sounds more and more like a hardware issue. You shouldn't have to go through all this sh*t.

BTW I think he should have told you to change BIOS settings. Most machines require you to go to the BIOS and set it up to boot from USB, then once its all up and running OK, change the BIOS back to boot from SSD/HDD.

I was so angry last night I could have burned my house down. I had to go to bed early to cool off. hahaha.
I'm tip-toeing around even saying this....but things could be looking up. Why?

I finally got the Windows 10 to reinstall and I immediately went to Foobar. I noticed a difference right away. The font of all the library was back the way I'm used to....it always looked too small to me and nothing I could do would fix it.

Played a song all the way through, and the spec meters never jittered or stalled once. :yikes
And, song played just fine. And, while playing Foobar, I opened a browser and started typing....no delay in typing like before. :chill

I know I have probably jinxed myself by even saying this so soon...but man.

So far, so good. Everything, including Foobar audio, Foobar fonts, Foobar meters. They all work like they did with my last laptop. My new one never did seem right. My Bluetooth keyboard continues to work flawlessly. No delayed keystrokes...even with multiple programs running.

This is how it should have been right out of the box. The thing that makes a person apprehensive when buying a new computer is....you really never know if it's the computer...or somehow it simply doesn't play nicely with all the other pieces you have in your network. It makes troubleshooting rather difficult.

:upthumb

So far, so good. Everything, including Foobar audio, Foobar fonts, Foobar meters. They all work like they did with my last laptop. My new one never did seem right. My Bluetooth keyboard continues to work flawlessly. No delayed keystrokes...even with multiple programs running.

This is how it should have been right out of the box. The thing that makes a person apprehensive when buying a new computer is....you really never know if it's the computer...or somehow it simply doesn't play nicely with all the other pieces you have in your network. It makes troubleshooting rather difficult.

I know very little about computers..but my audio experiences came in handy with my new computer...I hooked up my new computer to my new monitor and no signal...so I called the Acer support center and after an agonizing encounter with a woman I couldn't understand(broken English) I figured it out myself...no signal wasn't a problem with the computer..I had used an HDMI connection and the monitor was set to receive a VGA connection..so I switched the monitor to the HDMI setting...and it was fine...the windows portion of the set up wasn't a lot of fun...I thought since I bought a new computer model(2018).. the updates for windows 10 wouldn't be that time consuming...one continuous update took 6 hours!...more updates the next day.. I thought I was done...and then I received a message the following day that I had an "outdated" version of windows 10...so another download...actually navigating windows 10 is pretty easy..and the setup isn't bad either..

Well - so much for a good thing. My laptop performed perfectly all day. I left everything on (didn't exit any programs). Was gone for maybe an hour. Came home and turned on Foobar...and it resorted back to the weird font. While the audio doesn't fail me...the font is odd. Words are cut off and don't fit. My keystrokes are sluggish again. WTF?

What happens when you restart the laptop?

Edit: in the Playing Now thread you posted a picture of your screen and hadrware. You have the laptop open I see. Could the change in fonts have anything to do with the laptop not knowing which screen to choose, your LT or your TV?

Back