Suggestions for Turntable/Speaker Starter Set-Up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm hoping I can tap into the brilliant minds here at the QQ for some help... I'd like to purchase a turntable and stereo speaker set-up for my dad (currently he listens to his albums on one of those "vintage-looking" turntable/speaker combo units... the kind you can get at Target). I know nothing about turntables. He doesn't have a hi-fi system set-up, so the whole package needs to be self-sufficient. He hates computers, so no USB stuff is necessary. I'm guessing I'll need to find some sort of powered bookshelf speakers. The turntable needs to have a built in amp (I think?)... I'd like to spend $500-600 total.

Any suggestions for the turntable and/or speakers?

(I'm also going to send him the new Elvis '57 45RPM vinyl, but I figured what was the point if he was going to listen to it on his current set-up!)

The turntable needs to have a built in amp (I think?)... I'd like to spend $500-600 total

Instead of a built in amp you could use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-3A-Class-D-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00C2P61FO

It's cheap, it looks cool, and it works well enough. I bought two of 'em- I use one to power my center channel and another to drive the output of one of those old RCA 45 changer units into a mono speaker.

I'll get back to you on TT & Speakers- personally I use all vintage stuff in that department

I haven't heard Klipsch so I can't say. Speakers are very 'personal' I think. The sound one person likes may not suit another. I have Monitor Audio Silver RS-8 floorstanders all round, which are quite neutral and do show up limitations of the recordings. They make some reasonably priced good bookshelf speakers. https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Audi...&qid=1516469118&sr=1-3&keywords=monitor+audio

At the end-of-the-day its often about how big is the budget and whether the kit is reliable.

Back