• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Akai 1800-SS--Need Media!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A/V SQuad

I just picked up an Akai 1800-SS locally. Anyone got a manual for this sucker?

The 8 track playback sounds fine, but the R2R seems a bit fuzzy/distorted. In record mode, it seems fine monitoring on headphones, so I will be digging in with a closer inspection of the heads, and a thorough cleaning of the contacts and pots. I'm hoping the caps are OK, since it's really the same electronics for both transport systems and the 8 tracks sound quite clear, if a bit wobbly.

Anyway, I don't have any R2R 4 Channel material, and would be interested in trading for original or 1st generation copies of discreet 4 channel sources (no upmixes or copies of digital sources). I have a grand total of one Q8, so there's some room to grow that collection too.

In addition to pictures of Presidents, I have some stereo vinyl to trade, a Lafayette rear channel decoder/amp (LA-524, knobs are presently misplaced--doh!), a Gefen HDMI 5.1 breakout box, a Millennium 2-4-6 decoder, maybe my IMF Ambisonic decoder that is a bit scratchy but works.

For guitarists, some used working vintage vacuum tubes, some FX pedals that aren't being used but seemed great to me last year, maybe a lap steel, some new sets of strings in gauges I don't use, a pair of 12" Celestion guitar speakers (a G12 and a V30, both are 8 ohms, sound good in a cab together if you like that British sound), or some other stuff could be discussed.

Please let me know what you have. A friend will lay some NIB Quantegy 7 inch reels on me, and I have a couple of virgin looking Maxells, so I could possibly trade back tapes for dubs.

I'm also looking for plastic 10" reels, either loaded or empty, for my new to me Berlant Concertone 1501. Or the mystery NAB hub adapters that would have shipped with this unit. I have some NIB and/or lightly used Ampex 456 on 10's that I might trade, or else load onto the plastic 10" reels (which use the same tape locks as 7's) using my Scully 280 which has OK transport but one dead preamp. I read I could use shims over the existing tape platters, but I drilled a guide hole in some CD's for that purpose, but it seems to raise NAB reels up too high.

Anyone who wants the Scully in trade could pick it up in Philly, as well as a large odd shaped road case I got a Melobar in once upon a time. A fully rebuilt Gretsch 6159 amp (Twin 12 by Valco) is also available for those with strong backs.

Post a reply or PM me. Trade offers and advice both welcome. Peace!

Have a look on hifiengine which is good for manuals, I only found stuff for 1800L which looks similar https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/1800l.shtml

I just picked up an Akai 1800-SS locally. Anyone got a manual for this sucker?

The 8 track playback sounds fine, but the R2R seems a bit fuzzy/distorted. In record mode, it seems fine monitoring on headphones, so I will be digging in with a closer inspection of the heads, and a thorough cleaning of the contacts and pots. I'm hoping the caps are OK, since it's really the same electronics for both transport systems and the 8 tracks sound quite clear, if a bit wobbly.

Anyway, I don't have any R2R 4 Channel material, and would be interested in trading for original or 1st generation copies of discreet 4 channel sources (no upmixes or copies of digital sources). I have a grand total of one Q8, so there's some room to grow that collection too.

In addition to pictures of Presidents, I have some stereo vinyl to trade, a Lafayette rear channel decoder/amp (LA-524, knobs are presently misplaced--doh!), a Gefen HDMI 5.1 breakout box, a Millennium 2-4-6 decoder, maybe my IMF Ambisonic decoder that is a bit scratchy but works.

For guitarists, some used working vintage vacuum tubes, some FX pedals that aren't being used but seemed great to me last year, maybe a lap steel, some new sets of strings in gauges I don't use, a pair of 12" Celestion guitar speakers (a G12 and a V30, both are 8 ohms, sound good in a cab together if you like that British sound), or some other stuff could be discussed.

Please let me know what you have. A friend will lay some NIB Quantegy 7 inch reels on me, and I have a couple of virgin looking Maxells, so I could possibly trade back tapes for dubs.

I'm also looking for plastic 10" reels, either loaded or empty, for my new to me Berlant Concertone 1501. Or the mystery NAB hub adapters that would have shipped with this unit. I have some NIB and/or lightly used Ampex 456 on 10's that I might trade, or else load onto the plastic 10" reels (which use the same tape locks as 7's) using my Scully 280 which has OK transport but one dead preamp. I read I could use shims over the existing tape platters, but I drilled a guide hole in some CD's for that purpose, but it seems to raise NAB reels up too high.

Anyone who wants the Scully in trade could pick it up in Philly, as well as a large odd shaped road case I got a Melobar in once upon a time. A fully rebuilt Gretsch 6159 amp (Twin 12 by Valco) is also available for those with strong backs.

Post a reply or PM me. Trade offers and advice both welcome. Peace!

I have two 1800-SS's both in need of repair. I was using the better one to copy my Q8's but one of the switches is intermittent, punch it in and out a bit and it might start working. That unit is in my pile of old equipment awaiting service when I get a chance. I'm sure that I have the service manual kicking around, I'll look for it but as I recall it contains a large number of foldout schematics that would not be all that easy to copy or else I would just copy it for you. I just checked Hifiengine https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/x-1800sd.shtml and it is available there for free anyway, just go there sign up and download! The large motor in the unit makes it one of the best units for playing Q8's! Search eBay for tapes both reel and Q8, most are overpriced but occasionally you find deals.

I have two 1800-SS's both in need of repair. I was using the better one to copy my Q8's but one of the switches is intermittent, punch it in and out a bit and it might start working. That unit is in my pile of old equipment awaiting service when I get a chance. I'm sure that I have the service manual kicking around, I'll look for it but as I recall it contains a large number of foldout schematics that would not be all that easy to copy or else I would just copy it for you. I just checked Hifiengine https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/x-1800sd.shtml and it is available there for free anyway, just go there sign up and download! The large motor in the unit makes it one of the best units for playing Q8's! Search eBay for tapes both reel and Q8, most are overpriced but occasionally you find deals.

Sorry to hear your units need repair. Mine's in good shape, not minty but not abused either. There are some dirty pots I got open the thing up to spray, the on board speakers sound vile, but it's usually OK plugged into my Pioneer QX-8000A.

I've seen that other manual, I wouldn't mind having the exact one, so if you happen to dig it up I'd appreciate that!

Sorry to hear your units need repair. Mine's in good shape, not minty but not abused either. There are some dirty pots I got open the thing up to spray, the on board speakers sound vile, but it's usually OK plugged into my Pioneer QX-8000A.

I've seen that other manual, I wouldn't mind having the exact one, so if you happen to dig it up I'd appreciate that!

Oh, and I have been using eBay a good bit this past week. I can afford Q8's and maybe am also getting some stereo 4 track open reel tapes, but quad reels are out of my price range, which is why I'd be grateful to score some 2nd generations...

I have three Q8's I would willingly part ways with for less than a princely sum. All are in good, working condition - but whether or not they are your cup of tea is probably the deciding factor. They are:

The Best of Charley Pride
Fiddler on the Roof Original Movie Soundtrack (2 tapes)

If you're interested, let me know! :confused:

I have three Q8's I would willingly part ways with for less than a princely sum. All are in good, working condition - but whether or not they are your cup of tea is probably the deciding factor. They are:

The Best of Charley Pride
Fiddler on the Roof Original Movie Soundtrack (2 tapes)

If you're interested, let me know! :confused:

PM sent

Back