The Doors "R-Evolution" Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Didn't see a thread about this release so I figured it would be good to create one to talk about this release, especially since you can get the digibook version on amazon.com right now for $9.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWSWRFQ/

Combining early TV appearances with The Doors' own music films, R-Evolution illustrates how the band evolved from the constraints of mid-sixties television to a point where they had the creative input and power to shape how they were portrayed on screen. From an unknown L.A. band creating early music films to an established worldwide phenomenon executing creative control over their celluloid persona, R-Evolution shows the growth of The Doors from being forced to accept the formulaic television approach to taking control of the medium. It's all in the title – the evolution of a band that helped revolutionize the way rock bands promote their art.

R-Evolution brings together a wealth of previously unreleased footage of The Doors. This incredible release features the classics "Light My Fire," "People Are Strange," "Hello, I Love You," "Crawling King Snake," "L.A. Woman," "Moonlight Drive," "Break On Through (To The Other Side)," and many more.

R-Evolution boasts a wealth of excellent bonus features, including a commentary by Doors members John Densmore, Robby Krieger and the late Ray Manzarek plus Bruce Botnick and Elektra Records Founder Jac Holzman. Additionally there is a performance of "Break On Through (To The Other Side)" from the Isle Of Wight Festival 1970, a 45-minute documentary entitled "The Doors – Breaking Through The Lens," and "Love Thy Customer," a never-before-seen 1966 Ford training film with music by The Doors. Finally, the DVD has a section of outtakes from the band's appearance on the US TV show Malibu U in 1967.

In addition to the standard Blu-ray release, a Deluxe Edition is available, packaged in a 40-page DVD sized hardback book with a "scrapbook" style presentation on each track including lyrics, background info, trivia and photos. All footage has been carefully restored to the highest standards and the sound has been remixed and mastered for 5.1 by Bruce Botnick. Throughout R-Evolution, the unique charisma and talent of The Doors comes across, whether it be on a lightweight pop show or on a film created from their own imaginations, along with some of the most influential music ever made.

Tracklisting

1) Break On Through (To The Other Side)
Music Film – January 1967

2) Break On Through (To The Other Side)
From Shebang – March 5, 1967

3) The Crystal Ship
From American Bandstand – July 22, 1967

4) Light My Fire

5) Light My Fire
From Malibu U – August 25, 1967

6) People Are Strange
From Murray The K In New York – September 22, 1967

7) Moonlight Drive
From The Jonathan Winters Show – December 27, 1967

8) The Unknown Soldier
Music Film – February 1968

9) Hello, I Love You
From Musik Für Junge Leute: 4-3-2-1 Hot And Sweet – September 13, 1968

10) Touch Me
From The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour – December 15, 1968

11) Wild Child
Music Film – July 1969

12) Roadhouse Blues
Music Film – February 1970

13) Crawling King Snake
From GTK (Get To Know) – December 1970

14) The Changeling
Music Film – April 1971

15) Gloria
Music Film – October 1983

16) People Are Strange
Music Film – 198o's

17) Strange Days
Music Film – 1984

18) L.A. Woman
Music Film – 1985

19) Ghost Song
Music Film – 1995

Special Features:

Love Thy Customer (music by The Doors)
Ford Training Film – 1966

Outtakes:
Malibu U – 1967
Break On Through (To The Other Side) – Isle Of Wight, August 1970

Breaking Through The Lens documentary

Also here's a great review of the release on Blu-Ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Doors-R-Evolution-Blu-ray/86685/#Review

812gsH9YqQL._SL1500_.jpg

:)

Well I couldn't sleep, read RTblurays post last night and ordered a copy. Just to see the 60s tv footage seemed worth it to me. I wonder if the 5.1 mixes are the same from the box set. Im sure they couldn't license the Ed Sullivan footage. Even if I just watch it once or twice it seems worth it.

Very cool! I love that "L.A. Woman" video film, and with a 5.1 track to go with it, that makes whatever the set cost worth it alone!

Just ordered the Deluxe Edition from CD Universe. They still had some, but they indicate low stock on their website.

THANKS RT!!

Just ordered this and couldn't pass up Live at the Bowl '68. Thanks for the info. :)

Most of the videos utilize the 2006 5.1 Surround mixes originally found in the “Perception” DVDA-V set, while other videos have mono audio (ones where either the full band was live or Jim’s vocal was live)

Anyway, the digibook version was well worth the $10 I paid for it!
Besides the videos themselves, there’s also a 40 min documentary with Robby, John, and fellow travelers going through each of the videos on the set, not to mention that most of the videos look phenomenal in HD!

:)

I'm amazed at how good most of the videos are, I would guess captured on 16mm or 35mm film. Sound quality is good. Surround mix is beaten by the Quad versions I think.

I'm really enjoying this disc, I had overlooked it, so appreciate the heads up.
At this price, an excellent visual complement to the Singles box.

I was immersed in their first two albums in middle school, remember the Bandstand and Smothers Brothers appearances.
The documentary is a great history of the band and the music scene in those years.
The lip syncing and pantomiming on TV variety shows-- cringe-inducing, but all we had. :eek:

Surround mixes- LA Woman, which was not included on the Best Of quads, sounds fantastic.
Visually, the 80s MTV video that accompanies it was one of the best of its era.
Featured a young John Doe from X, one of the best LA bands of that time who were peaking about then.

:music

3) The Crystal Ship

very clear vocals

7) Moonlight Drive
From The Jonathan Winters Show – December 27, 1967

8) The Unknown Soldier
Music Film – February 1968

very interesting surround mix and some interesting era footage of Vietnam/Stateside

17) Strange Days
Music Film – 1984

18) L.A. Woman
Music Film – 1985

so iconic

19) Ghost Song
Music Film – 1995

one of the most under-rated Doors songs IMO
musical poetry

overall, a great video retrospective in the highest quality available

3) The Crystal Ship
From American Bandstand – July 22, 1967 very clear vocals
7) Moonlight Drive From The Jonathan Winters Show – December 27, 1967
8) The Unknown Soldier Music Film – February 1968
very interesting surround mix and some interesting era footage of Vietnam/Stateside
17) Strange Days Music Film – 1984
18) L.A. Woman Music Film – 1985
so iconic
19) Ghost Song Music Film – 1995
one of the most under-rated Doors songs IMO
musical poetry overall, a great video retrospective in the highest quality available

I happened to watch this today with the subtitles because I wanted to see the commentary. I never noticed before that during L.A. Woman, at the line "Or just another lost angel?" near the end of the song, there is a girl standing in a doorway and then a close up of her face. IT'S GAIL ZAPPA!!! :D
Another tidbit, during People Are Strange, relates how the commentator (which I think is Ray) relates how he introduced Mike Nesmith to the head of Nickelodeon after seeing Mike's video of RIO. This lead to videos on Nickelodeon, etc., etc which lead to MTV.
My favorite video on this set is Strange Days. Love seeing all the people on the cover come to life.

Back