Solution to a 192kHz playback problem you probably do not have

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have Denon AVR-4311CI, and almost everything I play goes to it via an HDMI connection (via WASAPI foobar2k), and for some time it's refused to play 192khz content even though it is rated to play it.

At some point long past it *did* play 192kHz input... but at some point I noticed it didn't*. Not a big deal since I have very, very little 192kHz content in my collection (Neil Young, you are an asshole)

After some years of this, via some trial and error, I finally discovered what was 'wrong'. The default setting for "Source Select-->V.Aux (this is the input I use, YMMV)-->Video-->Video Mode" is 'AUTO".

It should be "Movie" to ensure that everything sent to it is assumed to be full bandwidth (1080p).

If your AVR is connected to a 'high def" (>720p) monitor this will not be an issue for 'AUTO'. But mine isn't. Often it there is no monitor at all.

So if for some reason you can't play native 192kHz audio, check your AVR's HDMI settings for whatever input port you are using.

You're welcome! ;>

(*there was an initial manual setup I did long ago that I've forgotten, and between then and now there were at least two firmware updates and a reset.)

I have Denon AVR-4311CI, and almost everything I play goes to it via an HDMI connection (via WASAPI foobar2k), and for some time it's refused to play 192khz content even though it is rated to play it.

At some point long past it *did* play 192kHz input... but at some point I noticed it didn't*. Not a big deal since I have very, very little 192kHz content in my collection (Neil Young, you are an asshole)

After some years of this, via some trial and error, I finally discovered what was 'wrong'. The default setting for "Source Select-->V.Aux (this is the input I use, YMMV)-->Video-->Video Mode" is 'AUTO".

It should be "Movie" to ensure that everything sent to it is assumed to be full bandwidth (1080p).

If your AVR is connected to a 'high def" (>720p) monitor this will not be an issue for 'AUTO'. But mine isn't. Often it there is no monitor at all.

So if for some reason you can't play native 192kHz audio, check your AVR's HDMI settings for whatever input port you are using.

You're welcome! ;>

(*there was an initial manual setup I did long ago that I've forgotten, and between then and now there were at least two firmware updates and a reset.)

Denon will not do 192, and there are few sources anyway. Integra's and Onkyo have WRAT amps. (Wide range amp tech.) they go far beyond human hearing ability, but so do sacd's.
192 hz is only available in stereo 5.1 high res, is unable to go higher than 97.

Denon will not do 192

Mine will. And does. (Look up "AL24 Processing Plus")

and there are few sources anyway. Integra's and Onkyo have WRAT amps. (Wide range amp tech.) they go far beyond human hearing ability, but so do sacd's.
192 hz is only available in stereo 5.1 high res, is unable to go higher than 97.

99.99% of the time 192/24 files are 2 channel. Never 5.1 (though HDMI can handle 8 channels at 192/24 PCM -- or 32 channels if its HDMI 2.0; it's just that no physical consumer delivery disc AFAIK can or has ever offered such). But I do have quad PCM files that the doofus chose to offer only as 192/24 (a quad tape transfer from HDDT, The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann). And that's how its audio properties show in both foobar and in the Denon's signal properties info screen. The Denon refused to accept it, though, until I changed the HDMI properties on the input port I use.

What is actually happening inside the Denon for a given setting re: sample rates -- it's quite possibly resampling if any DSP such as DPLII is used -- I couldn't care less.

Back