HiRez Poll Garfunkel, Art - BREAKAWAY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Art Garfunkel - BREAKAWAY

• Total voters
Your points are well taken. I guess I was just hoping for a little better fidelity given Richard Perry's other records from that era such as Ringo, and Nilsson Schmilsson, which sounded great.
Those albums were on other labels so maybe it is a Columbia Records artifact.

There are a number of factors in play here. Including the recording studio where the album was made. The recording engineer that worked on the album.
The mastering engineer on the project. The record label and artist's desires on the level, eq and mix of the finished product.

Any of these aspects of the recording process could have changed the mix, mastering and sound of the album as released.

"all i know" (oops wrong Art Garfunkel Quad album! :D ) is i prefer the music and the mix of the lovely old Quad on this Surround SACD (and the Angel Clare SACD too) to so many of the self-proclaimed audiophile offerings (often revealed to have dubious surround content) i've picked up over the years.. but each to his own :) spinning this now (again).. yep, still a ten :woopie

"all i know" (oops wrong Art Garfunkel Quad album! :D ) is i prefer the music and the mix of the lovely old Quad on this Surround SACD (and the Angel Clare SACD too) to so many of the self-proclaimed audiophile offerings (often revealed to have dubious surround content) i've picked up over the years.. but each to his own :) spinning this now (again).. yep, still a ten :woopie

You got that right, Adam. STILL a TEN and only a little bit more [$$$$] than a TENNER! :banana::music(y)(y):)

I'm loving the attention this title is getting. Is this now the most voted on title from Vocalion? :banana:

Angel Clare is getting some free advertising...I just got an email from amazon UK with Angel Clare as a recommended purchase...that's one of the benefits of being on amazon...this will help DV(y)..people outside of forums will see these emails..

At first Couldn't make my mind up to vote 9 or 10. The music and sound quality are great, and the quad mix is very good although not quite a 10, but the overall sound is great. I just had to vote 10. Great album, so glad to have it. Thanks DV.:banana:

Giving it a “9”. Fond memories of this album from back in the day. Hits my soft pop spot nicely. Nice quad mix for sure. They were getting pretty good at it by this time it seems.

Always loved his version of “I Only Have Eyes For You”. Nicky Hopkins on piano and Andrew Gold’s stellar guitar.

“My Little Town” sounds muddier than I remember it as a kid. Hmmm. Definitely kinda sticks out as the odd ball on the album even though I love the song. I think I like it better on Paul’s album.

So great DV is releasing this stuff. Just awesome.

More! More!

I rated Breakaway as an eight. Good recording, good discrete quadraphonic mix, good music. This is my favorite Art Garfunkel album and a fine album for relaxing listening. Thank you Duttton / Vocalion for releasing this enjoyable music.

I could not believe the clarity and beauty of this release. Vocalion are really batting 1.000 in my book!

The content is great, of course. How can you go wrong with Art? That angelic voice, set in those perfect-for-him crystalline arrangements. And the songs are probably the best set, assembled, that he ever recorded. "Disney Girls" is particularly affecting. The only song that doesn't deliver, curiously, is the Paul Simon duet "My Little Town", which sounds somewhat muffled - probably due to being kyped from one of Simon's session sets.

Love it, love it, love it! More please!

I could not believe the clarity and beauty of this release. Vocalion are really batting 1.000 in my book!

The content is great, of course. How can you go wrong with Art? That angelic voice, set in those perfect-for-him crystalline arrangements. And the songs are probably the best set, assembled, that he ever recorded. "Disney Girls" is particularly affecting. The only song that doesn't deliver, curiously, is the Paul Simon duet "My Little Town", which sounds somewhat muffled - probably due to being kyped from one of Simon's session sets.

Love it, love it, love it! More please!
I always thought the song worked better on Paul’s album anyway. And with the quad mix it really stands out as having a different production approach. I thought it was a smart marketing gimmick back then to put it on both albums and release them at the same time (and two songs—one from each album—-on the b-side of the single). But seems a bit out of place now. Although I’m glad to have it as it seems a quad release of “Still Crazy After All These Years” is probably never going to take place. :(

But yes. As far as picking songs to match a non-songwriting singer? A really strong album from start to finish.

Last edited:
Back