Oscar Peterson Trio 3 channel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Re-release of 1964 Verve issue.
Case Back.jpg

The resulting output is 3 channels.... any idea what the 3rd channel is for? Sounds like solo piano while the rest of the trio are L and R channels. So do i put into the front speaker channel on my 5.1 file for PC. Intrigued.

trio.JPG

A lot of early recordings were on 3 channel Tape Recorders (I'd always thought they'd gone from 2 to 4 to 8 etc.), with one channel for the 'soloist', and the other two for the band. I'd put L & R into the Front Left & Rights, and the 3rd soloist into the Centre. I haven't played it in a while but I'm fairly sure that is how the Dave Brubeck "Time Out" SACD I have comes out on my player.

A lot of early recordings were on 3 channel Tape Recorders (I'd always thought they'd gone from 2 to 4 to 8 etc.), with one channel for the 'soloist', and the other two for the band. I'd put L & R into the Front Left & Rights, and the 3rd soloist into the Centre. I haven't played it in a while but I'm fairly sure that is how the Dave Brubeck "Time Out" SACD I have comes out on my player.

Thanks indeed. I guess that one thing I can do with 3 channels rather than stereo is mute L/R channels and just listen to the piano as a true solo. Would the original Verve just have been stereo?

I would think so, they would have mixed down the 3-track, probably a Mono version as well. I'm sure I've a few other Jazz albums where the blurb in the booklet says they were recorded to 3-track.

Thanks indeed. I guess that one thing I can do with 3 channels rather than stereo is mute L/R channels and just listen to the piano as a true solo. Would the original Verve just have been stereo?

Back