FREEZING!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+42 deg C here in Melbourne today and yesterday! Opposite extreme.

Wow! that's very warm. I remember it being 42 in Meekatharra, which is a very hot part of the country and very far across the continent from Melbourne. Current temp lists that as a cool 34 C, with the highs no warmer than Melbourne. Isn't the world record "only" 56 C?

Do homes in Melbourne generally have air conditioning?

Are the US the only country in the world that for some strange reason still uses the Fahrenheit scale?

Yup...We are not Europe, we are not England, we are not Australia, we are not Canada or any other country.

We are Americans and hopefully we will stay with the SAE system. Love it or cry a lot.:D

Wow! that's very warm. I remember it being 42 in Meekatharra, which is a very hot part of the country and very far across the continent from Melbourne. Current temp lists that as a cool 34 C, with the highs no warmer than Melbourne. Isn't the world record "only" 56 C?

Do homes in Melbourne generally have air conditioning?

Now days yes.

We just closed a coal fired power station and we now have a shortage of electricity. My electricity company paid me $41.50 to NOT use my air con for 3 hours for 1 day last week (4pm to 7pm peak). Crazy world.

Now days yes.

We just closed a coal fired power station and we now have a shortage of electricity. My electricity company paid me $41.50 to NOT use my air con for 3 hours for 1 day last week (4pm to 7pm peak). Crazy world.

I realize it's summer now in Australia.... and I know a little about the problems in your country..it's hard to believe these type of issues are around in 2018 in a developed country like Australia...I'm sure it was hard for you to turn that request down...and telling them that you had some new hi rez releases to hear couldn't have been easy:)

Inches, feet, yards, miles and fahrenheit.

Yes, I'm familiar with all of these quaint units, along with pints, gallons, pounds, ounces, fluid-ounces, therms, candles, foot-pounds and horsepower - but what actually is the SAE system you reference? What does having non-metric units do for you, apart from making scientific calculations very difficult and so incompatible with the rest of the world it leads to such disasters as the loss of NASA's Mars Climate Orbiter?

Yes, I'm familiar with all of these quaint units, along with pints, gallons, pounds, ounces, fluid-ounces, therms, candles, foot-pounds and horsepower - but what actually is the SAE system you reference? What does having non-metric units do for you, apart from making scientific calculations very difficult and so incompatible with the rest of the world it leads to such disasters as the loss of NASA's Mars Climate Orbiter?

I guess it is all about being different. North Korea also dances to a different tune. Hmmmm ...

I believe SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. I am familiar with the non metric tools marked as SAE, and I think other automotive terms for torque and horsepower are SAE expressions, but I'm not so sure "SAE" encompasses all of the unit systems used in the US.

I also think there was a planned changeover to the metric system many years ago in the US, but it just never happened. Too many complications I guess.

For what its worth, my most recent car, a 2017 Chevy Traverse, didn't even come with a km scale on the speedometer. All my cars over the last 20 years had both km and mph scales. Its very confusing when I travel into Canada now. :mad:@:

In the UK when it is hot we will often say it 70 (meaning 70 degrees Fahrenheit), yet when its cold say its -5 but meaning -5 degrees Centigrade! I remember when we went from being taught Imperial units to Metric (so no more rods, perches, or whatever) and also the enterprising kid at school when we when went from Pounds, Shillings & Pence to Decimalisation who sold the new coins and made a profit!

In the UK when it is hot we will often say it 70 (meaning 70 degrees Fahrenheit), yet when its cold say its -5 but meaning -5 degrees Centigrade! I remember when we went from being taught Imperial units to Metric (so no more rods, perches, or whatever) and also the enterprising kid at school when we when went from Pounds, Shillings & Pence to Decimalisation who sold the new coins and made a profit!

There has been way too much math for me to live there:yikes

All I can say is that it's about 31 F here right now. I have no idea what that translates to in C...and I don't think I care. When I go to South America, of course everything is in C. Who cares...I walk outside and I say..."damn, it's hot" Works for me....

All I can say is that it's about 31 F here right now. I have no idea what that translates to in C...and I don't think I care. When I go to South America, of course everything is in C. Who cares...I walk outside and I say..."damn, it's hot" Works for me....

Will you still be making those trips to South America with your new "assignment"?

Will you still be making those trips to South America with your new "assignment"?

Not likely. But, word on the street is that if I want and I have the time, and it's needed - I can offer to go to winter locations if breeders can't go. Which now means....I might get to go to mexico as it's a popular winter site for corn. :banana:

... and also the enterprising kid at school when we when went from Pounds, Shillings & Pence to Decimalisation who sold the new coins and made a profit!

That kid probably became currency trader and made a small fortune.

Funny thing for me visiting UK is its still miles on sign posts and miles per hour on speedos. Yet engineering is in metric. Some imperial weights when shopping, some kilos. Pints at the pub of course!

Funny thing for me visiting UK is its still miles on sign posts and miles per hour on speedos. Yet engineering is in metric. Some imperial weights when shopping, some kilos. Pints at the pub of course!

Now that's a language I can understand... :banana:

I've just been in Cyprus and its kilometres per hour, they drive on the same side of the road as the UK (almost got run over on my first visit as I didn't know so looked the other way when crossing!) but you can get pints of beer in the pubs!

Back