New 2018 ELS/It ain't DVD/Audio, but .......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPR

400 Club - QQ All-Star
New 2018 Acura A-Spec/SH-AWD/Tech
ELS 10 speaker, surround 5.1/DTS
Apple Car Play, & Android
500 watts
Some of my DTS faves; (Gaucho, Hell Freezes Over, etc.), sound damn good
BT Audio, through Amazon, or Spotify, rocks
Still miss my DVD/Audio, in the old 2012/TL, but this new A-Spec, is WAY BETTER overall:)(y)

500 watts
Still miss my DVD/Audio, in the old 2012/TL, but this new A-Spec, is WAY BETTER overall:):thumbsup:

A-Spec/SH-AWD...what model is that...is it an SUV? after looking at their website I see they also offer a system that is like ELS but with Krell designed speakers..

Still cruising in a 2016 TLX w/ELS. Can't beat surround in the car.

Never had the old system with DVD-A. I'd imagine it was probably better, but at least they left some kind of discrete surround in the car. Personally I think Multichannel FLAC would be the way to go.

Still miss my DVD/Audio, in the old 2012/TL, but this new A-Spec, is WAY BETTER overall:)(y)

No need to limit yourself to commercially released DTS discs...there are plenty of ways to convert DVD-A &a Blu-Ray to DTS. SACD is a bit tricker of course...

Still cruising in a 2016 TLX w/ELS. Can't beat surround in the car.

Never had the old system with DVD-A. I'd imagine it was probably better, but at least they left some kind of discrete surround in the car. Personally I think Multichannel FLAC would be the way to go.

No need to limit yourself to commercially released DTS discs...there are plenty of ways to convert DVD-A &a Blu-Ray to DTS. SACD is a bit tricker of course...

Will your vehicle or the 2018 Acura's play multi channel FLAC?

A-Spec/SH-AWD...what model is that...is it an SUV? after looking at their website I see they also offer a system that is like ELS but with Krell designed speakers..
A-Spec is the new Super TLX; same car, but upgraded chassis, seats, steering, electronics, tire, wheels, etc.(y) Blue A-Spec.jpg

Last edited:
A-Spec is the new Super TLX; same car, but upgraded chassis, seats, steering, electronics, tire, wheels, etc.(y)

Yeah...I was looking around the Acura website....it's a package...thanks for the info...I'm kinda in the market...one day I am and the next I'm not...the meridian 825 in the land rover seems perfect....but that website drives me crazy trying to find the right model with the surround system I want...this post got me excited

Yeah...I was looking around the Acura website....it's a package...thanks for the info...I'm kinda in the market...one day I am and the next I'm not...the meridian 825 in the land rover seems perfect....but that website drives me crazy trying to find the right model with the surround system I want...this post got me excited

You won't find anything about DTS capability on the website or at a dealership. They don't even know what features they've got in their radio. I wouldn't be surprised if the DTS decoding was an accidental addition to thto new system.

Only reference you'll see to it is in the car's manual, and when you put a disc a tiny DTS logo appears on the screen.

500 watts

Congrats on the TLX. The A-Spec is a sweet looking car. It's a shame that it does not have some of the stuff in the Advance package. Acura constantly shoots itself in the foot by doing things like this, or not having some of the features in the lower priced Honda similar models. I could never understand that.

I had a 2018 loaner TLX (not A-Spec) but with DTS and I have to admit it does sound better than the DTS in my 17 RDX, but there are some discs that I have that actually do sound good in my car, despite my initial howling about it. I can't put my finger on it, and it's not EQ, because I've tried many things. I am sure that the DTS stereo enhancement is nowhere near as good as the Dolby in the earlier DVD-A systems, I swear a lot of my regular CDs sound mono in the car.

What's even sadder is when you talk to MOST of these car salesman.... and when you mention this problem of actually playing surround material on the sound system of these vehicles...you get that deer in the headlights look...they have no idea what you are talking about..it's especially disappointing when you are looking at luxury vehicles...I mean this is their job...to know everything about these vehicles...and most of them are clueless...and when you try to get the information you need from the car company website...it's even worse...they tell you how many speakers the vehicle has and little else:(

You won't find anything about DTS capability on the website or at a dealership. They don't even know what features they've got in their radio. I wouldn't be surprised if the DTS decoding was an accidental addition to thto new system.

Only reference you'll see to it is in the car's manual, and when you put a disc a tiny DTS logo appears on the screen.

Correct! They are clueless unless an aficionado of dvd -a . Wonder though, if the dvd a with DTS tracks will play?
I grabbed a Hona sampler that came with the new Hondas with dvd a capability- $10.00 and they were happy to sell it! That one has the complete version of "Fly like an eagle" with the effects at start and end. Missing from the 5.1 disc offering

What's even sadder is when you talk to MOST of these car salesman.... and when you mention this problem of actually playing surround material on the sound system of these vehicles...you get that deer in the headlights look...

Last time I went for a test drive I brought a DTS conversion of the Acura DVD-A test disc (though I took out some of the tracks originally included and replaced them with my own choices). The "Winelight" channel check freaked the sales guy out. And you should've seen his face when I told him it was from an Acura-issued DVD.

It's almost comical how little they know...and it's a shame too because they had one of the best and most unique car stereo systems on the market.

That one has the complete version of "Fly like an eagle" with the effects at start and end. Missing from the 5.1 disc offering

The version of "Fly Like An Eagle" on that Acura sampler is sourced from the 30th Anniversary Dolby-only DVD with a new 5.1 mix. It's still 48khz but obviously MLP offers superior sound compared to Dolby Digital. It's completely different from the old DTS-CD that has the quad mix. Both versions are still missing the "Space Intro" though.

Congrats on the TLX. The A-Spec is a sweet looking car. It's a shame that it does not have some of the stuff in the Advance package. Acura constantly shoots itself in the foot by doing things like this, or not having some of the features in the lower priced Honda similar models. I could never understand that.

I had a 2018 loaner TLX (not A-Spec) but with DTS and I have to admit it does sound better than the DTS in my 17 RDX, but there are some discs that I have that actually do sound good in my car, despite my initial howling about it. I can't put my finger on it, and it's not EQ, because I've tried many things. I am sure that the DTS stereo enhancement is nowhere near as good as the Dolby in the earlier DVD-A systems, I swear a lot of my regular CDs sound mono in the car.

Jon; if you drove the new SH-AWD A-Spec, you'd see what an improvement this car is
Transmission, finally shifts properly; the seats, especially the driver's; (there's an electric thigh support), the electric steering, 19" tires, suspension, etc.,
Acura, finally got it right; a HOME RUN!
I've had 7 Acura's, since '98, & this one excels!

I think the only options I have to get 5.1 in my next car is get another Audi (my 2014 A4 is stereo) or get a Jaguar.

Correct! They are clueless unless an aficionado of dvd -a . Wonder though, if the dvd a with DTS tracks will play?
I grabbed a Hona sampler that came with the new Hondas with dvd a capability- $10.00 and they were happy to sell it! That one has the complete version of "Fly like an eagle" with the effects at start and end. Missing from the 5.1 disc offering

IMHO I think NOT; I have several DVD/Audio's, with DTS tracks, like LIVE BOWIE, that do NOT play in the ELS system; wish they would

IMHO I think NOT; I have several DVD/Audio's, with DTS tracks, like LIVE BOWIE, that do NOT play in the ELS system; wish they would

They won't play because the player in the 2nd Gen ELS system is a CD player, not a DVD player, so the DTS track on a DVD never even gets found because it's not a DVD player.

Confess I've never had a car/truck surround system. My working years were spent driving 1.5 hrs one way, and I mostly subsisted on fried chicken and tins of tuna No, wait! I don't play the bass. Besides, I can't even say Egg McMuffin!
I mean I listened mostly to NPR. :coffee:

Back