Gerry Mulligan - Age of Steam DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.smith

I don't own it, but every outlet that has it for sale, say about the same thing...that it includes a surround mix along with Dolby Digital stereo. I guess unless every outlet is wrong, then it should be surround. Are you asking because you have doubts, or are you asking about the quality of the surround mix?

I am interested in the quality of the mix. I guess I will have to buy a copy and check it out.

From what I can gather, it was never released in Quad so its either a recent mix or a shelved Quad mix.

A bit off topic on this thread [apologies] but a QUAD dream of mine would be the release of 1971's Beaver & Krause's GANDHARVA, side two of which was recorded in San Francisco's Grace Cathedral with the participation of Gerry Mulligan and Bud Shank with PAUL Beaver on organ. This Warner release was recorded quadraphonically and released in Japan and its last two cuts, By Your Grace and Good Places featuring Shank and Mulligan improvising are simply magnifico!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAuTQFJAAf0 [By Your Grace]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7qk_AOR4w [Good Places]

Finally picked up a copy of this and the surround (Dolby Digital 5.1) is merely stereo with ambient surrounds and a presumably combined centre. Sad really considering what might have been.

Finally picked up a copy of this and the surround (Dolby Digital 5.1) is merely stereo with ambient surrounds and a presumably combined centre. Sad really considering what might have been.

I donno...sorry I didn't see your post before now, but I wasn't disappointed. Agreed: it's not wildly discrete, but there are some lead instruments isolated in the fronts, anyway, and I'm accustomed to jazz records taking more of a concert-hall approach. I actually picked this up recently, myself, after seeing Adam & Quad Linda discuss it a few weeks ago. (Start here and scroll down.) Can't fault all the extras on the DVD, at least!

I was disappointed with the lack of discrete elements in the surround mix but, like you, thought that the overall package was quite good. Have yet to listen to the CD.

the surround mix seemed much more than double stereo on this one when i tried it the other week but i'll give it another go soon and scrutinise the individual channels while i'm at it. great sounding disc!

Back