List of Columbia/Epic Quad Recordings Available As Digital Surround Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
In case you all didn't notice ( ;) ), I have been updating the QQ Columbia Records (and associated labels) Page by noting their modern digital release.

This includes the AF, AP, DV, Rhino, and other releases of these quad classics as SACD's, DVD-Audio's, Audio DVD's, and BluRay Audio Discs.

Check it out and let me know if I missed any, and it's also a great place to see what else might appear from D-V or some other modern label.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

In case you all didn't notice ( ;) ), I have been updating the QQ Columbia Records (and associated labels) Page by noting their modern digital release. This includes the AF, AP, DV, Rhino, and other releases of these quad classics.

Check it out and let me know if I missed any, and it's also a great place to see what else might appear from D-V or some other modern label.

Thank you Jon! Adding that last column showing current reissues with format alongside puts a new spin on this. [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat down a month ago and sorted through all my quad conversion discs, tossing out all of them that had appeared at retail on modern formats. Doors, Alice, Judy, Sly, etc.

I got rid of a pretty good size stack of redundancies. It felt good to clear out some space of course. But it was more exciting to think how far we've come. How many vintage quad mixes have made it to the modern present.

I still get excited about AF Alice Cooper, BOC, L&M Full Sail, and the others on SACD DVD-A and BR.

Isn't it fun to sometimes sit back and enjoy what has come out, and not be concerned too much about what's to come.

In case you all didn't notice ( ;) ), I have been updating the QQ Columbia Records (and associated labels) Page by noting their modern digital release. This includes the AF, AP, DV, Rhino, and other releases of these quad classics.

Some classical issues from D-V and original single-layer Sony issues you may have missed:

MQ-31076 (D-V)
MQ-31798 (D-V)
M-34566 (D-V)
M-35105 (D-V)
M2-34583 (D-V) (partial, Alto Rhapsody only)
MQ-32838 (single-layer Sony release)
MQ-33208 (single-layer Sony release)
MQ-33886 (single-layer Sony release)
MQ-31368 (single-layer Sony release)

Some classical issues from D-V and original single-layer Sony issues you may have missed:

MQ-31076 (D-V)
MQ-31798 (D-V)
M-34566 (D-V)
M-35105 (D-V)
M2-34583 (D-V) (partial, Alto Rhapsody only)
MQ-32838 (single-layer Sony release)
MQ-33208 (single-layer Sony release)
MQ-33886 (single-layer Sony release)
MQ-31368 (single-layer Sony release)

Herbie Hancock - Thrust AF 4.0 SACD 2016

Thanks guys for the info. I added this to the chart. However, I could not find the titles in RED above, so I did not add them.
Can you point me to these titles on the D-V site so I can verify them?

Thanks. That was actually my mistake, I should not have made 31076 red, as I already noted that one.

As for the other, so they combined 2 titles, plus one of another into one? Not sure how to note that.

Yeah, it was sort of a funny choice. They combined Ein Heldenleben (M-34566 - the entire album) with the Alto Rhapsody, which is side 4 of M2-34583. Of course, if DV wants to release the German Requiem seperately, it will now easily fit on a single SACD.

There is a lot of great stuff on that list. I don't understand why they don't release more of it.

I sat down a month ago and sorted through all my quad conversion discs, tossing out all of them that had appeared at retail on modern formats. Doors, Alice, Judy, Sly, etc.

I got rid of a pretty good size stack of redundancies. It felt good to clear out some space of course. But it was more exciting to think how far we've come. How many vintage quad mixes have made it to the modern present.

I still get excited about AF Alice Cooper, BOC, L&M Full Sail, and the others on SACD DVD-A and BR.

Isn't it fun to sometimes sit back and enjoy what has come out, and not be concerned too much about what's to come.[/QUOTE]

That's been the hardest thing for me to do...I'm always "in the hunt"..it seemed like I had more fun looking to buy the latest release that I didn't stop and smell the roses...during my absence from the forum I was able to "unplug" from the quest of finding new discs and actually listen to some I had...but never listened to...and you are spot on...it was fun and you are right to acknowledge how far quadraphonic mixes have come...after all these years being dormant...think about it...quad was short-lived(but prolific) and died in the 70's and here we are decades later getting them released in a modern format...pretty amazing....we can thank the arrival of multi channel sound used in home theatre products in the late 80's and 90's that made surround sound popular again...long before DVD-Audio and SACD...on most days I'm just glad to be here...but every day I'm glad to be around long enough to experience all this audio technology:)

Missing on your list, Birds of Fire was released as a AF SACD. Also you should note that Super Session is a new multichannel mix not the quad.

Also you should note that Super Session is a new multichannel mix not the quad.

Ditto on Aerosmith's "Toys In The Attic" and Bartok's "Concerto For Orchestra".

Shame as those SHOULD have been the quad mixes. Especially the Bartok as it was recorded with quad in mind.

Shame as those SHOULD have been the quad mixes. Especially the Bartok as it was recorded with quad in mind.

You guys are killing me!!! :)

FIXED AND NOTED. Version 2e posted. (You may have to refresh your browser)

OK, what else? :smokin

There are conflicting reports about this one:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...e-Music-Chase-SQ-Encoded-Blu-Spec-Japanese-CD

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16629-Pure-Music-Chase

Don't have a copy myself- can anyone definitively confirm if it's indeed SQ?

UPDATE- Having read the thorough analysis in these threads, it appears that the "Pure Music" disc is not SQ.

However, the Chase S/T CD from "One Way Records" is definitely SQ-encoded. As is the version of it on the Spotify music service (not sure how you would note that though).

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...quot-Tale-Spinnin-quot-on-SQ-Encoded-CD/page2

I actually consider it an open question if any of the Sony Classical MCH SACDs are actual releases of the quad source. I know the Holst and Bartok disks are botched, but I've heard murmurs that some of the other ones are too, even the $$$ E. Power Biggs Bach disc. Fredblue had a post about it here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ND-FUGUES-SACD&p=337923&viewfull=1#post337923

Back