laptop displayed on tv

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Ugh - I totally hate computers. I really do. I wish settings came naturally to me, but they don't. So, my previous laptop was connected via HDMI to my AVR. My TV connected to my AVR via HDMI. I could then simply listen and watch my laptop through my TV screen and AVR audio. Easy right?

New laptop. Simply connect the already routed HDMI cable to my new laptop. Can I see it on my TV like my previous? Nope. No matter what I do, reboot laptop, reboot AVR, reboot TV....nada. Just a screen that says no signal.

Anyone? :violin

Ugh - I totally hate computers. I really do. I wish settings came naturally to me, but they don't. So, my previous laptop was connected via HDMI to my AVR. My TV connected to my AVR via HDMI. I could then simply listen and watch my laptop through my TV screen and AVR audio. Easy right?

New laptop. Simply connect the already routed HDMI cable to my new laptop. Can I see it on my TV like my previous? Nope. No matter what I do, reboot laptop, reboot AVR, reboot TV....nada. Just a screen that says no signal.

Anyone? :violin

Ask ZOLTAR: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/zol...s-tom-hanks-movie-big-particular-41179629.jpg

Try going to setup, display on the laptop, and see if you can set for dual monitor. I'm assuming your laptop is displaying what you want. Can't try it I'm writing this on my phone!

Try going to setup, display on the laptop, and see if you can set for dual monitor. I'm assuming your laptop is displaying what you want. Can't try it I'm writing this on my phone![/QUOTEYeah

Yeah - that was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work out. Same problem. :mad:@:

OK - so I have audio, not video. So, I know the "connection" is right. There must be some damn setting on my laptop...but where? How can audio be passing via HDMI, but not video??

I changed HDMI cable, no luck. I plugged in my old laptop...just to make sure and instantly got a picture on my TV. WTF! I hate computers...have I said that already?

Eh...OK. More information. I bypassed my AVR, and plugged my laptop directly to TV and I get a picture. So. Here is what I know.

Old laptop, HDMI to AVR, AVR to TV. Got Picture
New laptop, HDMI to AVR, AVR to TV. No picture, but sound
New laptop, HDMI direct to TV, Picture and Sound.

So, what the hell does that mean?

Eh...OK. More information. I bypassed my AVR, and plugged my laptop directly to TV and I get a picture. So. Here is what I know.

Old laptop, HDMI to AVR, AVR to TV. Got Picture
New laptop, HDMI to AVR, AVR to TV. No picture, but sound
New laptop, HDMI direct to TV, Picture and Sound.

So, what the hell does that mean?

Gene, do yourself a favor before you become REALLY flustered. Take a break and call up DELL customer support tomorrow. If you're using an older Onkyo AVR it probably has to do with that. Maybe it IS time for a newer AVR.

Gene, do yourself a favor before you become REALLY flustered. Take a break and call up DELL customer support tomorrow. If you're using an older Onkyo AVR it probably has to do with that. Maybe it IS time for a newer AVR.

I know, I am very frustrated. Ugh. I have given up for tonight. I’m on Xmas break now...so I’ll try in AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

connect your old laptop to the avr

go to "intel display (Graphics)" settings

copy everything you see

now unplug your old laptop and plug in your new dell to the avr

go to "intel Graphics display" settings and make sure everything (resolution, refresh rate, second monitor, dual monitor, etc) is the same as your old laptop

the fact that you have sound on your new laptop thru avr means you have the proper driver so it's simply a matter of settings (or HDMI handshake because of new HDMI port but that would probably not passthru sound so that's probably not the issue)

Last edited:
Might be computer settings, but it could also be AVR settings. I trust all HDMI cables are the latest version?

I had a thought (bad move normally, possibly now as well!), try reducing the screen resolution on the new laptop settings, it might be set higher than the AVR can handle.

I know, I am very frustrated. Ugh. I have given up for tonight. I’m on Xmas break now...so I’ll try in AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

connect your old laptop to the avr

go to "intel display (Graphics)" settings

copy everything you see

now unplug your old laptop and plug in your new dell to the avr

go to "intel Graphics display" settings and make sure everything (resolution, refresh rate, second monitor, dual monitor, etc) is the same as your old laptop

the fact that you have sound on your new laptop thru avr means you have the proper driver so it's simply a matter of settings (or HDMI handshake because of new HDMI port but that would probably not passthru sound so that's probably not the issue)

There are awesome suggestions. I will do that.

Must be a display setting, try the extend display option or duplicate, one of those.

salsdali recommended me to compare graphics information (drivers, etc) on my old laptop vs new one. Everything had matched until I got to:

Display Adapters old = Intel HD Graphics 4000
Display Adapters new = Intel UHD Graphics 620

I'm not a big fan of changing drivers if I don't know the impact. I assume new one has Ultra High Definition (UHD) compared to just High Definition (HD)??

Any ideas what I should do here? I just purchased this laptop, I'm not going to feel good about changing software.... (drivers)

continuing with suggestions -

Under Sound, video and game controllers...
Old - High Definition Audio Device has Microsoft drivers
New - There is not a category called this...

Old - Intel Display Audio - driver is intel version 6.16.0.3154 (2014)
New - Intel Display Audio - driver is intel version 10.22.1.100 (2017)

Old - there is not a category called this...
New - Realtek Audio - driver by Realtek (2017 version)

I wouldn't change the drivers as it is a new laptop so it will have the correct drivers already, it is a Dell.

I have a new Dell XPS desktop (with an nVidia graphics to the Monitor via HDMI (no audio)) and it is much better than my ASUS laptop, & old Acer Desktop which frequently hiccup as ASUS & Acer mess with the default Windows installation so updates etc. often misbehave.

HDMI communicates with the 'target' device via a datalink. The Audio & Video are all part of the same digital data stream, separate to the device datalink. So your AVR should route the Visual to your TV and the Audio to the AVR speakers. So maybe it isn't seeing your laptop as an Audio/Visual source, just Audio. It maybe seeing too high a Video resolution for it to pass through, hence try reducing the video to a lower resolution. My feeling is its something to do with how your AVR is seeing the laptop HDMI data stream.

continuing with suggestions -

Under Sound, video and game controllers...
Old - High Definition Audio Device has Microsoft drivers
New - There is not a category called this...

Old - Intel Display Audio - driver is intel version 6.16.0.3154 (2014)
New - Intel Display Audio - driver is intel version 10.22.1.100 (2017)

Old - there is not a category called this...
New - Realtek Audio - driver by Realtek (2017 version)

Back