Help, maybe my reciever is going bad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's the AVR don't get why it would be especially bad for one disc, but hard to notice on any others.

Rocket Man/Mammy Blues are two 1970s recordings, is the distortion there on *all* tracks on *both* albums? Or just that short moment on one track?

Here's the stereo version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX8EnTgtBZ8

The part you seem to be pinpointing is where the string section plays staccato in low and high registers, starting at 1:40. It's somewhat harsh on the recording itself, especially during the louder, higher half. You might be mistaking that recording quality for distortion in your AVR.

I played the Rocket man half again tonight and it sounded crystal clear, then i played the Mammy blue and for the most part it sounded great, but i did notice a very few times there might be just al little distortion mainly at the start of the next song. I also played the stereo layer and pretty sure it was slightly distorted coming just from the front speakers. Also got the DV Chet Atkins double yesterday, sounds great. Guess i'll just let it go for now and if it is my reciever, it will probably get worse and i should notice it more often. Thanks.

Many years ago I had a Pioneer receiver that developed a crackle in the left rear. I lived with it for a while but eventually the channel just went dead. Problem turned out to be the DAC for that channel and I think I paid about $160 for the part and labor to fix it. Given that it was a $2000 or so unit, the repair was well worth it.

Yeah, my 1,200 Euro Pei-in-ear receiver has had channels not coming up FOR YEARS now, especially the Left Front (sometimes the Right Front too...AND SOMETIMES BOTH!!!!) when you turned it on... it was a bit of a pain cause you had to either turn the volume all the way up to get it (and sometimes that would not even work well) OR turn it off and on (like Roy in "The IT Crowd") and while it was off, turn both knobs left and right very fast...

Bought it in 2008 or 2007...but now my ex has it...I left it back in Madrid...oh well...

I played the Rocket man half again tonight and it sounded crystal clear, then i played the Mammy blue and for the most part it sounded great, but i did notice a very few times there might be just al little distortion mainly at the start of the next song. I also played the stereo layer and pretty sure it was slightly distorted coming just from the front speakers. Also got the DV Chet Atkins double yesterday, sounds great. Guess i'll just let it go for now and if it is my reciever, it will probably get worse and i should notice it more often. Thanks.

and get some Deoxit! amazing stuff! I put some on my rca interconnects and all the red crap came off them. Then I did all my in rca ports on my avr, same thing, all red shit. So I went nuts, turns out corrosion is an issue, it builds up over time, and will interfere with the signal. another issue that is new is the HDMI will go south. They carry small amounts of electric and will burn out. I have seen a few go. I do all my interconnects now even new one's with Deoxit. My son had a sub that the volume pot was shot, all crackle when he adjusted the volume, one shot and after years of noise it cleared right up. Try cleaning the speakers cable ends, and connects both sides, amp and speaker - but consider age also, my old Integra was not worth a fix, but you look and like my son got me a brand new old stock AVR sold for $900.00 new- $100.00 plus shipping! The dam box was never opened. No HDMI but 5.1 analog in, and that is good for my bedroom.

and get some Deoxit! amazing stuff! I put some on my rca interconnects and all the red crap came off them. Then I did all my in rca ports on my avr, same thing, all red shit. So I went nuts, turns out corrosion is an issue, it builds up over time, and will interfere with the signal. another issue that is new is the HDMI will go south. They carry small amounts of electric and will burn out. I have seen a few go. I do all my interconnects now even new one's with Deoxit. My son had a sub that the volume pot was shot, all crackle when he adjusted the volume, one shot and after years of noise it cleared right up. Try cleaning the speakers cable ends, and connects both sides, amp and speaker - but consider age also, my old Integra was not worth a fix, but you look and like my son got me a brand new old stock AVR sold for $900.00 new- $100.00 plus shipping! The dam box was never opened. No HDMI but 5.1 analog in, and that is good for my bedroom.

Deoxit, i'll try it. Thanks.

Hi all, thank you to all that responded. I got some helpful info. But it seems the slight ringing in my ears i have had for a couple of years now, got noticably worse after i wrote this post, and may be the cause of the problem, i can't tell for sure. Going to see the doctor to see if anything can be done about it. Anyway i am getting a little used to it and can still enjoy the music, it just sounds a little distorted with the ringing. As you can probably tell, i am an old fart, still enjoying the quad though. Thanks again.:)

Back