Laptop - install SSD??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Don't worry - nothing is broke. :)

So, I purchased my wife a rather cheap laptop as she was getting tired of her ipad. I got it couple weeks ago for $440 on a flash sale on Newegg. I have included a link to the exact laptop I purchased.

This one does not offer a hybrid system (hard drive and SSD). I knew that when I bought it. But, not having a SSD does slow it down a bit.

My question is - can I buy a stand alone SSD and install it in this particular laptop? If I recall, some laptops you can do this quite easily and others simply don't allow for that sort of upgrade (I'm told anyway)

Here is the link with the specs...
Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Newegg link

The link doesn't work over here in the UK.

I think you'll need an internal SSD as you want it to boot-up quickly, I've found USB to SATA (the disc connection) only works some of the time as the machine needs to boot before it can see the SATA drive over USB. You'll have to exactly copy the contents of HHD on to it, more pain. You could get an external HHD case and fit the SSD, then copy the contents to it, then swap the SSD and HDD around. If it doesn't work you can put the HDD back in the laptop and use the SSD as an external data drive.

So, I purchased my wife a rather cheap laptop as she was getting tired of her ipad. I got it couple weeks ago for $440 on a flash sale on Newegg. I have included a link to the exact laptop I purchased.

This one does not offer a hybrid system (hard drive and SSD). I knew that when I bought it. But, not having a SSD does slow it down a bit.

My question is - can I buy a stand alone SSD and install it in this particular laptop? If I recall, some laptops you can do this quite easily and others simply don't allow for that sort of upgrade (I'm told anyway)

Newegg link

Newegg link

Depends on the model, but probably. The big exception is Apple products and other ultraportable systems, but all of those use SSDs. Laptops with hard drives generally have a standard 2.5" drive bay, although the problem can be accessing it. Is she the type to download much though?

Depends on the model, but probably. The big exception is Apple products and other ultraportable systems, but all of those use SSDs. Laptops with hard drives generally have a standard 2.5" drive bay, although the problem can be accessing it. Is she the type to download much though?

No, she is not. Mostly surfing, maybe storing some pics of the family. A few excel files here and there. Not much more I suppose....

buy a Samsung evo ssd, download (free) Samsung Migration software that allows you to clone

buy a usb 3.0 adapter on amazon for $10, connect ssd to laptop using adapter, clone acer drive to Samsung ssd then unscrew the back panel of the Acer and unscrew and pull out the dell HDD and replace with the Samsung ssd

unless I'm mistaken newegg's product photos are actually showing you pics of exactly how to do this:

34-316-125-V04.jpg

34-316-125-V05.jpg

Back