DVD/DTS Poll Fleetwood Mac - FLEETWOOD MAC [DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Dolby DVD of FLEETWOOD MAC

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 release of Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album from 1975.
This new box set includes a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix.

(n) :) (y)

7159884891_1867facaf6.jpg

51t8C7ZJO%2BL.jpg

FLEETWOOD-MAC-DELUXE-EDITION.jpg

Since this is a poll thread and will be viewed many times in the near and distant future, please do not turn this into an anti-Dolby Digital soap box zone.

Sure, you can comment that you hate the DD, are disappointed that it's only DD, and that it doesn't sound as good or it's harsh, but state your case and leave it at that. Any long winded back and forths that do not address the actual title and dwell on the chosen delivery system will be moved to the "other" thread, where there is plenty of that talk - and that's where it should stay.

Also, please do not vote or comment in this thread if you do not have this release. It's a poll, not "the other thread".

THANK YOU

Overall a weak 8. The surround in DD sounds better to me than the 96/24 LPCM stereo on the same disc. The surround version is very dynamic and the mix works around the DD resolution limitations well. The remix has increased the bass, giving the hits a harder sound. Some guitar parts that were previously pushed down in the familiar prior versions seem more prominent. Perhaps there are some alternative takes thrown in. The chorus in Rhiannon has receded a bit. Quite a joy, wish it was hi rez, but will listen many times.

My vote 8 is solely based on the Surround Disc but I will comment a little on the box set, minus the LP. Great easy box set very similar to Mirage, nice little booklet, rear track listing is loose paper, I don't know why they just don't print or glue it to rear. 4 discs, I listened to them all and they are good, the best thing about the Live disc, as this is the first of this lineup the live songs include earlier stuff, Station Man, etc all from two venues Oct 1975. Out takes, Demos, you know always the same kind of box set fluff. Original studio songs are great of course and a part of my youth, music is a 10.
Surround DVD: I thought the mix was incredible, great placement of instruments and vocals, very creative and discrete with movement of all parts. Unfortunately the Dolby Digital wrecks the sound as it comes to me. I felt like I wanted to hear more of this great mix, it felt to me like there was a veil and the punch that the music could have was lost, disappointing. I would give the remix or mix whatever it is called a 10, but the sound, sonics, fidelity, whatever people call it was weak probably a 7, so I came up with a 8.
I paid $87.01 from Amazon, a little too expensive. Am I glad I have it ? I think price vs enjoyment I could have done better. I likely will listen to the 14 track live disc more than the DVD.

What are the two venues? Is one of them the Trod Nossel broadcast? Thanks.

No, nothing is included from the Trod Nossel broadcast. The two venues are University of Connecticut and Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. Portions of the Passaic concert were broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour, but a few of the songs from the Passaic performance on the new box were not on the original Biscuit broadcast.

I had no problem with the sound quality of the 5.1 mix, which I found excellent in all regards. Even better, and unlike some discs I have, there is no brittle digital sound, excessive high end, or harshness that I can discern; in all, a wonderful mix for a damned good album. I'll get into more detail the more I listen, of course.

Only debit of this package is the lack of surround for the 45 versions (there are four). Aside from that, nothing negative for this listener. This is easily a '10' in all respects.

Having three key Buckingham/Nicks Mac albums in surround is a delight, and I wish that more acts would do the same. Although, yes, they are pricey, they are also well worth the investment, IMO.

ED :)

My package arrived today from Amazon UK - badly mangled and left out in the [emoji943]. Took some pictures before opening just in case but thankfully, All was good. Despite the lossy Dolby codec, I am very pleased. I, of course would prefer lossless. It is a bit “hot” volume wise but my first listen did not indicate any trouble spots. Even at a low volume, it has some kick - which is a good thing. One of my favorite albums - great package! I’ll wait a bit on voting in the poll but first impression is 9 or 10.

well, after reading some of the initial negative reviews here (and the first one on Amazon UK) I panicked and canceled my order (my order was a lot cheaper than it is now). Now, of course, I'm having regrets about doing that. I just really only want the surround disc (or songs) so if anyone is thinking of selling that disc (or open to discussing digital possibilities), please PM me. Thanks! Ian

My package arrived today from Amazon UK - badly mangled and left out in the [emoji943]. Took some pictures before opening just in case but thankfully, All was good. Despite the lossy Dolby codec, I am very pleased. I, of course would prefer lossless. It is a bit “hot” volume wise but my first listen did not indicate any trouble spots. Even at a low volume, it has some kick - which is a good thing. One of my favorite albums - great package! I’ll wait a bit on voting in the poll but first impression is 9 or 10.

+1

Likewise, a beautiful crisp day in New York's suburbs and my AmazonUK mangled package was sitting on my doorstep. Thankfully, the actual boxset was in MINT condition.:)

Have ONLY spun the 2 RBCDs so far [the actual RBCD album remaster sounds superb] and will be spinning the DD 5.1 tonight.

Like the previous FM boxsets, Rhino has assembled a similarly classy package.

Full disclosure: This is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album by a large margin, and this surround sound mix only reinforces my feelings, so I am biased.

I agree with Bishop that the Dolby Digital is done extremely well and does not negatively impact the sonics. There is none of that "gravel/grizzle" that seems to be prevalent on most DD discs. If you asked me what I thought about the fidelity of the 5.1 layer without revealing the codec I'd reply, "It sounds great. No way I'm leaving the building without a copy of that disc!" And since we don't have the 5.1 layer in hi-res for comparison we'll never know.

Right from the first few bars of Monday Morning I knew this 5.1 was going to be special. The whole 5.1 album has more impact (balls) than the hi-res stereo version (which is excellent by the way) without too much compression to give me an earache like 5.1 Sgt Pepper. The surround mix is excellent throughout and there is way more detail than with the stereo mix. It's one of those 5.1 mixes that I love with lots of presence so that the band sounds as if it's right in the room.

Some other details:

Rhiannon - As noted by another member, the background vocals are indeed recessed. It's a tad annoying but compensated by more emphasis on Buckinham's excellent guitar work.

Say You Love Me - The 5.1 mix is closer to the single version with more guitar flourishes in the early parts of the song. But the whole cut has much better sonics than the single version and is on par with the rest of the album.

World Turning - This song is much more interesting in 5.1 than it ever was in stereo. But the coda is about 2 minutes longer than the stereo version and drags on and on with an incessant fade out.

Other songs have minor differences with the stereo mix; but the 5.1 is now the gold standard in my household. I give this one a 10 because of the quality of the songs, the musicianship, the 5.1 mix, the overall impact and presentation, and the way the engineers have somehow overcome the sonic limitations of the DD codec.

And since we don't have the 5.1 layer in hi-res for comparison we'll never know.

Right from the first few bars of Monday Morning I knew this 5.1 was going to be special.

Isn't that the track that was on some car maker sampler? I'd love to hear someone (or, even better, a few people) compare that track in PCM vs DD. That would be interesting. As an occasional recordist and needledropper, I've never felt that hi res was that important at the listening end, but find it vital during mixing/mastering.

Isn't that the track that was on some car maker sampler? I'd love to hear someone (or, even better, a few people) compare that track in PCM vs DD. That would be interesting. As an occasional recordist and needledropper, I've never felt that hi res was that important at the listening end, but find it vital during mixing/mastering.

The strange thing, IMO, is that some of the high rez on the acura disc are in 48K and some are in 96K even though they are all mlp.

It's even weirder in that the menu for the disc will say it's playing at 48K but also available in 96K but doesn't mention where it's available in 96?

I don't remember if Monday Morning was 48K or 96K on the acura disc so that would be a factor also.

The strange thing, IMO, is that some of the high rez on the acura disc are in 48K and some are in 96K even though they are all mlp.

It's even weirder in that the menu for the disc will say it's playing at 48K but also available in 96K but doesn't mention where it's available in 96?

I don't remember if Monday Morning was 48K or 96K on the acura disc so that would be a factor also.

It's 96/24

"Fly Like An Eagle" on that disc is 48/24- I have to A/B it to the DD DVD, but I have a feeling the Acura version may just be an upsampled copy of that. Ditto on the Eagles track sourced from the "Farewell Tour" disc.

Here is spectral analysis of "Monday Morning" from the Acura Sampler. I ripped the 96/24 MLP to 96/24 FLAC with DVDAE.

Will do comparison w/ the DD when I get my box set in the mail.

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 11.32.37 PM.jpg

Ok, it's a nicely lazy Saturday afternoon with rain, rain, rain (I love that) and I cracked open the FM box.

The DD 5.1? Ok, again, DD 5.1 to me has a silken veil cast over it, and is not that discrete, usually.

That said, I find this mix much more pleasant than I would have expected <the rum helps :mad:@:>. "Landslide" was beautiful, as usual, and seemed to gain something from this DD 5.1 version.

So I gave it an "8," in comparison to the Sgt. Pepper ("7") as I thought that would be a good comparison, format differences included. So I'm glad to have it -- may sell off the rest one day, but in the meantime it's a keeper.

I had no problem with the sound quality of the 5.1 mix, which I found excellent in all regards. Even better, and unlike some discs I have, there is no brittle digital sound, excessive high end, or harshness that I can discern; in all, a wonderful mix for a damned good album. I'll get into more detail the more I listen, of course.

Only debit of this package is the lack of surround for the 45 versions (there are four). Aside from that, nothing negative for this listener. This is easily a '10' in all respects.

Having three key Buckingham/Nicks Mac albums in surround is a delight, and I wish that more acts would do the same. Although, yes, they are pricey, they are also well worth the investment, IMO.

ED :)

y'know, when an album is so great you know you'll probably play it until your last days, why not have a super deluxe of it?

When you look at most albums, only a few in comparison would even be worthy of a box in the first place, so candidates for this treatment are fewer in the larger scheme.

I gave the Fleetwood Mac DVD another listen this morning. With the first listen I wasn't able to sit down to relax and focus on the SQ of the 5.1 mix. Today was a much better time and really enjoyed the 5.1 mix and of course the music. On the first listen I thought overall the 5.1 mix and SQ was a 7 but after listening today I'd rate it an 8.

Bill

I gave the Fleetwood Mac DVD another listen this morning. With the first listen I wasn't able to sit down to relax and focus on the SQ of the 5.1 mix. Today was a much better time and really enjoyed the 5.1 mix and of course the music. On the first listen I thought overall the 5.1 mix and SQ was a 7 but after listening today I'd rate it an 8.

Bill

Well Bill...props to you for waiting to vote...this won't be another Idlewild South episode...just kidding:couch

Back