Kansas needs love too

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Kansas' first five albums are in desperate need of surround treatment. There's just so much interesting stuff going on in the layered arrangements that I can't think of any other music that would benefit more. I wonder why Kansas so rarely gets talked about here, considering so many of us are prog fans. Drummer and manager Phil Ehart has been asked about the possibility of surround mixes several times over the years and he has always been positive about the prospect, but the powers that be (whomever they are) don't seem interested. If they were a British group I'll bet they would get the attention of Steven Wilson, but American prog just doesn't get much love. Something needs to be done about this.

Kansas' first five albums are in desperate need of surround treatment. There's just so much interesting stuff going on in the layered arrangements that I can't think of any other music that would benefit more. I wonder why Kansas so rarely gets talked about here, considering so many of us are prog fans. Drummer and manager Phil Ehart has been asked about the possibility of surround mixes several times over the years and he has always been positive about the prospect, but the powers that be (whomever they are) don't seem interested. If they were a British group I'll bet they would get the attention of Steven Wilson, but American prog just doesn't get much love. Something needs to be done about this.

It seems Leftoverture was in the works years ago- https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ith-Kansas-Leftoverture-listed-as-coming-soon

I saw Kansas in concert twice - in an arena on 9/2/1979. and in a club on 12/4/1992. Both shows were great! I would love to hear them in surround, particularly Leftoverture. So who do we call or email to encourage it?

I saw Kansas in concert twice - in an arena on 9/2/1979. and in a club on 12/4/1992. Both shows were great! I would love to hear them in surround, particularly Leftoverture. So who do we call or email to encourage it?

I saw them in 1980 in MSG in NY. Did Steve do a handstand on the keys? He was still doing them in 1999 when I saw them in Chicago. Check out this video at the 3:50 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCEN5TrB-RU

I saw them in 1980 in MSG in NY. Did Steve do a handstand on the keys? He was still doing them in 1999 when I saw them in Chicago. Check out this video at the 3:50 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCEN5TrB-RU

Very cool! If he did that I have no recollection of it, but in 1979 I was on the right side of the audience on the floor, so my view may have been obscured if the stage layout was the same. I have also forgotten alot!

If someone were to do a great mix of Leftoverture, side 2 would get a lot of airtime over here!

Kansas and RUSH were IMHO the only progressive bands of that era outside Europe that really were worth their salt.
Their back catalogue is still part of the Sony family, and unfortunately that conglomerate rarely has the interest to issue any surround sound releases themselves. (Only reason I think "Eye in the Sky" got out there was because of the insistence of Alan Parsons himself.)
Plus I think you're right in that they would not be the kind of group that attracts Steven Wilson, especially since it seems like they really were not that renowned outside of North America.
But I would certainly tell Sony to shut up and take my money if they ever decided to get those first five Kansas records mixed in surround sound!

In the meantime, I would like to direct everyone's attention to their fantastic documentary called "Miracles Out Of Nowhere", which traces their story from obscurity to huge national success in the second half of the 1970s. It's a highly recommended film!
Also their latest live album sounds great too, and it includes a full performance of the "Leftoverture" album: https://www.amazon.com/Leftoverture-Live-Beyond-Kansas/dp/B0759MB4V3/

:)

I'm not familiar with their catalog but I did see them fairly recently at Red Rocks (opening for Tull) and they were really impressive musically. I'm sure they were better in the '70s and all that...but they still had it.

I've gotten the point where I can't stand "Carry on Wayward Son". It sounds mechanical and cold, nearly soulless to me at this late stage of the game. Pompous sounding to the extreme.

As I get older many albums I liked at one time now fall flat for me. Others are sounding better than ever.

It's just me I know.

A few days ago Dust in the Wind is playing on XM radio...

Wife: "I had this album on cassette. Do you have it in your collection. You seem to have everything."
Me: "No I don't. But I'll buy it in a heartbeat if someone releases it in surround. Gotta be in surround."

A few days ago Dust in the Wind is playing on XM radio...

Wife: "I had this album on cassette. Do you have it in your collection. You seem to have everything."
Me: "No I don't. But I'll buy it in a heartbeat if someone releases it in surround. Gotta be in surround."

DITW is the most un-Kansas sounding song they ever did. Ironically it's probably the one with the most radio airplay.

Leftoverture and Point of Know Return represent the pinnacle of their output. If you like Kansas at all, you should own them even in stereo! The first 5 albums had CD re-releases back in the 2000's with much improved masters.

DITW is the most un-Kansas sounding song they ever did. Ironically it's probably the one with the most radio airplay.

In the documentary, Kerry Livgren discusses how “Dust in the Wind” started as a finger-picking exercise. It was his wife that convinced him to turn it into a full song, and well, the rest is history.

Nice! Just the other day, I was listening to the CD version of “Vinyl Confessions” and thinking to myself what a great underrated LP. I haven’t listened to this album in years. At the time, back in the early eighties, I never thought it was as good as “Drastic Measures”. Now, listening to that album sounds dated and “Vinyl Confessions” sounds very fresh, within reason. I’ve owned and used to listen to all Kansas album’s, back in the day. I kind of got burned out on the first few prog albums but can listen to them again, no problem. I’ve had a lot of friends in my lifetime. Some very much into prog, some very little with mostly rock, and most hated Kansas. My favorite two albums have always been “Monolith” and “Audio-Visions” (less prog, more pop rock) and the album covers were great, but always kept “Leftoverture” close to my heart because, and for many others, was my first Kansas record.

I’m playing ”Vinyl Confessions” right now. It’s one of three albums that I can remember that didn’t have Steve Walsh. John Elefante was okay but I really missed Steve. What a voice and could whale!!!

In the documentary, Kerry Livgren discusses how “Dust in the Wind” started as a finger-picking exercise. It was his wife that convinced him to turn it into a full song, and well, the rest is history.

Of course, Kansas played DITW at the concert a few months ago. It was a totally acoustic version and it was flat out amazing. I'm talking goose bumps and all that. I was floored. :)

I always loved this band dating back to Masque.
Got to mix some of their songs for Guitar Hero or Rock Band (Stereo).
Would love to take a shot at a 5.1 if Sony ever decided to give it a try.
Haven't mixed non-concert surround in ages, and I'm sure it would be fun, (for me!).

I've gotten the point where I can't stand "Carry on Wayward Son". It sounds mechanical and cold, nearly soulless to me at this late stage of the game. Pompous sounding to the extreme.

As I get older many albums I liked at one time now fall flat for me. Others are sounding better than ever.

It's just me I know.

Kansas, Rush, the much less well-known (but almost 'big' for 5 seconds) Starcastle...these were second string, derivative prog acts to me in the 70s and always will be. Stuff your younger brothers got into . But they've each done some great tracks.

Kansas took a certain dry, precise, early-mid 70s production aesthetic to its limit and maybe beyond. It might be awesome in surround ('Magnum Opus', anyone?). In later years I discovered some of their early live work on a boxed set (like 'Death of Mother Nature (suite)") and it's much fiercer and rawer than their studio output. Good stuff.

I saw them once, way past their prime, opening for Yes...in the 90s or oughts. Steve Walsh looked like an old billy goat and his voice was a shadow of itself. All that mid-70s arena corporate rock wailing (a style I *hated*) had taken its toll. But they still rocked. (Jon Anderson's voice at that same concert still in miraculous high form by comparison.)

Nice! Just the other day, I was listening to the CD version of “Vinyl Confessions” and thinking to myself what a great underrated LP. I haven’t listened to this album in years. At the time, back in the early eighties, I never thought it was as good as “Drastic Measures”. Now, listening to that album sounds dated and “Vinyl Confessions” sounds very fresh, within reason. I’ve owned and used to listen to all Kansas album’s, back in the day. I kind of got burned out on the first few prog albums but can listen to them again, no problem. I’ve had a lot of friends in my lifetime. Some very much into prog, some very little with mostly rock, and most hated Kansas. My favorite two albums have always been “Monolith” and “Audio-Visions” (less prog, more pop rock) and the album covers were great, but always kept “Leftoverture” close to my heart because, and for many others, was my first Kansas record.

I’m playing ”Vinyl Confessions” right now. It’s one of three albums that I can remember that didn’t have Steve Walsh. John Elefante was okay but I really missed Steve. What a voice and could whale!!!

When I was a kid I had a lifesize cardboard figure of the native American guy on the cover of Monolith in my room (my stepfather was in the music biz)... it was awesome! I'd really love to hear "Song For America" in surround... killer tune:)

Back