Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won" Blu-Ray Reissue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly, If Warner Music Japan is to be believed, the DVD in the Super Deluxe Edition is a (probably the original) DVD-Audio, although all versions in Japan (CD, LP and SDE) are marked as "2018リマスター" or "2018 remaster":

https://wmg.jp/artist/zeppelin/WPZR000030784.html

I suppose it's possible that the DVD-Audio discs are exclusive to the domestic Japanese box, but I think it makes more sense overall if Warner has simply included the existing DVD-Audio discs in all versions worldwide. Of course, If the discs have been remastered, then surely the DVD is just a new DVD with high-red audio mixes. Interestingly, the Japanese are pretty clear that their set in nine "discs" and that their DVD is two discs (like the DVD-Audio), while the Western art, and the info on Led Zeppelin's site is pretty clear that their edition is eight discs and has one DVD. Very odd.

Curiously, the Japanese are not selling the Blu-ray Audio domestically. Only the three above formats are being sold there. The Western Blu-ray Audio version (the one sold in North America/Europe), which is ASIN: B0796DDBZ1, is not yet listed on Amazon Japan, but surely it will be soon.

The scary thing is when they mention a 2018 remastering.... and those 4 fatal words right before "remastering"..SUPERVISED by Jimmy Page..you could replace supervised with various words...like micromanaged...destroyed...ruined...all would fit...he's been like a one man wrecking crew on the LZ catalog..all his tinkering and screwing around with the tapes..he might set new records for the worst DR in history if he isn't stopped...this blu ray is so cheap it's a no brainer to buy...I just don't expect much...giving it the hi rez treatment means nothing if the mastering is poor..

The scary thing is when they mention a 2018 remastering.... and those 4 fatal words right before "remastering"..SUPERVISED by Jimmy Page..you could replace supervised with various words...like micromanaged...destroyed...ruined...all would fit...he's been like a one man wrecking crew on the LZ catalog..all his tinkering and screwing around with the tapes..he might set new records for the worst DR in history if he isn't stopped...this blu ray is so cheap it's a no brainer to buy...I just don't expect much...giving it the hi rez treatment means nothing if the mastering is poor..

That IS a scary thought, Clint.

What these aging rock artists DON'T realize is the reality of hearing loss that I'm sure Page is experiencing in spades after years of touring/recording with LZ. Hell, even Steve Wilson at age 56 has admitted to a hearing loss not to mention Peter Townsend.

Time to step aside, Mr Page [who's 74], and concede remixing/remastering chores to younger, more capable EARS.

What these aging rock artists DON'T realize is the reality of hearing loss that I'm sure Page is experiencing in spades after years of touring/recording with LZ. Hell, even Steve Wilson at age 56 has admitted to a hearing loss not to mention Peter Townsend.

Time to step aside, Mr Page, and concede remixing/remastering chores to younger, more capable EARS.

He was a great guitarist...but that didn't translate to music production...somebody should have stopped him years ago...but Plant doesn't really care and both them are so wealthy it's just something to pass the time away..

Time to step aside, Mr Page [who's 74], and concede remixing/remastering chores to younger, more capable EARS.

The album remasters are really love/hate for me because of that (I assume). Clearly made from the master tapes that the original albums were mastered from. The removal of a layer or two of generation copy is wonderful. The dense mixes of the last 3 albums that were utterly destroyed by all the past releases are like a first ever listen and just great! The restored dynamics of the sound of a real band that you have to turn the overall volume up for is greatness. But that's where the problem comes screaming in. Christ, the blinding high end wears out your ears at full listening volume! Kinda torn... The first 5 original pressings - props to the mastering engineer there. The remasters are cleaner less generational but props to those original presentations.

I should make a de-blinded version of these remasters one day.

Yeah, the HTWWW DVDA has none of the blinding high end thing. The edited to hell songs are the sore point there! Probably the same truncations on the new release right?

The press release I see says:

• CD – Remastered audio on three CDs
• Vinyl – Remastered audio on four 180-gram vinyl LPs.
• Blu-Ray Audio – 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) and stereo mixes
(PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo).
• Streaming & Digital Download – Remastered audio.
• Super Deluxe Boxed Set
o Remastered audio on three CDs and four 180-gram vinyl LPs.
o DVD of album in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and PCM Stereo, plus photo gallery.
o High-def download card of all stereo audio content at 96kHz/24 bit.
o A book filled with rare and previously unpublished photos of the band at each of
the concert locations, plus memorabilia and ephemera.
o High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be
individually numbered.

http://1069thefox.com/2018/01/24/how-the-west-was-won-to-be-remastered/

He was a great guitarist...but that didn't translate to music production...somebody should have stopped him years ago...but Plant doesn't really care and both them are so wealthy it's just something to pass the time away..

? Didn't translate? Those early LZ albums are widely considered to be brilliant productions.

? Didn't translate? Those early LZ albums are widely considered to be brilliant productions.

Since, according to Wikipedia, Page's net worth is $174M, offer Elliot Scheiner $1M [coaxing him out of retirement] and let HIM remix those classic LZ multitracks into 5.1, ATMOS 7.1 and/or Auro 3D 9.1!

Problem Solved.......

The album remasters are really love/hate for me because of that (I assume). Clearly made from the master tapes that the original albums were mastered from.

You mean the crop circles and 'Complete Studio Recordings' boxes? Those were the first issues that used original master tapes as source , IIRC.

Run the LFE channel through Audacity spectrogram view or Plot Spectrum, to know for sure.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 9.18.11 PM.jpg

Whatever Jimmy Page has done with the Led Zeppelin catalogue recently is one thing, but I really cannot find much fault at all with those albums as they were originally recorded and produced.

And anyone who recognizes a great drum sound like this when they hear it is a good enough producer in my book:
[video=youtube;FFDYuO53BUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDYuO53BUk[/video]

:)

Now listed on amazon.co.uk @ £128.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-West-S...-2&keywords=how+the+west+was+won+led+zeppelin

Contents according to amazon show 5.1 DVD only, no BD-A, this is the 2nd site I've found that states this, so BD-A is stand alone only! But I couldn't find it on the amazon.co.uk website.

The Super Deluxe Boxset is housed in a lift top box and contains:
- Remastered audio on three CDs and four 180-gram vinyl LPs.
- DVD of album in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and PCM Stereo, plus photo gallery.
- High-def download card of all stereo audio content at 96kHz/24 bit.
- A book filled with rare and previously unpublished photos of the band at each of the concert locations, plus memorabilia and ephemera.
- High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.

Would not call JP 'great" but he had physical ability, but, he lacked any really good advancement in music theory. He was/is good at many levels but only to a point. You can hear his limits on live shows, where he is going off on riffs, but then just looses it. I think of him as really good, not great. Great guitar is always overlooked and unappreciated.

Yup, I see much the same pattern in an Audition frequency scan of that track's LFE channel (Audition can scan the whole track, unlike Audacity which can only analyze ~200 seconds) . The loudest content is between 40 and 170 Hz, but there's 'significant' content (say, average level higher than -80dBFS) all the way out to about 3kHz. Very silly.

As a bassist (whose favorites are prog guys like Squire et al.), I would certainly call JPJ *great*. No question.

Absolutely! JPJ was definitely the best musician in Zeppelin for sure.
He has amazing talent as a musician and arranger.
His best arranging work outside of the band is his string arranging on R.E.M.’s “Automatic for the People”, whereas I love his bass playing on Them Crooked Vultures (with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age on guitar and Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters on drums)

His best arranging work outside of the band is his string arranging on R.E.M.’s “Automatic for the People”, whereas I love his bass playing on Them Crooked Vultures (with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age on guitar and Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters on drums)

This. The more I study Bonham's drum parts though, the more impressed I am. I'd say he was no slouch either.

Not to shabby either when he's stretching out on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZEww2fCw74

Some interesting opinions on Zep's musicianship.

I'm sure y'all realize that Jimmy was the most sought after studio guitarist in Britain until he joined a little group called The Yardbirds w\ Jeff Beck and literally played on hundreds if not thousands of studio recordings.
Jones was also a studio guy which is where they met.
Obviously, Jones was more multi-instrumental than Page but that in no way diminishes Page's talent.

Jimmy Page was Led Zeppelin. His concept. He put the band together. He drove the direction throughout their lifetime. No Page, no Zep. Period.

Page may not be your cup o' tea but to describe his chops as anything below the elites doesn't pass the bar.

The only guitarist who truly stands alone is Jimi Hendrix.
There never was or will ever be another like him.
Like Mozart. There's only one.

Whatever Jimmy Page has done with the Led Zeppelin catalogue recently is one thing, but I really cannot find much fault at all with those albums as they were originally recorded and produced.

And anyone who recognizes a great drum sound like this when they hear it is a good enough producer in my book:
[video=youtube;FFDYuO53BUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDYuO53BUk[/video]

I agree with you...and that is what is so painful..he's like a tale of two cities...early on he did some impressive work on those landmark albums..and LZ did bring in some good people to work on their projects...one of my favorite albums ...Houses of The Holy.. had Bob Ludwig on the project...but after those active years... he started tinkering with those finely produced albums...and that is when things went downhill...and sadly that is what affects us the most in the hi rez hobby we love...what he is doing now...or rather what he is not doing...letting someone else step in and do it better...I know what these albums sound like..I had them "back in the day" on vinyl...that is what kills me and others who actually know what these albums can sound like.. here is the vinyl that Bob worked on

Back