OPPO UDP-203 Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So I've finally reached the breaking point with my Pioneer Elite (it's been nothing but trouble.) And it seems like the OPPO is the manufacturer of choice in these parts. So my question to those of you in the know is, does the UDP-203 do all the surround formats? On the website I see it says it plays DVD-A & SACD. I'm assuming it'll play the old DTS CDs and the newer blu-ray audios plus ATMOS. How about multi-channel .flac files? I don't have a great TV so I'm not as concerned about picture quality. Are there any issues with the 203 that I should know about before purchasing? Oh, and by any chance is it region-free? Lastly, buying direct from OPPO, it's $549. Is that the best route to purchase from?

Thanks!

:confused:

Does the UDP-203 do all the surround formats? On the website I see it says it plays DVD-A & SACD. I'm assuming it'll play the old DTS CDs and the newer blu-ray audios plus ATMOS.

Yes! The onboard DTS decoder will tackle DTS CDs just like it will read the DTS layer from DVD-Vs. The only thing that the 203 does not do is allow you to extract the iso file from SACDs. Everything else will be played, even DSD 64 files purchased downloads from various online digital music stores just like it will read other Mono, Stereo or Multichannel file formats. Atmos is covered on Oppo's site:

Advanced Audio Formats
With internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and bitstream output for object-based immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the UDP-203 delivers great sound for both movie soundtracks and music.

On top of a dedicated Audio HDMI output, the unit does also feature Analog output for a 7.1 set-up, so you will easily be able to enjoy the current Atmos releases in no time.

Oh, and by any chance is it region-free?

The unit does not come out of the box with a Region Free mod, but third party companies may offer that mod so you may want to look into it. I bypass this by ripping all my DVDs and Blu-Rays into mkv files which play flawlessly on the Oppo units.

I'm sure others will add their comments. If I'm not mistaken, fellow member Bill Mac owns this model so maybe he'll chime in. I hope this helps. I believe you will be more than happy with your purchase.

So I've finally reached the breaking point with my Pioneer Elite (it's been nothing but trouble.) And it seems like the OPPO is the manufacturer of choice in these parts. So my question to those of you in the know is, does the UDP-203 do all the surround formats? On the website I see it says it plays DVD-A & SACD. I'm assuming it'll play the old DTS CDs and the newer blu-ray audios plus ATMOS. How about multi-channel .flac files?

Yes, it handles Multichannel FLAC and Multichannel DSD 64 files.

Oppo has the best CS ever! They will supply you with detailed information, I have had them respond on a holiday. Just e mail or call them. You will not be disappointed.

Hi there!
Maybe this is not the place but I’ll throw the question: I’m thinking to upgrade my oppo BDP-95 and the oppo BDP-203 seems to be the one. I stopped to use the analogue outputs in the 95 because, to my ears, the HDMI bus delivers a better sound (higher volume and more detail perceived), so I don’t think I’ll step back. Given that, in terms of audio, does the oppo 203 will deliver a better digital signal than my 95? As far as I understand, either of them will send the same zeros and ones (beat stream signal) to the A/V Receiver, so no improve in sound would be expected right ? I’m not sure the same applies to the video signal which I think is decoded before it’s sent.

By the way, one disadvantage of this new oppo model is that HDCD is not supported any more (n)

Thanks for your comments!

So I've finally reached the breaking point with my Pioneer Elite (it's been nothing but trouble.) And it seems like the OPPO is the manufacturer of choice in these parts. So my question to those of you in the know is, does the UDP-203 do all the surround formats? On the website I see it says it plays DVD-A & SACD. I'm assuming it'll play the old DTS CDs and the newer blu-ray audios plus ATMOS. How about multi-channel .flac files? I don't have a great TV so I'm not as concerned about picture quality. Are there any issues with the 203 that I should know about before purchasing? Oh, and by any chance is it region-free? Lastly, buying direct from OPPO, it's $549. Is that the best route to purchase from?

Thanks!

:confused:

I too had a Pioneer Elite...and the Oppo was a BIG step forward for me...just the build quality alone is noticeable right away...and like others have said...if you contact Oppo you will get a timely and HELPFUL response...

Hi there!
Maybe this is not the place but I’ll throw the question: I’m thinking to upgrade my oppo BDP-95 and the oppo BDP-203 seems to be the one. I stopped to use the analogue outputs in the 95 because, to my ears, the HDMI bus delivers a better sound (higher volume and more detail perceived), so I don’t think I’ll step back. Given that, in terms of audio, does the oppo 203 will deliver a better digital signal than my 95? As far as I understand, either of them will send the same zeros and ones (beat stream signal) to the A/V Receiver, so no improve in sound would be expected right ? I’m not sure the same applies to the video signal which I think is decoded before it’s sent.

By the way, one disadvantage of this new oppo model is that HDCD is not supported any more (n)

Thanks for your comments!

www.oppodigital.com

I too had a Pioneer Elite...and the Oppo was a BIG step forward for me...just the build quality alone is noticeable right away...and like others have said...if you contact Oppo you will get a timely and HELPFUL response...

Back in the late 90's (or early 2000's) I bought a Pioneer Elite DVD player. At the time it was the only player that I could find that played both DVD-A and SACD. It was a very sturdy, high-quality machine that served me very well. I resisted blu-ray for the longest time, but when XTC started their series I knew I would have to break down and go blu. Unfortunately, I didn't do a lot of research. I noticed that Pioneer had started making blu-ray players in their Elite series. I naively assumed that the blu-ray players would be of the same quality as my old DVD machine. I quickly discovered that was no longer the case. The blu-ray player was by comparison a pretty flimsy machine. It was a constant source of problems. I'm glad to be finally replacing it and joining the Oppo club!

Back in the late 90's (or early 2000's) I bought a Pioneer Elite DVD player. At the time it was the only player that I could find that played both DVD-A and SACD. It was a very sturdy, high-quality machine that served me very well. I resisted blu-ray for the longest time, but when XTC started their series I knew I would have to break down and go blu. Unfortunately, I didn't do a lot of research. I noticed that Pioneer had started making blu-ray players in their Elite series. I naively assumed that the blu-ray players would be of the same quality as my old DVD machine. I quickly discovered that was no longer the case. The blu-ray player was by comparison a pretty flimsy machine. It was a constant source of problems. I'm glad to be finally replacing it and joining the Oppo club!

The sad reality is that the Elite designation in the Pioneer lineup USED to be an indicator of quality...but when Pioneer started to lose market shares they "pimped" the Elite title in their lower end machines...some of those Pioneer Elite blu ray players were actually rebadged Sharp blu ray players...I bought mine just to play hi rez music when I first started in the hi rez hobby...I wasn't sure I was going to stay in the hobby and I only paid $250 for that machine...the lowest priced unit at the time that would play the various formats...although some people make the contention that all machines process the digital content in the same manner...all players are not the same...they do sound different...you will like the Oppo:)

Back