RIP Ray Thomas (Moody Blues)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Mark Powell and Esoteric Recordings are reporting that Ray Thomas from the Moody Blues died a few days ago.
I knew he wasn't in the best of health, but it especially sucks that he died this year, just as the Moody Blues are about to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April.
Ray (and Mike Pinder for that matter) never got the attention that Justin Hayward & John Lodge did, but his flute playing contributed greatly to all of their albums, not to mention that he wrote several amazing songs like "Legend of a Mind" and "For My Lady", singing them in his rich baritone voice.

This is my favorite of his:
[video=youtube;MjIXqcuXSqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjIXqcuXSqc[/video]

Very sad news. I do not know if recognition by the Hall of Fame meant anything to him but it would have been nice to see him inducted with his band mates either live or remotely.

I am often a minority in this quad fan minority and think that “From Mighty Oaks” is a stronger overall effort than most Moody Blues albums. The surround mix on the deluxe re-issue is spectacular. Just the right amount of orchestration and pop.

An underrated talent.

It's strange that no major media outlet is covering this especially with the Moody Blues being inducted in the HOF this year......Wikipedia seems like the only source that has some information...they list his passing on January 4th at the age of 76...he just had a birthday on December 29th...they don't list his cause of death but do reveal he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2013 and it was inoperable...RIP Ray

Let me take this moment to remind and "beg" men to get a yearly exam of your prostate...it's just a blood test and physical exam...this usually is a cancer that can be cured if you diagnose it in time...

I love Legend of a Mind - one of my favorite Moodys songs. I got to see them in 1978, and again at the Red Rocks show that was released as a video. What a great band!

I remember when Syd Barrett died it got extensive media coverage, and then when Rick Wright died it was as if it had never happened in the eyes of the media. Of course Rick was in the end a far greater - and one might argue more important - contributor to Pink Floyd. Even in the Syd era Floyd, I am unconvinced that the band would have been as popular or as good if Rick had not been there laying down those eerie chords on his organ. In fact he even features in some of Syd's solo material, much to the benefit of the songs. And to be clear, I LOVE Syd's music!

I digress a little, but I feel that this is an illustration of the phenomena of the under-appreciated band member that we seem to be seeing today with Ray. Well sir, the fans were listening, and we have not forgotten. Rest in peace!

Very sad news. The Moody Blues were one of the first concerts I ever saw, on the Long Distance Voyager tour. Ray was great. I love his trilogy of songs at the end of that album.

R.I.P. Veteran Cosmic Rocker. :-(

Rest in Peace, Ray. Your bandmate's VERY LONG OVERDUE induction into this year's R&R Hall of Fame will be even more poignant as your beautiful music lives on forever!

I loved his Moody Blues tunes, and was lucky enough to get a surround disc of "From Mighty Oaks" when it came out a few years ago.

It's a damn shame that the R&RHOF waits until these guys are dead or near-dead to induct them. There are so many unworthy acts in there now that putting these R&R pioneers in while they can still get around doesn't cost them a thing.

"Somewhere the sun is always shining", and it's shining on the memory of Ray Thomas.

If you ever got to stand under Ray up close and listen to that voice, the chickenskin would crawl. The last time i saw him was here at an outside venue that let you stand a few feet way, just lean on the stage. Year he retired. You could see how much he smiled that night, like he was enjoying a last ride, though we never knew he wished to retire. Met him several times and always a gentleman. Sure gonna miss ya Ray. RIP

I've seen some mention of it in the UK press, but more surprisingly in local news as he was actually born in the town where I live, RIP.

RIP, Ray; another great one bites the dust; thanks, for the wonderful memories!(y)

Very sad. I believe "For My Lady" is my all-time Moody Blues favorite. It is a very beautiful song. RIP, Mr. Thomas.

Doug

Back