Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won" Blu-Ray Reissue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would not call JP 'great" but he had physical ability, but, he lacked any really good advancement in music theory. He was/is good at many levels but only to a point. You can hear his limits on live shows, where he is going off on riffs, but then just looses it. I think of him as really good, not great. Great guitar is always overlooked and unappreciated.

When you start trying to judge these players ..trying to separate the "really good" from the great..isn't always easy...it's totally subjective..I've gotten in to some heated discussions about who is great and who isn't...some are true technicians and others are just born with the gift...I remember one discussion when the guy was telling me how much better Joe Satriani was than Jimi Hendrix..not IF he was better...that he was way better...and I told the guy that Joe was a better technician...but not better...what Jimi had was natural talent...and some things he did.. were never done before....when you are the creator of something...that's more impressive than the people that study you and "perfect" your creation..

Some interesting opinions on Zep's musicianship.

I'm sure y'all realize that Jimmy was the most sought after studio guitarist in Britain until he joined a little group called The Yardbirds w\ Jeff Beck and literally played on hundreds if not thousands of studio recordings.
Jones was also a studio guy which is where they met.
Obviously, Jones was more multi-instrumental than Page but that in no way diminishes Page's talent.

Jimmy Page was Led Zeppelin. His concept. He put the band together. He drove the direction throughout their lifetime. No Page, no Zep. Period.

Page may not be your cup o' tea but to describe his chops as anything below the elites doesn't pass the bar.

Part of this was my bad -- I read 'JP' as 'JPJ'.

JPJ was great. JP was definitely great too. (y)

When you start trying to judge these players ..trying to separate the "really good" from the great..isn't always easy...it's totally subjective..I've gotten in to some heated discussions about who is great and who isn't...some are true technicians and others are just born with the gift...I remember one discussion when the guy was telling me how much better Joe Satriani was than Jimi Hendrix..not IF he was better...that he was way better...and I told the guy that Joe was a better technician...but not better...what Jimi had was natural talent...and some things he did.. were never done before....when you are the creator of something...that's more impressive than the people that study you and "perfect" your creation..

How is Joe Satriani "better" in any way than Hendrix?
Answer he ain't.
I know this is not your opinion Clint and I'm not challenging you in any way.

Look there are a zillion technically brilliant guitarists and Satriani is technically brilliant.
All you have to do is get a subscription the Guitar Play magazine to realize this.

Hendrix had and developed a blend of all of his musical influences that remains unique to this day.
As much as I love Stevie Ray Vaughn, even he can't play Hendrix as good as Hendrix.
Technically yeah and his version of Voodoo Chile is great but which one ya gonna pick if you have to?

Hendrix played covers of classic songs, put his own stamp on them and made them his own.
That is a rare talent and he did it every time without taking a breath.
His range was also seemingly infinite.

Take Little Wing. Truly an iconic, brilliant, beautiful song.
Jimi's take is instantly recognizable as is Clapton's but he takes it and subtly bends it from a straight blues tune to blues\psych or whatever.
Jimi's is every bit as valid and brilliant as Eric's and not the same.

I'll stop now. Sorry

How is Joe Satriani "better" in any way than Hendrix?
Answer he ain't.
I know this is not your opinion Clint and I'm not challenging you in any way.

Look there are a zillion technically brilliant guitarists and Satriani is technically brilliant.
All you have to do is get a subscription the Guitar Play magazine to realize this.

Hendrix had and developed a blend of all of his musical influences that remains unique to this day.
As much as I love Stevie Ray Vaughn, even he can't play Hendrix as good as Hendrix.
Technically yeah and his version of Voodoo Chile is great but which one ya gonna pick if you have to?

Hendrix played covers of classic songs, put his own stamp on them and made them his own.
That is a rare talent and he did it every time without taking a breath.
His range was also seemingly infinite.

Take Little Wing. Truly an iconic, brilliant, beautiful song.
Jimi's take is instantly recognizable as is Clapton's but he takes it and subtly bends it from a straight blues tune to blues\psych or whatever.
Jimi's is every bit as valid and brilliant as Eric's and not the same.

I'll stop now. Sorry

Don't stop on my account...I agree with what you said...I would say however that Stevie Ray came the closest to Jimi as anyone I have ever seen....he did have that same spontaneity...and that ability is rare....it's amazing what Jimi did in roughly 7 years..and death at the age of 27

Don't stop on my account...I agree with what you said...I would say however that Stevie Ray came the closest to Jimi as anyone I have ever seen....he did have that same spontaneity...and that ability is rare....it's amazing what Jimi did in roughly 7 years..and death at the age of 27
You axed for it :)

Stevie Ray Vaughn while acknowledged as great truly has more parallels to Jimi Hendrix than any other guitarist I know of.
Had is own unique style while paying homage to a ton of genres, especially R&B and takes it in a soulful, melodic direction.
Two things that seem to me to be overlooked is how perfect Jimi's & Stevie's vocals matched & complimented their compositions.
AND the guy could wear a kimono, a Texas Gambler hat with silver band and it all worked.

What I love about SRV is that he takes a style of music that is not one of my built-in favorites & makes it one of my built-in favorites.
One of my favorite songs is Without You by David Bowie, I have the single for cryin' out loud.

I like Stevie Ray Vaughn way, way, way more than Jimi Hendrix and IMHO Stevie Ray Vaughn was better.

There you go, start shooting now :):):)

Regards,

PD: You know who's my second place guitarist?

Eddie Van Halen

"In 2012, he was voted number one in a Guitar World magazine reader's poll for "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time"." (wiki)

Now you guys can shoot me down for blasphemy. :bounce:):):)

In Australia it’s getting harder & harder to get anything in 5.1 on BluRay Audio.
The only major music store JB HiFi has clearly stopped selling virtually any product that has a BluRay audio.
This led zeppelin reissue is on preorder at JB HiFi but the BluRay is not!

Even the upcoming Doors BluRay & even DVD of the Isle Of Wight show is not available on preorder.

Very sad sign of the times for music buyers in Australia

Very sad sign of the times for music buyers in Australia

The problem is price. Just about every Australian release is more expensive than buying from overseas. Most times significantly higher (The recent Fleetwood Mac box sets were ridiculously priced here - $60 or so more than importing!).

I can't remember the last MCH audio disc I bought (new) here, probably some Genesis DVDAs I found in a bargain bin years ago. (I did buy a couple of UHD movies recently in a 2 for $40 bin).

I'd love to walk in to a local store and get a good choice of BDAs etc but I can't bring myself to support local retail when I'm being ripped off.

The problem is price. Just about every Australian release is more expensive than buying from overseas. Most times significantly higher (The recent Fleetwood Mac box sets were ridiculously priced here - $60 or so more than importing!).

I can't remember the last MCH audio disc I bought (new) here, probably some Genesis DVDAs I found in a bargain bin years ago. (I did buy a couple of UHD movies recently in a 2 for $40 bin).

I'd love to walk in to a local store and get a good choice of BDAs etc but I can't bring myself to support local retail when I'm being ripped off.

That is indeed sad...although we have many options in the US..sometimes we have to order from amazon UK when we have a amazon US... due to the huge disparity in price...very strange indeed..certainly not the same situation...but still strange given amazon knows what we are doing to avoid the higher price and yet it continues...

Some interesting opinions on Zep's musicianship.

I'm sure y'all realize that Jimmy was the most sought after studio guitarist in Britain until he joined a little group called The Yardbirds w\ Jeff Beck and literally played on hundreds if not thousands of studio recordings.
Jones was also a studio guy which is where they met.
Obviously, Jones was more multi-instrumental than Page but that in no way diminishes Page's talent.

Jimmy Page was Led Zeppelin. His concept. He put the band together. He drove the direction throughout their lifetime. No Page, no Zep. Period.

Page may not be your cup o' tea but to describe his chops as anything below the elites doesn't pass the bar.

The only guitarist who truly stands alone is Jimi Hendrix.
There never was or will ever be another like him.
Like Mozart. There's only one.

I certainly can't disagree with your analogy, but I was never overly-impressed with any of LZ's live recordings (especially The Song Remains the Same). For as good as JP was/is, I think LZ would have benefitted greatly from an additional guitarist for their live shows. I'll get excited when the studio albums are mixed in surround.

Amazon have pulled the listing...must have got a "hey you jumped the gun" call?

I think it's a technical problem at amazon US...all the usual outlets still have it listed...bullmoose...importcds...deepdiscount......music direct...acoustic sounds..elusive disc..and even amazon uk...plus it couldn't be pulled because it's too early because the band's already announced it...maybe it's delayed due to a pressing or printing problem...or maybe it's a technical problem with the amazon us website...look at the bottom of the section about the release..about a "technical gremlin" which was posted a few days ago HERE

Amazon charges me tax + $3.98 shipping($24.57 at amazon)...at $30 the shipping is free at Bullmoose...so I will pick up another title to get free shipping(which is $2.99) AND I will gain points toward credit on a future purchase..AND I try to support Bullmoose when I can due to forum involvement HERE is the listing
For those in Oz wowhd.com.au have the Bluray listed for A$28.01 including shipping. Bargain!

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

Back