HiRez Poll Vieira, Mike - DISTURBING THE UNIVERSE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Mike Vieira - DISTURBING THE UNIVERSE

• Total voters
for me - satisfying guitar work, great vocals and harmony, a variety of rock moods, meaningful message for me. A+ effort, A+ execution!
:phones(y)

This one's tricky for me to rate. A ton of work clearly went into every aspect in order to create an album worth comparing to major AAA outputs, and I think the results are objectively great. There's a ton of detail and depth here. Mike created a complex and musically accomplished work. Music, sound and mix are top-notch, as is the presentation of the physical product from what I've seen.

The problem I have with it is that I can't warm up to it. The same way I can't get into e.g. most Yes or Steven Wilson albums, or XTC. I listen and I can tell it's great music, I can understand why, but it just doesn't vibe with me.

I won't leave a rating for Disturbing the Universe since, for me personally, it's not a keeper.

That said, I'd say judged by its merits, it deserves something between and 8 and 10, and I urge everybody to check it out.

Disturbing the Universe is a GREAT album and I like the prog rock tracks very much!!! That is the way an album to be released; As Blu-ray/CD and 4 different mixes also as digital downloads! Every band who respect their own music should release it that way!! I gave it a 9!
And a big THANKS for having it at surroundmusic.one! It's a great honor!!!
:D

The problem I have with it is that I can't warm up to it. The same way I can't get into e.g. most Yes or Steven Wilson albums, or XTC.

The Bright Side, first and foremost, thank you for listening and also for supporting the release with a download from Jan's store, IIRC.
Aside from that, I'm curious about the Steven Wilson, Yes and XTC comparisons. Only because 95% of this album was written before I even knew about SW or XTC and I can't play even one bar of Yes music, so I just don't hear the comparison.
I could list dozens of other influences to this record, including Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, STP, Muse, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faith No More and others. Still, what a listener hears in my music is always very interesting to me, so I appreciate your input. I wonder, however, if you heard the whole album? The first and last tracks are the most 'proggy' by far. There are lots of pop tunes too though. Break You, Naomi, Fight for Your Love. Straight up rock/pop.
The album has a LOT of variety. It starts out complex and heavy, travels toward the more mellow and simple, then head's back toward heavy and complex toward the end, in a kind of arc. It's to the point that I wondered if the middle of the album would be a bit boring for some (except 'Skeleton Dance' is one of the most aggressive surround mixes).
Again, thank you for listening and you comments. I hope it isn't bad form for an 'artist' to comment in a poll thread, but your perspective has repeatedly visited my thoughts.

Hey Mike! I listened to it for a week or two in an effort to get to know the album well. I tried repeated listens with e.g. Steven Wilson's albums and XTC too, because I wanted to get a good understanding of them. I find it a bit challenging to put my thoughts into proper words since I'm no musician, despite my lifelong interest in collecting music and several attempts at piano classes.

I'm listening again right now and I wish I could tell you, this section is off rhythmically or the singing here doesn't quite do it, but I honestly don't know. All the ingredients are there, they're all well executed, but put together, it doesn't hit me. It's just, some things you listen to and they immediately hook you, others you want to give a chance and then after repeated listens you decide, it's not for me or I love it. It took me a decade or two of on and off attempts to get into Bob Dylan. I can't pull it off with Yes. I think it's Jon Anderson's singing voice. I know it was why I eventually sold that Best Of Vangelis CD I had for a few years.

Throughout DtU, I always find your singing voice is somehow holding back, as if there should be a moment where it takes off, but then it doesn't. I feel there's a lack in volume (not loudness, but breadth/depth). Then, in the proggier songs, I find that at moments, the rhythm is too incoherent to really flow for me, it's like my experience is abruptly interrupted by unexpected drum beats. That's also keeps me from enjoying bands like Yes or King Crimson. I think they're just too experimental and disruptive for me.

On another level, I don't really get a consistent mood reading from the DtU. You mentioned yourself that the songs vary greatly in tone and style, and I think that throws me off. At the beginning, I get into a Dream Theater/Porcupine Tree mood, but then there's Muse-ish song. As the album progresses, we're in Bon Jovi and early Linkin Park territory, and then there's a string of ballads.

Also, thematically, it's hard to lock onto something here. Your album is deliberately cinematic in many places, designed to evoke imagery and movie clips in the listener's head (or at least it does that in my head). Without having read all the lyrics, and by listening casually and sometimes more deliberately, here are some of the images that come up in my mind:

- Outer space
- Ghosts/spirits
- An alien (?) on a mission to Earth
- Skeletons
- Dancing skeletons, which evoke that scene from Monkey Island 2 for me
- An exotic place called Macina; without looking it up, I picture scenes from Greece where I was on vacation as a kid
- A Prince of Peace, whom I for some reason picture in a "Lawrence of Arabia" setting

First of all, few of the above are things many of us are likely to encounter in real life, which also makes it hard for me to e.g. relate to Ayreon's Universal Migrator albums - but what they have going for them is that they are thematically and tonally very consistent.

I think I can't really decide what DtU is about. A straight-up pop album doesn't usually have the deepest of messages, but prog rock albums tend to have very clear and consistent themes. The likes of "Scenes from a Memory" and "The Human Equation" (Ayreon) tell straight-up stories, "Dark Side of the Moon" is all about insanity and an unfulfilled life. Others vary in subjects, but are very consistent musically. "We can't Dance" has TV preachers, a remorseful hit-and-run driver, railroad workers, social justice, the passing of time, but its music and sound are very consistent.

So yeah, these are some loose thoughts. In the end, I'm one of those people who need to be able to spin a whole album in one go without wanting to skip tracks, and DtU doesn't do that for me, as much as I appreciate and commend it. I think perhaps the bottom line is, it might work better if you took some of the ideas here and turned them into albums of their own? Alternately, perhaps pick a musical style and turn that into an album?

Thanks for being so open to feedback and criticism, and not being offended. I do hope more people will check out Disturbing the Universe, as I said, it's a remarkable effort.

Quick addition: I've listened to two XTC albums for a few times each, and I don't hear any noticeable similarity between their music and Disturbing the Universe. The reason I name-dropped them is not because of any musical similarities, but because of similarities in my experience: I was spinning them repeatedly to try and get into them, but then couldn't (not enough to permanently add them to my collection).

Downloaded the Flac 5.1 yesterday.Needed som new music while I'm waiting for the FM box.:phones
It was a positive surprise.(y)Nice music well played with a good 5.1mix.Well done.:)

Quick addition: I've listened to two XTC albums for a few times each, and I don't hear any noticeable similarity between their music and Disturbing the Universe. The reason I name-dropped them is not because of any musical similarities, but because of similarities in my experience: I was spinning them repeatedly to try and get into them, but then couldn't (not enough to permanently add them to my collection).

Haha - thanks, TBS, for your detailed response! It really helps me understand your point of view better. Yes, I did misunderstand what you meant about SW, XTC & Yes.
I totally agree with your comparison now. Just like those groups, I have put out some of my music in surround. That effort has attracted some listeners who would never have heard of me otherwise. Some of those listeners have quite enjoyed what they found and some not so much! Fair enough. There are efforts from SW, XTC & Yes that don't really work for me. There are some that absolutely do, so I'm glad I've stumbled upon them! Yet, for some listeners, SW, XTC & Yes are just a total miss. I'm sorry that it sounds like DtU is a total miss for you, but you certainly did go above and beyond to give it a shot! I hope my remarks did not make you feel at all challenged or attacked. I simply wanted to understand what you meant. Based on the SW, XTC & Yes thing, I wondered if maybe you had only heard the title track, as it is the most prog-inspired track, besides the last. In that sense, I have tried to encourage listeners, that if one track isn't working to try the next. We did work really hard to ensure there is consistency on this album, somewhat as a whole, but at least track to track. Yet, it is a collection of songs that happened to have usable multitracks from quite a long span of years, so it isn't going to hold together, for some, as well as an album written and recorded all at the same time will.

I have learned, over the years, to not get offended about music - either bands I like or my own. There is no album or song on the face of this Earth that is going to make everybody happy. I have no right to expect that mine would. Quite to the contrary, I'm very grateful and humbled when somebody does like it.

You do mention some themes from the album. I'll briefly touch on those, in case it's interesting.

Macina - a village in Mali, Africa. The song is about how some people can be full of joy, despite having almost nothing in this world - not even health (the dancing skeletons), and how other people can have almost everything and not be happy. The song comes from the book "Dancing Skeletons: Life and Death in West Africa," an anthropological study by Kathy Dettwyler, credited in the liner notes. It's a good read, so I'll plug it here.

Ghosts/spirits/space - a metaphor for restless, inquisitive people - searching for beauty and meaning in this life

The Prince of Peace - a messianic figure, like Joshua, Jesus Christ, the alien from Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land," the reluctant messiah from Richard Bach's "Illusions" and sure, Lawrence of Arabia! The song is simply pleading for mankind to become less violent someday. The song hopes people will follow a Prince of Peace, but you'll notice that line is never finished vocally or lyrically.

Again, thank you, very much for listening and for your remarks! I hope we understand each other better now and that you find plenty of music that does it for you in 2018.

:51banana:

Last edited:
Thanks so much to you, man! I did not feel challenged or attacked at all, and I enjoyed digging a little deeper into my own perception of your album. Happy we have this exchange!

Keep rockin, no matter what :)

Mike, right or wrong - it's hard to not hold an emotional bond with this. We, as QQ members feel it. You were so dedicated to getting this out and many of us were behind you all the way. :)

Honestly though - I'd say, I share some of the sentiment of Bright. Not all by any means, just some. The songs as individuals sometimes don't feel like they belong together. But hey...for crap sake.....I certainly couldn't do better and I know I'd do a lot worse.

The mix and fidelity are great. I love the way it sounds. Vocals sometimes feel restrained to me. You know...like I'm waiting for them to soar and they don't. Good God, it's hard for me to give you feedback like this. I hope it's cool. Again, I can't sing like you do - so who am I to say....

All in all - I think it's a very commendable effort and I have played it for my boys and for my buddy. They are all impressed and they think it's cool that you are a member of this forum that I love and that you found a way to get your music out.

I say, if you can grow a bit....put out another album with a very direct genre and all that. At least for me, would be amazing. Still, keep it up, march on and keep making music. You certainly have some real talent. :banana:

I voted an 8...mostly because of the overall vibe (rock) and the very nice fidelity and mix. Nice work man.

Ok Whhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeere to begin hmmmmmmm and how to put this

Taking into account that of course this is not from a big name artist with big company studios and backing.........

Still, hmmmmmm - Snood not sure how to put this....

Sorry to say, but this is a FLAMING PIECE of phucking................AWESOMENESS!!!! :banana:

There are a couple to a few songs on here that could be big songs for big name groups like say Muse or NIN (hope that hurt Mike feelings)

Fellow QQer Ji eff / Cristale did a Great job with the mixing everythign is very discrete - Snood listen to the 5.1 mix only - there are also 4.0/4.1/2.0 and 5.1 mixes

First song Started out Title song Disturbing the Universe was like man this thing is thin tinny sounds urrrrrgh, got thru 2/3rd of it and finally figured out Snood has his receiver set to TV ummm yeah!

So started it again and yeah much much better sound and instruments, but was not feeling the vibe so much - it was alright

But on 2nd song Break You - Snood was like um wait who wrote this?? This has to be a cover but it not and the song is that good even the alt mix later is great

3rd Song Prince of Peace was fine and music good, lyrics were koo was good

4th Song Like Rain was a nice Slow song and was very likeable

5th Song Naomi - Snood no likey

but then songs 6 thru 11 come on and Snood is like why come not these songs up earlier

call the next 3 the Skeleton trilogy

6th Song Dancing Skeletons Snood at first was like, ummmm another message song? Was like yeah, but then about a quarter of the way in was like into it and it worked ended up being reaaaaaal good

7th Song Skeleton Dance - Shortish but verrrrry kooooo

8th Song Skeletons Under the Cover - Another very good song with some more female vocals/backing

9th Song Bleed - WOW this song is Awwwwwwwwwwwesome - another hit for someone - was checking to see if it was cover again........the other 2 mixes included are good if not better

10th Song - Fight For Your Love - Nice Freaking Rocker of a Song.......possibly another great song for a major act

11th Song - Illusions - This song is odd - There is something there.......get the lyrics and all, Music is good....the repeating female line is koo - Snood no studio engineer or Brian Wilson, but Snood liked the song, but thought there is something to this song that could make it way better with the female main line being something like that of ELOs Time - with the recurring female Robot voice like saying "Is That What you Want?" in Yours Truly 2095 floating in and out of the song - but after the song snood was like man oh man with the right studio stuff wow.

Snood knows there are 2 more songs on here as easter eggs and they are listed.......but those 2 songs, Snoooood can not find lol damn you bagginsssss :howl

Gotta say going in was like ok gonna try to be nice and about 5 songs in was like ok looks like maybe a 7 with Break You being stellar - then every song after was like very good to no way Baggins did this (meaning awesome) pretty much.

Overall gonna give this a 9 - was teetering 8 to 9 but the last 6 songs and the mixes put it over to a 9

Snood do like Mike's more singy higher range then the talky singy parts - Loved Break You, Bleed & Fight For Your Love - and imagination ran wild with what could be donw with Illusions - The Skeleton Trilogy is very gooood

Ji eff Cristale should be commended for the mixing - wow - just imagine what these 2 could be doing in a major studio.

It's one thing to support a fellow QQer in an effort, but when that fellow QQer deserves it on something like this.......yeah, if ya can please support this fellow QQers fine awesome effort. :snoodhug:, please do so in some way :banana:

Snood warned Mike he might not like my review or things in it.....and after listening, again Snood warned him and he said he hoped that I found at least something enjoyable out it.

Thank You Baggins/Mike Vieira - you did yourself and your family, friends and fellow QQers proud buddy :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Kudos to you good sir:worthy

Well, that's just about the snoodliest dang write-up a guy could ever hope for!

When you find the Easter Eggs, I hope you like them! They are quad instrumentals.

Break You and Bleed are personal favorites of mine and others have told me they could be singles too. I'd love to get them "out there" more, but I just don't really know much about the music biz.

Thanks for listening! :banana:

Well, I have to say that over the course of QQ's existence, I have been offered and received a lot of discs from members and others to review or check out. These include the stuff from QuadroSurround in Germany, disc's from US based labels and artists, and some from members or new members. A lot of times I sort of dread having to listen to them, as I feel that should I not like them it would be "not good" to trash them in the forum, yet if I don't say anything, then the sender might feel slighted. As I have gotten older, my brain has been closing with regard to accepting any "new music" - not just from new artists, but from old favorites as well. For example, I'm a huge Neil Young fan, but his last few albums have been a chore to listen to (for me) even once, and they go into the bin and never get played again. I just don't absorb stuff the way I used to.

ANYWAY, Mike sent me his surround album and I set it up to play on my PC while I was doing other things. I had no idea what to expect or what I would think. I honestly was not paying close attention to it at first, but I kept hearing things I liked that got my attention, and then I got grabbed by the surround mix, and the next thing you know I was going "Wow, this is sweet!". I actually reset a few tunes to hear them again. I then made a disc for the car and listened to it with full concentration (while driving, of course) without distraction and was amazed at the quality of the musicmanship, the songwriting, the vocals and presentation, and most of all the surround mix. This is a killer disc. The only other disc I've ever received from having the forum that I liked as much was "Antiquasuria" by the Ian's (still a favorite and totally underappreciated release), and that is a compliment I can assure you.

I am not going into Snood-like detail song by song, but I have to say that Mike did a tremendous job on this effort and all QQ'ers should have this disc in their collection, as it's far better than many of the officially released big-label SACDs and DVD-As of the early 21st Century.

Great job Mike. Good luck in your upcoming travels. Be safe and watch out, don't trust anyone - ANYONE. Come home safe and make more music, surround music!

(y)

... it's far better than many of the officially released big-label SACDs and DVD-As of the early 21st Century.
(y)

Jon, what can be said? This surround album would not exist without QQ. PERIOD.
The BD would not exist without your famous post #8 of the Underdog Story thread.
My hope for this album has been fulfilled. The album has been offered on two QQ Door Prizes! It has a poll thread. It has more than 10 votes!
It has brought enjoyment to those I care about. That is more than this guy could ever ask for. Thanks for all the support, QQ. As always, happy listening...

I was one (won) of the winners of a free CD/Blu-ray of Disturbing the Universe. Of the bat, I could tell that Mike put alot of time into this. Everything from the songs - both individually and thematically - and the use of CD text, several surround mixes (4.0 and 5.1), bonus tracks, and overall packaging. A very well thought out collection of songs that resonate musically, lyrically, and emotionally.
Thanks so much for a wonderful product!

I've really been enjoying this! The songs are well written and many of them have melodies that roll around in your head for hours.

The fidelity is very good for an independent release, and the mix is stellar. Congrats to all involved! You should be very proud of the final product!

I have only listen in stereo and 5.1. I haven't tried 4.1 and 4.0 yet. Has anyone done a comparison? Preference?

Hey QQ family,
I'm not sure how often I'll be able to check in on QQ, for the next year, so I wanted to say thank you again.
Thanks to everyone who has given the album a listen.
Thanks to everyone who has voted and commented. Everyone who does has a chance to make a huge difference in the life of this album. Without label support or major marketing, your word of mouth is very important.

Those of you who were supportive or encouraging early on might find yourself on the credits and thanks page of the Blu-ray, so be sure to check that out.

Along those lines, there is bonus content on the 2.0 page, and the credits and the essay pages. I hope you find them all!

Hey QQ family,
I'm not sure how often I'll be able to check in on QQ, for the next year, so I wanted to say thank you again.
Thanks to everyone who has given the album a listen.
Thanks to everyone who has voted and commented. Everyone who does has a chance to make a huge difference in the life of this album. Without label support or major marketing, your word of mouth is very important.

Those of you who were supportive or encouraging early on might find yourself on the credits and thanks page of the Blu-ray, so be sure to check that out.

Along those lines, there is bonus content on the 2.0 page, and the credits and the essay pages. I hope you find them all!

Best of luck and stay safe, Mike.

Since we live in a VERY disturbed Universe, maybe you should contemplate a sequel, EB!:yikes

I'm going to post purchase info here for three reasons. I hope it's not taken as being in poor taste.
1) The album isn't in typical stores, so might not be very accessible for those interested and also might be "out of sight/out of mind."
2) I think the last reference to the storefront is back in other threads and I can't imagine QQers digging through multiple threads.
3) I have gotten inquiries asking about CD/BD purchase and I can't always respond in a timely way.

Anyway, if you've read this far in this thread and are interested in purchasing the CD/BD set, here is the link:

https://mike-vieira.bandcamp.com/album/disturbing-the-universe

FWIW, I am very happy with how the album has sold, and been appreciated. If no furthers copies sell, I'm good (though I'd love to write a check to charity and we're not quite there). I just want those that want it to get it.
There were about 30 or 40 responses to the QQ Door Prize threads. I know there is a difference between wanting an album for free (or to just win something) and wanting it enough to pay for it, so I understand that the 30 or 40 responses don't necessarily represent likely buyers. Still, there are around 20 copies left, so if you are interested, grab one sooner rather than later! I do not believe there will be any further runs.

Last I looked, DtU was near a solid "9" rating in the polls. That's pretty astounding, considering the album was made entirely without label support. So, thanks for the votes and the love, QQ!

--Baggy

Back