Loudspeaker feeds, decoding & channels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevendive

QQ Supporter
In surround thinking, it’s worth keeping in mind that the number of audio channels does not necessarily dictate the number of loudspeaker feeds generated. Think of Dolby ProLogic and QS quad as examples. But there are Trifield and the superstereo mode of most ambisonic decoders as well, which are aimed at reproduction of music, stage, vocal and other acoustic material. For a long time, I have used ambi super’ for all my stereo listening on my main system.

I thought it worth giving the channel number thing an airing as stereo recordings can be treated as surround ones, according to preference. Stereo is no less encoded than any other >1 channel system. Quad itself can be decoded differently as well. For example, using Ambiophonics cross talk cancellation on the 4 extracted quad channels, which I have to say I have not tried. Might be interesting. These decoders are fairly easy to buy new.

Just for clarity, ambisonic and Ambiophonic are quite different in approach and use. Ambisonics is based upon the mathematical principle of spherical harmonic decomposition, reproducing at the listening position the same soundfield as around the recording microphone. Ambiophonics is a recursive way of eliminating crosstalk and widens the apparent stage. I use the latter on my Mac sound output in one room and the former in my main listening room. A friend has Ambiophonic as his main system, partly because this is practical for him and very definitely does sound good.

Way back when Alan Blumlein came up with stereo, he did not really think of stereo being limited to two loudspeakers but limitations more or less forced a two channel/two speaker approach. Many have hence become so familiar with the idea that channel number dictates speaker number that this now seems almost a law of sound reproduction and any form of, for example, matrixing the input channels (eg. ambisonic UHJ or early Dolby or SQ) isn’t proper hifi or purist. Both Trifield and ambi superstereo are designed to give a more thorough decode for stereo’s two channels in order to give a better front sector sound stage than standard stereo. Ambi superstereo can also wrap the stage around the listener; just wind the setting above about 0.5 and party or wallow.

In case I have made the case and persuaded anyone to give another decoding method a try, there are plenty of fairly inexpensive pre owned and a few new, though costly, ambisonic and Trifield decoders available, mainly Meridian Audio. New Ambiophonic boxes are pretty affordable.

Back