2019 Acura RDX - USB 5.1? VERIFIED!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's interesting here is that they chose a 2004 5.1 recording that was NOT mixed by Elliot Scheiner! That's pretty strange.

https://www.bonnieraitt.com/discography/liner-notes-nick-time-dvd

And they are using the term 'DVD-A' which was pretty much kaput over the last few years. It sure will be interesting to find out just what this audio system will play and how it will work. Somehow I think we'll have to wait quite a while as most (normal) people want to know about the car, not the audio system! :confused:

I see the "music library" symbol on that screen and I wouldn't be surprised if they are showing people that they can play their stored music but I have a feeling it won't be hi rez when you hear it:howl

A few more details on the ELS system in the 2019 RDX came out last week, courtesy of CNET, and their interview with the lead RDX engineer, Stephen Fry. The system will have 16 speakers and 710 watts of power. The speakers will also be dispersed throughout the headliner, which is actually a bit concerning when it comes to providing discrete 5.1 playback. Those screen shots of playing a DVD-A track via a USB folder are either a cruel joke by someone on their engineering staff, or something very promising. Of all tracks to show on a marketing piece, why show a DVD-A 5.1 "rip" of a track that was released 10 years ago on Acura's DVD-Audio Demonstration disc?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acura-rdxs-chief-engineer-breaks-down-whats-new-and-hot-for-us/

A few more details on the ELS system in the 2019 RDX came out last week, courtesy of CNET, and their interview with the lead RDX engineer, Stephen Fry. The system will have 16 speakers and 710 watts of power. The speakers will also be dispersed throughout the headliner, which is actually a bit concerning when it comes to providing discrete 5.1 playback. Those screen shots of playing a DVD-A track via a USB folder are either a cruel joke by someone on their engineering staff, or something very promising. Of all tracks to show on a marketing piece, why show a DVD-A 5.1 "rip" of a track that was released 10 years ago on Acura's DVD-Audio Demonstration disc?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acura-rdxs-chief-engineer-breaks-down-whats-new-and-hot-for-us/

WOW,WOW,WOW, maybe I can buy one of these used in 2022 or later when people do lease returns.

Did any of you listen to the engineer explain the car as go to 08:35 of explanation and they start talking about the audio and they start explaining front back speakers and then 4 speakers in the roof as well in this vehicle so seems like this could be ATMOS like, very cool in deed.

WOW,WOW,WOW, maybe I can buy one of these used in 2022 or later when people do lease returns.

Did any of you listen to the engineer explain the car as go to 08:35 of explanation and they start talking about the audio and they start explaining front back speakers and then 4 speakers in the roof as well in this vehicle so seems like this could be ATMOS like, very cool in deed.

The trouble with most car audio is that they are willing to give you a lot speakers and amps...BUT a lot of these systems aren't even surround...an example would be the 34 speaker Bose Panaray Audio system available in some Cadillacs...with all those speakers..it is only a 2 channel signal being simulated in 12 channels...the idea being to flood the cabin with sound...that's their idea of surround sound...and if you play hi rez audio it's downsampled..

ELS responded to my comment on Facebook and confirmed that discrete multichannel is not a feature of the new audio system.
1FD6A188-54A1-4AF1-9D64-1AAEE1F2CF6D.jpg

Thanks for checking that out. I guess that saves me a lot of cash (and a lot of wife-grief to boot!) ;)

Bummer, it got my hopes up, briefly.
I continue to cherish what Acura did.

So what are the last years with DVD-A for ....
RDX 2015?
TSX 2015?
TL 2014?
RL 2014?
MDX 2013?

is this right?

RDX 2015?
TSX 2015?
TL 2014?
RL 2014?
MDX 2013?

is this right?

For the RDX, the last model to include DVD-Audio playback was 2015 (at least in Mexico), i performed an exhausting investigation on that to buy me an RDX (2014) one year ago. Excellent car by the way.

RDX 2015?
TSX 2015?
TL 2014?
RL 2014?
MDX 2013?

is this right?

For the MDX, 2013 was the last year to support DVD-A. I was hopeful the 2019 RDX was going surprise us with support for 5.1 discrete, USB playback (based on the marketing photos of the ELS screen), but instead, they are going to pump "stereo" through 16 speakers placed throughout the cabin. Until I have an opportunity to take one for a test drive and listen, I'll reserve comment and continue to enjoy DVD-A playback in my 2013 MDX.

When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town
Down around San Antone
And the folks are risin' for another day
'Round about their homes
The people of the town are strange
And they're proud of where they came
Well, you're talkin' 'bout China Grove
Oh, China Grove

I still don't get why these new Acura´s left behind DVD-Audio playability, Elliot Scheiner should not be involved any more in the design of these units........ELS is not providing any clear advantages over any other premium cars in the market today. nowadays, ELS should be the acronym to "Equipped with Less Services".

I still don't get why these new Acura´s left behind DVD-Audio playability, Elliot Scheiner should not be involved any more in the design of these units........ELS is not providing any clear advantages over any other premium cars in the market today. nowadays, ELS should be the acronym to "Equipped with Less Services".

I honestly don't think he's "involved" with the more recent audio systems...I would guess he just has a contract with Acura that allows them to use his name and he gets a fee for it...

So much for Elliot being a big surround supporter. That's why I put SW way above him. He had the DVD-A in these cars with his name on them, he had the opportunity to insist that the newer Acura's continued to play the discs he produced, and then here in the final product for the next generation cars they have given up on discrete multichannel altogether when all it required was the electronics to play back a .flac file from a USB stick.

Missed opportunity and a very big letdown by ELS. And to add salt to the wound, why post those pictures of the audio screen showing DVD-A 5.1 Audio and a title that was a 5.1 DVD-Audio track?

:mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:

WTFACURA.jpg

Salt meets would; inadvertently rubbing it in our faces. Seduced and abandoned in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much for Elliot being a big surround supporter. That's why I put SW way above him. He had the DVD-A in these cars with his name on them, he had the opportunity to insist that the newer Acura's continued to play the discs he produced, and then here in the final product for the next generation cars they have given up on discrete multichannel altogether when all it required was the electronics to play back a .flac file from a USB stick.

It probably crushed him when DVD-A failed and Acura pulled it...all that mixing and promoting work for nothing. I've gone back and read some old interviews and you can really see how enthusiastic he was at one point in time. But yeah, you're right he could've pushed a little harder. And that USB thing in the video really was a slap in the face to us fans.

It's gonna be tough when the TLX lease ends in a year and a half...

Regardless of dvda’s “demise” (letting trendy marketing types skewer the vehicle product vision), its a slap in the face to Acura owners to trade up past a certain point. “Leave your treasured discs here, you won’t be needed those. Good grief, support your customers’ libraries and make the DVDA logo microscopic or invisible! What did they save per vehicle to drop DVDA Support, ten bucks?

If they were truly who I thought they would have quietly supported current customers and also added a Blu Ray capable drive along with MCH FLAC usb support to cover the options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed opportunity and a very big letdown by ELS. And to add salt to the wound, why post those pictures of the audio screen showing DVD-A 5.1 Audio and a title that was a 5.1 DVD-Audio track?

:mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:(n):mad:

View attachment 32102

C'mon Jon...you have no way of knowing what his contract requirements are...so saying he could have insisted on discs being played is WAY beyond speculation...and frankly going to a major company and trying to make a case for a disc based audio system in 2018 would be an uphill battle...Acura might not be the most astute company when it comes to audio...but even Stevie Wonder could see that discs are a dying format..I'm surprised you have developed this "what have you done for me lately" stance with ES..and as much as your observation about SW being "way above him"...lets look at both of them...in 1983 when SW started..ES had already established himself..and he did something in 1985 that SW hasn't done...he married an actress and started a family...contrasting the lifestyle of SW and his admission that he has given up everything for his music career...no family and those social elements that most of us enjoy...it's a good thing that SW is great at what he does..because that is all he has done...and if we would look at the measurable elements of the 2 ..SW has 4 grammy nominations...no wins..ES 25 Grammy nominations..8 wins..and one of those wins was a head to head matchup with SW..I could go on and on with the awards ES has...that SW doesn't have

As far as audio systems..where is SW's ?...it's only natural for ES to not be as active as SW in recent years..he's 70 years old and 20 years older than SW...if I had to choose between being either one...it would be ES in a landslide...he accomplished all those things while still having a "life" and contributing to society with more than music...

So what was the last year of Acura models that could play DTSCDs in 5.1 surround? Was it the 2017 models or the 2018 models?
My parents have a 2017 RDX that still plays DTSCDs.
On the other hand, I have a 2014 ILX that still plays DVDAs and DTSCDs. So was 2014 the last year that the Acuras could play DVD-Audio discs?
All I know is that with recent developments, I'm going to hang on to my 2014 ILX as long as I can!

:)

C'mon Jon...you have no way of knowing what his contract requirements are...so saying he could have insisted on discs being played is WAY beyond speculation...and frankly going to a major company and trying to make a case for a disc based audio system in 2018 would be an uphill battle...Acura might not be the most astute company when it comes to audio...but even Stevie Wonder could see that discs are a dying format..I'm surprised you have developed this "what have you done for me lately" stance with ES..and as much as your observation about SW being "way above him"...lets look at both of them...in 1983 when SW started..ES had already established himself..and he did something in 1985 that SW hasn't done...he married an actress and started a family...contrasting the lifestyle of SW and his admission that he has given up everything for his music career...no family and those social elements that most of us enjoy...it's a good thing that SW is great at what he does..because that is all he has done...and if we would look at the measurable elements of the 2 ..SW has 4 grammy nominations...no wins..ES 25 Grammy nominations..8 wins..and one of those wins was a head to head matchup with SW..I could go on and on with the awards ES has...that SW doesn't have

As far as audio systems..where is SW's ?...it's only natural for ES to not be as active as SW in recent years..he's 70 years old and 20 years older than SW...if I had to choose between being either one...it would be ES in a landslide...he accomplished all those things while still having a "life" and contributing to society with more than music...

I still call BULLSHIT because his name is on the machine, and he is the surround producer who spent a lot of cred touting the DVD-A surround sound in the Acura ELS system. SW has no Grammy noms because he does not play the Hollywood game and has not been around the mixing/producing industry for decades. I am not suggesting he fight to include DVD-A, I am suggesting that he should have fought to do 5.1 USB flac like his advertising shown above, and other manufacturers offer.

SW has created more surround sound from NOTHING, surround discs that would NEVER HAD APPEARED if not for him. ES has done very little notable in the past decade. To me SW > ES. My opinion, it doesn't have to be yours.

And as for my "What have you done for me lately" attitude, I have been a paying customer of Acura for 20 years, purchasing 7 vehicles, 6 with surround systems in them. My $$ gives me the cred to say "What have you done for me lately."

No Brag, Just Fact!

Back