FREEZING!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes, the run-by shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P1000095xsm.jpg

Those train shots are my part of my world and, I as I posted earlier, this is the scariest winter I've ever seen here. No snow. This is turning into the "winter that wasn't" . I live 1000 feet higher than Durango and we've had 4" of snow all year. We would have had 4 or 5 feet by now in a normal year. Our forecast for the next 10 days is sunny and temps in the 50's. Hope we have water this summer and the fires don't take us. There were years in the past where they even stopped the train from running because of the fire danger. The train company started running a fire fighting car behind the train years back just to watch for and put out fires started by the coal embers. They do a great job, but I still worry that things are going to be so dry this summer without any snow this winter.

K

We did that one a few years back. They have a couple special "fall colors" trips that get booked up really quickly....photographers delight. They stopped the train several times along the trip, letting all the photogs out (and anyone else that wanted) then they back the train up so you can get great pics of the train coming towards you blowing off steam with the trees in fall color glory.

After the day of riding the rails, an evening hitting the brewpubs in Durango makes for a great little getaway.

P1000066xsm.jpg

Sounds like the perfect day to me. Love that photo. Many of my rail fan buddies call them photo runbys when diesel is powering the train and roto funbys when steam is pulling.

Psst, notice guys I said standard gauge.

Doug
There is a story which I'm not sure is true or not. Standard gauge is based on the width of the tracks left by roman chariots back in the day. The width is approximately the same as 2 horses asses.
When the rocket boosters were to be manufactured for the space shuttle the width of the railroad tunnel they would have to travel through required that the boosters not be wider than the width of 2 horses asses. So there goes all measuring systems out the window.

It’s still freezing with snow over in UK right now! It’s March in a few days?!? I hope it warms up for Paul Simon when he plays Hyde Park:sun

Its funny in the South of England 1mm of snow and everything stops! As a child in Scotland by the coast I remember snow ploughs stuck on the hill outside our house :mad:@: Where I now live by the coast in the South West of England in summer the rain is vertical and warm, and in Winter horizontal and cold-ish.....and I've become used to the warmth!

Hope UK will get be warmer soon :)

Here in Norway the spring has finally arrived, just -10 degrees Celsius and Gale force wind. I'm thinking of cutting the grass, just have to remove a meter of snow first.

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.2256/norwegians-and-cold-weather.html

:banana:

Thankfully it hasn't stopped the postman delivering 3 new Dutton SACD's (Breakaway, Angel Clare, rose garden) today. So that covers this evening then...

I'm tired of the cold and the snow, as I usually am around these times of the year. The sun sets at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and don't rise before 9 in the morning - in the darkest period. Much better in the summer when the sun only disappears for 2 hours around midnight.

So - looking forward to put away the snowblower and take these off the car and replace them with the "summer" wheels:

oP0HUqM.jpg

I recognised the form of the studs:) Have Hakka 9 SUV on our new car.
Last week it was -17,5 C on the site where we're building a new powerline.:(

I recognised the form of the studs:) Have Hakka 9 SUV on our new car.
Last week it was -17,5 C on the site where we're building a new powerline.:(

Hope you don't have to do outside work this week - it's going to be a cold an windy one :chill

Back