Sony UBP-X800 4K/SACD/DVD-A Player: Who Has Lowest Price?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
This looks like an amazing buy at $250, but it appears others MAY have it cheaper.
Unfortunately, some sites are playing Hide The Model Number or adding slight variations (-B ... for "black"?) so I'm afraid of getting bait-and-switched. AV model numbers haven't quite approached the intentional confusion of the mattress industry, but they're getting close.

Anyone find the best deal?

This looks like an amazing buy at $250, but it appears others MAY have it cheaper.
Unfortunately, some sites are playing Hide The Model Number or adding slight variations (-B ... for "black"?) so I'm afraid of getting bait-and-switched. AV model numbers haven't quite approached the intentional confusion of the mattress industry, but they're getting close.

Anyone find the best deal?

It's been on sale for $150 around Christmas time and before that as well...my advice...wait until another holiday period and keep watching different sources...if you want it now...my suggestion would be to buy the warehouse special on amazon...it says used like new and sometimes it's actually new and the packaging may be damaged...but since you are dealing with amazon direct(not a third party vendor)you can return it if you don't like it when you receive it...IMO this is better than some refurbished unit or someone claiming it's "like new"...right now it says backordered...but you can order it now and it's supposed to be back in stock soon...that is your best option now....it's a nice machine...but you don't need to pay $250 for it.....here it is

So ... are you saying it WAS on sale at Xmas, but not now?
Is there no one else discounting new ones now?
Don't want a used/refurb, but can't wait till Memorial Day either.

I don't know why you would not want a refurbished one. I got a refurbished one in November and it plays and looks brand new. $129. But if you want to pay a lot more for the same thing be my guest.

Yes it was on sale at Christmas and before that as well...I have no idea when it will be on sale again...or if it will be on sale again..why don't you use the amazon warehouse option...in many cases these items aren't even opened when they are marked as Like New...in any event if you don't like the appearance of the unit you can send it back to amazon...it's very simple to do..OR you can pay the current price...there is another option I didn't mention because I'm not sure the seller is credible...I have purchased items from newegg before but this is an marketplace seller who lists products on newegg.. and they have some poor ratings...I wouldn't take a chance on it but you can be the judge...the marketplace seller is Wholesale Connection...and the listing is HERE

In regards to US holidays...Martin Luther King Day is Jan 14 and Washington's Birthday is Feb 19th...before Memorial Day...and to be candid...electronic companies really don't need special occasions to have sales...they are like furniture stores...they can have a sale whenever they want...so those are your options as I see them...some are promising like the amazon deal...and some are risky..like the Wholesale Connection deal...your choice..

The $168 price above is not a bad deal. While many retailers sell it for $150, I jumped a week before Thanksgiving with Crutchfield at $159. Really got to use it more in the last couple weeks and it’s a damn fine little unit. More responsive and behaved than I ever would’ve believed. If it played burned DVD A’s I would declare it nearly perfect. It does actually play burned AVC HD discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The $168 price above is not a bad deal. While many retailers sell it for $150, I jumped a week before Thanksgiving with Crutchfield at $159. Really got to use it more in the last couple weeks and it’s a damn fine little unit. More responsive and behaved than I ever would’ve believed. If it played burned DVD A’s I would declare it nearly perfect. It does actually play burned AVC HD discs.

My only reservation on that deal is the seller...looked at some negative reviews and didn't like what I saw..it it was me I would opt for the amazon warehouse deal...there is nothing to lose..free shipping to you and if you don't like it they will take care of the return shipping....glad to hear it's a nice unit...I'm not a Sony fan...but if it does as much as it claims...that's one heck of a deal at that price point...I'm a Oppo fan...what amazes me about them is they hold a lot of value if you choose to sell your old unit and they are easy to contact on the phone if you have a question...and there aren't too many companies that are that easy to reach

I’m never really keen on giving Sony any of my money, but I took a chance on this one to cover the bases on a secondary system. I have an OPPO player as well and will likely buy another for my main system. The Sony is snappy and simple to operate to get the job done. When you click on the display information key it’s rather similar to my OPPO BDP 93! No-frills but decent build quality. They didn’t build these to sell for $149. I suspect that sale price will return randomly and soon. So when it does, make your move.

I’m never really keen on giving Sony any of my money, but I took a chance on this one to cover the bases on a secondary system. I have an OPPO player as well and will likely buy another for my main system. The Sony is snappy and simple to operate to get the job done. When you click on the display information key it’s rather similar to my OPPO BDP 93! No-frills but decent build quality. They didn’t build these to sell for $149. I suspect that sale price will return randomly and soon. So when it does, make your move.

Sony is offering this player at this price point to try and jump start the sales of 4k displays...they have a vested interest in seeing 4k grow...

Sony is offering this player at this price point to try and jump start the sales of 4k displays...they have a vested interest in seeing 4k grow...

Possibly, but any number of consumers are buying 4K TVs with no knowledge of a 4K disc format.

I’d Agree the jumpstart item is the $150 player and instead of retooling, they repriced the surplus of existing units.

At the same time this holiday season many retailers dumped all the 4K TVs that didn’t have HDR pretty cheap, and not just Sony.

this holiday season many retailers dumped all the 4K TVs that didn’t have HDR pretty cheap

If you think it's silly that buyers are snapping up 4k displays without even knowing there's such a thing as a 4k player, HDR has that beat. It will be years before either HDR system will have any impact on real-world picture quality. There is hardly anything encoded today.

As for newegg, they are one of these retailers playing Hide the Model Number. Can't find it anywhere on the site.

One more thing:

I've learned a hard lesson about discounters:
They may be selling earlier, buggy versions of products.
As in, the ones that don't work so good.
Every model -- especially new ones -- go through revisions, or "revs".
Even the Audionics Space and Image Composer did.
I was "lucky" to get one of the later versions with all the updates.
You wouldn't have wanted the first ones off the line -- trust me.

I bought a Mr Coffee coffeemaker from Amazon when the model was new, and the filter basket clogged up after a few months, rendering it useless. This was no fluke, but a design flaw. They had simply made the drain hole too small. Though they tried to downplay it, the maker's customer service was clearly aware of the problem and sent me a replacement. Same exact model, different rev. No such problem recurred.

I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect these early-rev dogs may be getting dumped at discounters, including Amazon. If true, I'd rather get a newer rev for the higher price and skip the hassle.

Try Best buy Eggplant I picked one up about a month ago and they had a couple of pallets of them, probably discontinued product and they’re blowing them out. No problems so far i think the extended warranty was like 25 bucks for 3 yrs.

Yes it was on sale at Christmas and before that as well...I have no idea when it will be on sale again...or if it will be on sale again..why don't you use the amazon warehouse option...in many cases these items aren't even opened when they are marked as Like New...in any event if you don't like the appearance of the unit you can send it back to amazon...it's very simple to do..OR you can pay the current price...there is another option I didn't mention because I'm not sure the seller is credible...I have purchased items from newegg before but this is an marketplace seller who lists products on newegg.. and they have some poor ratings...I wouldn't take a chance on it but you can be the judge...the marketplace seller is Wholesale Connection...and the listing is HERE

In regards to US holidays...Martin Luther King Day is Jan 14 and Washington's Birthday is Feb 19th...before Memorial Day...and to be candid...electronic companies really don't need special occasions to have sales...they are like furniture stores...they can have a sale whenever they want...so those are your options as I see them...some are promising like the amazon deal...and some are risky..like the Wholesale Connection deal...your choice..

i did a search for Wholesale Connection on resellerrating.com and they are not legitimate:

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Wholesale_Connection

If you think it's silly that buyers are snapping up 4k displays without even knowing there's such a thing as a 4k player, HDR has that beat. It will be years before either HDR system will have any impact on real-world picture quality. There is hardly anything encoded today.

As for newegg, they are one of these retailers playing Hide the Model Number.

I didn’t put up the New Egg link, that was the post before mine, although I have purchased from them many times over the years.

Seven of the 10 4K BD discs I have are HDR encoded.

But it’s irrelevant because people have friends who say “be sure and get one that has HDR” and retailers know that non-HDR sets will be even harder to move next year. It will likely become standard.

I didn’t put up the New Egg link, that was the post before mine, although I have purchased from them many times over the years.

Seven of the 10 4K BD discs I have are HDR encoded.

But it’s irrelevant because people have friends who say “be sure and get one that has HDR” and retailers know that non-HDR sets will be even harder to move next year. It will likely become standard.

From my experience talking to "shoppers" in electronic stores...I would say that 95% of them don't really understand any of these tech terms...and the TV manufacturers are aware of this and use it to their advantage...since LG has been the only company to make OLED TV panels well enough to sell them..the others have adopted the "shell game" marketing strategy...led by one of the all time most deceptive companies on the planet..Samsung...since they failed at OLED...they named their "cough..cough"..technology... QLED..the so called Quantum Dot technology...even Vizio has decided to play this game....naming their sets X-LED...when "Joe 6 pack" goes into an electronics store and sees QLED he thinks it's that new technology with the great black levels...and of course if you go to someplace like Best Buy.... that salesman(who sells tvs on Monday and Dryers on Tuesday)will tell you that is the one you want...

For me I'm only interested in the OLED part...as 4k is only going to be a niche product in the US...like blu ray...

Well...somebody noticed that warehouse deal on amazon and it's gone now:)

This is just a few quick comments on UBP-X800 I've had for two days now. It has a descent build quality and was simple to set up. It is very quiet. I am using it as a digital transport the same as my Oppo 80. Obviously the sound is the same and PQ I can't really comment on as my projector and 19" monitor are limited to 1080p. Start up and loading are very fast. 4K streaming via ethernet is smooth and instant. I am not impressed with the front USB cover and it would be nice to have another USB on the back of the unit. I'm happy for $300 CAD off the shelf.

I just picked up an X800 off the shelf new at Walmart. $198 CAD which is roughly $157 USD.

Now I have to decide if I just get Best Buy to price match with their 30 day guarantee and return the unopened Walmart X800 or pricematch and keep both just in case.

I’m tempted to get an X800 too, just as a spare, at that price.
London Drugs had it for the same price a few months back but no guarantee it will drop that low again

Back