SACD vs. LP Sales

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Yesterday I received a Holiday Specials brochure from Music Direct and on the back cover is the 2LP vinyl set that Ralphie discussed in his post HERE...the interesting part for me was the number of copies for this set..it's stickly limited to 7500 copies...I guess it shows you how much cheaper it is to produce the vinyl vs the SACDs

Yesterday I received a Holiday Specials brochure from Music Direct and on the back cover is the 2LP vinyl set that Ralphie discussed in his post HERE...the interesting part for me was the number of copies for this set..it's stickly limited to 7500 copies...I guess it shows you how much cheaper it is to produce the vinyl vs the SACDs

It's more a case of how many they expect to sell. These days, MoFi is doing 2,000-3,000 SACDs and 2,000 - 7,500 LPs per reissue.
Labels doing 15ips Analog Tape reissues do up to 800 - 1,000 copies.

Reissues are clearly a niche market today.

I think it also has something to do with vinyl pressing facilities versus SACD.
I don't know who presses Mo-Fi vinyl but AFAIK Analogue Productions bought their own.

Currently there are only 2 active SACD lines, one in Japan owned by Sony and one in Austria.

Whether a reissue is on LP or SACD, there is plenty of pressing/replication capacity available to make more copies than are being brought to market.
The numbers are driven by demand.

On Analogue Productions, Chad Kassem not only bought additional used LP presses (and refurbished them for service) but he also bought The Mastering Lab and moved it from California to his operation in Salina, Kansas.
They clearly plan to be pressing more LPs in the months ahead! (Although The Mastering Lab could also be used for mastering SACD reissues on Analogue Productions).

Whether a reissue is on LP or SACD, there is plenty of pressing/replication capacity available to make more copies than are being brought to market.
The numbers are driven by demand.

On Analogue Productions, Chad Kassem not only bought additional used LP presses (and refurbished them for service) but he also bought The Mastering Lab and moved it from California to his operation in Salina, Kansas.
They clearly plan to be pressing more LPs in the months ahead! (Although The Mastering Lab could also be used for mastering SACD reissues on Analogue Productions).

I remember reading this

Currently there are only 2 active SACD lines, one in Japan owned by Sony and one in Austria.

There are currently 3 SACD pressing facilities in the world. In addition to the ones owned by Sony in Japan and Austria, the 3rd SACD pressing facility is in Germany, owned by Arvato, the company formerly known as Sonopress.

Back