2019 Acura RDX - USB 5.1? VERIFIED!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'll get to my local dealer sometime soon and will try and run tests on all the Meridian Surround Systems they have in stock. (They probably think I'm just a tyre kicker, long hair, 80s mo' and in my retirement summer outfit - shorts, sandals and T-shirt)

Can you please confirm whether the Meridian Signature System could 'see' your flac files, but not play them in surround? Or just not play them at all? Did you try a range of FLAC sample/bit depths?

According to the website..you won't have to test the entry level Meridian...the one rated at 380 watts as it's listed as just a "sound system"...not a surround system...the other models are listed as "surround" systems...and the one you tested is the 825 watt system(when this one is in the convertible model it's rated at 660 watts)...and the MONDO surround system with 29 speakers and 1700 watts on the top of the line models..

One question, if I burn a DVD with DTS-CD files, will the acura rdx play them? or just in a CD disc?

If you try to burn DTS CD files (16/44.1) onto Dvda (24/48 or 24/88 or 24/96 expected) as they are, you will not have a playable disc. Just make a DTS CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you try to burn DTS CD files (16/44.1) onto Dvda (24/48 or 24/88 or 24/96 expected) as they are, you will not have a playable disc. Just make a DTS CD.

Yep.

If you make ANY kind of alteration (container type, sample rate, volume, etc) to the 44/16 wav file it'll destroy the embedded DTS stream and you'll get white noise.

Yep.

If you make ANY kind of alteration (container type, sample rate, volume, etc) to the 44/16 wav file it'll destroy the embedded DTS stream and you'll get white noise.

“Unrecognized format” disc ejects.

Don’t be intimidated and miss out. Besides the Acura TL I have a Pioneer DVDA deck (dvdv too which Acura can’t play) single DIN with motorized screen in a 1988 Civic. $250

I'm not planning on buying a new car so I don't even know why I read this thread but I did and this is the post that most intrigued me. The whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking to myself, "Why don't they just get aftermarket players?"
I personally don't have a nice sound system in my car (I just listen to NPR and audiobooks when I drive), so I stick to home theatre for my surround hobby.. but about 10 years ago I had a 2005 Subaru WRX with an aftermarket Sony SACD player

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mex-dv2000/review/

and I'm sure the aftermarket radios are much nicer nowadays. I doubt any of them support SACD but I'm sure there are a few that do DVD-Audio and maybe even Blu-ray Audio. Do they not support multichannel FLAC over USB as well? If so, that would be a potential solution to everyone's problems here..

...I'm sure there are a few that do DVD-Audio and maybe even Blu-ray Audio. Do they not support multichannel FLAC over USB as well? If so, that would be a potential solution to everyone's problems here..

You could retrofit an aftermarket radio on most vehicles up until about 10 years ago, but with each passing year it gets more and more difficult to replace the radio. The radios today are integrated with cockpit controller, telematics, smart antenna, driver assistance and autostar emergency assistance (among other computerized controllers.) I think the best we can hope for these days is some kind of aftermarket auxiliary unit that does multi-channel FLAC or other digital standard and could be plugged into the auxiliary input on an existing system in a new car. Of course this would require the system in the new car supports multi-channel to start with.

This is the main reason I drive a 15 year old vehicle and why I continue to scan the classifieds for low mileage used vehicles.

You could retrofit an aftermarket radio on most vehicles up until about 10 years ago, but with each passing year it gets more and more difficult to replace the radio. The radios today are integrated with cockpit controller, telematics, smart antenna, driver assistance and autostar emergency assistance (among other computerized controllers.) I think the best we can hope for these days is some kind of aftermarket auxiliary unit that does multi-channel FLAC or other digital standard and could be plugged into the auxiliary input on an existing system in a new car. Of course this would require the system in the new car supports multi-channel to start with.

This is the main reason I drive a 15 year old vehicle and why I continue to scan the classifieds for low mileage used vehicles.

that makes sense.. what a bummer :(

The easiest way is probably with a smart phone..but that would require a usb port that could handle it..but even the speakers are wired into other functions..like voice controlled navigation and other smart features..

Thanks. I'll get to my local dealer sometime soon and will try and run tests on all the Meridian Surround Systems they have in stock. (They probably think I'm just a tyre kicker, long hair, 80s mo' and in my retirement summer outfit - shorts, sandals and T-shirt)

Can you please confirm whether the Meridian Signature System could 'see' your flac files, but not play them in surround? Or just not play them at all? Did you try a range of FLAC sample/bit depths?

The head unit was unable to "see" the flac files at all from the USB. I only loaded 5.1 FLACS (24/96) on the USB. Upon reading the Meridian manual on-line, it specifically states it supports FLAC from the USB for ALL of the Meridian systems, 1700W, 835W and 380W in the Range Rover. I was not able to get it to work, and I can most definitely say it only played the DVD-A with DD. Perhaps you will have better luck.

I am imagining a Craig Bluetooth .flac file player, shaped like an 8-Track car machine, with a simulated 8-Track Cartridge that accepted your USB Stick which, when placed in the player cartridge slot, would transfer HiRez 5.1 .flac files to an acceptable car audio system.

For an extra fee, this unit could simulate a retro feel by fading out songs in mid-play, inserting a jarring clicking sound, then fading back into the song at 16 minute intervals. Another option, the "bump a track" option, would be connected to the vehicles shock absorbers so that upon impacting a pot hole or curb, the song being played would be ended and a different tune would instead be heard in mid-song.

They are still working on a feature that would eject miles of unspooled material that could be easily tossed out of a moving car window to become road side debris that would flap poetically in the wind as other cars passed by.

These are the things one might wish for these days in the matter of surround sound in the car! :mad:@:

The head unit was unable to "see" the flac files at all from the USB. I only loaded 5.1 FLACS (24/96) on the USB. Upon reading the Meridian manual on-line, it specifically states it supports FLAC from the USB for ALL of the Meridian systems, 1700W, 835W and 380W in the Range Rover. I was not able to get it to work, and I can most definitely say it only played the DVD-A with DD. Perhaps you will have better luck.

The fact that is says it will accept FLAC is a big deal... on the website the entry level 380 W model is listed as merely a "sound" system...the 835W is the only one with the word "surround" in the title..and the 1700 W model is described as Signature Sound System...if you scroll down a little you will see the inside of the vehicle and speaker placement...and right below that you will have the 3 choices I mentioned...just click on each and you can see the speaker placement for each one..the 380w "sound" system clearly is a stereo setup.. HERE

I am imagining a Craig Bluetooth .flac file player, shaped like an 8-Track car machine, with a simulated 8-Track Cartridge that accepted your USB Stick which, when placed in the player cartridge slot, would transfer HiRez 5.1 .flac files to an acceptable car audio system.

For an extra fee, this unit could simulate a retro feel by fading out songs in mid-play, inserting a jarring clicking sound, then fading back into the song at 16 minute intervals. Another option, the "bump a track" option, would be connected to the vehicles shock absorbers so that upon impacting a pot hole or curb, the song being played would be ended and a different tune would instead be heard in mid-song.

They are still working on a feature that would eject miles of unspooled material that could be easily tossed out of a moving car window to become road side debris that would flap poetically in the wind as other cars passed by.

These are the things one might wish for these days in the matter of surround sound in the car! :mad:@:

:ugham:..I was in my local Toyota dealer and was curious what they used for audio in their cars...so I looked at the top of the line Avalon...after I recovered from looking at the MASSIVE grille...I looked at the sticker and noticed it had JBL speakers..always a favorite of mine..it had a disc slot also...but that was where the good vibe died..I picked out the most experienced salesperson on the floor and asked it was a surround setup...he looked up at the ceiling for inspiration and then confessed that he didn't know...asked if the USB could play hi rez music...totally blank expression this time..not looking at the sky for answers either....and most distressing...ole "Rob" didn't offer to inquire about it...because of course he was the "top dog" in the dealership..and all the others looked to Rob for advice...so I left..

I read somewhere the USB drive needs to formatted as FAT32 (extFAT). If your drive is formatted as NTFS that could be the reason files were not visible by the system.

I dropped in yesterday with a 128GB stick and about 40 odd albums (all tagged) and the Meridian Surround System saw them all and could show them by Artist/Album or all by Song Title - a random selection played ok although there was a very slight cut-off at beginning of each new track selected.

I saw the DTS and Dolby Logos on the user interface and will visit again today with a DVD-A, DTS-CD and Audio-DVD to try. DVD-A would be a nice surprise even though Meridian has their name on every disc...

I read somewhere the USB drive needs to formatted as FAT32 (extFAT). If your drive is formatted as NTFS that could be the reason files were not visible by the system.

I dropped in yesterday with a 128GB stick and about 40 odd albums (all tagged) and the Meridian Surround System saw them all and could show them by Artist/Album or all by Song Title - a random selection played ok although there was a very slight cut-off at beginning of each new track selected.

I saw the DTS and Dolby Logos on the user interface and will visit again today with a DVD-A, DTS-CD and Audio-DVD to try. DVD-A would be a nice surprise even though Meridian has their name on every disc...

Thanks for the tip on the FAT32; that worked! I reformatted my USB drive to FAT32, loaded 20 of my favorite 5.1 FLAC files and they played beautifully on the Meridian Signature Sound System in the Range Rover. All the album artwork and associated metadata was displayed, as well. I had the same issue with a few of the tracks getting cutoff at the beginning (but not all of the tracks). :music

Thanks for the tip on the FAT32; that worked! I reformatted my USB drive to FAT32, loaded 20 of my favorite 5.1 FLAC files and they played beautifully on the Meridian Signature Sound System in the Range Rover. All the album artwork and associated metadata was displayed, as well. I had the same issue with a few of the tracks getting cutoff at the beginning (but not all of the tracks). :music

Well now that you were able play your own music on the Meridian...how did it sound?..How does it compare with your Acura?

I am holding onto a glimmer of hope that the information I received from the ELS Studio folks via Facebook is inaccurate related to the new ELS Studio 3D audio system in the 2019 RDX.

Over at Temple Of VTEC, which is a Honda/Acura enthusiast website, the guy who runs it (Jeff) posted the following statement:
"It supports multichannel audio playback from USB. I don't yet have the full details of WHICH formats are supported."

This isn't a typical Honda/Acura fanboy website. It is legit and these guys get press credentials for the auto shows, etc. Fingers crossed!

Well now that you were able play your own music on the Meridian...how did it sound?..How does it compare with your Acura?

My friend has the 2017 Range Rover with the Long Wheel Base (LWB) and the 1,700 Watt, 29-speaker Meridian Signature speaker system. It's hard to compare against my Acura MDX because the Range Rover is so huge inside, has more than twice as many speakers, and a lot more power. I had to crank the volume up quite a bit to get the full effect of separation, but it did sound pretty amazing. It probably sounds even better for the passengers in the second row seating (I didn't check). What's promising is that the 5.1 FLAC playback through USB is also being made for their less expensive vehicles, too.

Just received an interesting reply to my FB message to Acura's "ELS Studio Premium Audio" page. I've been messaging with them for a month trying to get clarification on "what" the new system in the 2019 RDX will play, and they confirmed the following today: "Hi John. The system plays 5.1 WAV 24 bit / 48 kHz discrete surround sound. We haven't checked 5.1 FLAC yet, but it does play 2.0 FLAC. The ELS Studio 3D system is truly amazing, hope you can hear it soon!"
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.51.36 PM.png

Back