Media Player: Mecool M8S Pro + (AMlogic 4K UHD and HDMI pass-through)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I tried the latest LibreElec (Kodi on Linux) build on a 'spare' media player I bought for one of my kids - Mecool M8S Pro + with a AMlogic S905X processor 2GB RAM with latest firmware.

This played back 4K UHD MKVs flawlessly including HDR on my 4K LG TV (non HDR) with automatic resolution switching and conversion of HDR to SDR at 24Hz (or the equiv 29.997 or whatever the real number is).

Interestingly, an automated update came through yesterday that 'broke' the 24Hz sync (now plays at 30Hz) - that issue has been reported so no doubt another update will come through shortly. EDIT: The fix is coming today, so this issue will be solved!

HD audio working perfectly via HDMI pass-through (incl. Atmos, DTS-HDMA etc)

The Mecool M8S Pro + is very snappy for navigation and plays back everything. Excellent value. Currently on special at GeekBuying for $37 USD! You need to add a fast SD Card to run LibreElec (Class 10 Samsung EVO Plus, Samsung SELECT or Sandisk Extreme are recommended - all pretty cheap - 16GB min but 32GB can have faster read/write).

The navigation and playback on the $37 media player is as good as my $500 NUC. Remote is very good. The only thing the NUC does better is the way faster loading of media (e.g scanning FLAC file tags is about 20 times faster on the NUC since it has an SSD 'hard drive' and 1GB LAN). But once scanned the two operate & playback pretty much the same.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-Plus-4K-TV-Box-381461.html

I have a Minix U9-H coming after Christmas which has better firmware support (Minix seem to be a bit more active in providing feature updates and support). I will post on that in the new year. These devices look like being the bee's knees for HD media file playback. (the Minix is around $130USD)

I tried the latest LibreElec (Kodi on Linux) build on a 'spare' media player I bought for one of my kids - Mecool M8S Pro + with a AMlogic S905X processor 2GB RAM with latest firmware.

This played back 4K UHD MKVs flawlessly including HDR on my 4K LG TV (non HDR) with automatic resolution switching and conversion of HDR to SDR at 24Hz (or the equiv 29.997 or whatever the real number is).

Interestingly, an automated update came through yesterday that 'broke' the 24Hz sync (now plays at 30Hz) - that issue has been reported so no doubt another update will come through shortly. EDIT: The fix is coming today, so this issue will be solved!

HD audio working perfectly via HDMI pass-through (incl. Atmos, DTS-HDMA etc)

The Mecool M8S Pro + is very snappy for navigation and plays back everything. Excellent value. Currently on special at GeekBuying for $37 USD! You need to add a fast SD Card to run LibreElec (Class 10 Samsung EVO Plus, Samsung SELECT or Sandisk Extreme are recommended - all pretty cheap - 16GB min but 32GB can have faster read/write).

The navigation and playback on the $37 media player is as good as my $500 NUC. Remote is very good. The only thing the NUC does better is the way faster loading of media (e.g scanning FLAC file tags is about 20 times faster on the NUC since it has an SSD 'hard drive' and 1GB LAN). But once scanned the two operate & playback pretty much the same.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-Plus-4K-TV-Box-381461.html

I have a Minix U9-H coming after Christmas which has better firmware support (Minix seem to be a bit more active in providing feature updates and support). I will post on that in the new year. These devices look like being the bee's knees for HD media file playback. (the Minix is around $130USD)

Kodi rules for video even when it was XBMC. I use it on windows 10 with a dual monitor setup. It opens in full screen on my "TV" and my pc monitor is unaffected.

Kodi rules for video even when it was XBMC. I use it on windows 10 with a dual monitor setup. It opens in full screen on my "TV" and my pc monitor is unaffected.

can Kodi on a pc play 4k iso's? I know kodi can play 4k mkv's but what about iso's and the atmos contained within?

can Kodi on a pc play 4k iso's? I know kodi can play 4k mkv's but what about iso's and the atmos contained within?

Don't know, just found out about ripping UHD a few days ago and my drive isn't compatible. Atmos works on Kodi, that is just bitstreaming 7.1. ...ISO is counterproductive anyway. MKV is king. Going through two menus, one through Kodi and another on a bluray seems cumbersome.

I'd imagine so (if its a decrypted ISO). The file structure of the new 4K/UHD BDs is same as a standard BD. Only difference is new protection and larger capacity discs. Some official 4K/UHD releases are actually on a standard 50GB double layer BD I've heard. Just HEVC/x265 video encoded and new protection.

Kodi will playback Atmos from MKVs.

Back