WIFI outside

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The name of my thread is pretty self explanatory. But I have a few questions. Let me explain my situation in the house first....

I have a wireless router setup in my stereo room. The router has 4 ethernet ports, all of which have parts of my system connected to it. I prefer to hardwire as much as I can, when it's convenient.

No matter where I place this router, I cannot get the signal outside. I've been told it's due to my aluminum siding that seems to block the signal from getting outside. I believe it because I also have nearly non existent cell signal inside...but strong if I stand outside.

So, there are my two situations. Now, let me ask my questions.

Is there some small connector or device that can be plugged into my router (via ethernet) that has an additional set of ethernet ports that I could then use to plug in additional devices? (inside I mean, so I can connect all of my equipment)

If the answer is yes, I have another question. Can I then use one of my additional ethernet ports to hardwire another router and string it outside so that I can get wifi outside?

I don't want to mess with a signal extender, because I don't think it will work considering my problem with aluminum siding....which is why I want to run ethernet from inside to outside and connect another router that way....

What you think QQ?

The name of my thread is pretty self explanatory. But I have a few questions. Let me explain my situation in the house first....

I have a wireless router setup in my stereo room. The router has 4 ethernet ports, all of which have parts of my system connected to it. I prefer to hardwire as much as I can, when it's convenient.

No matter where I place this router, I cannot get the signal outside. I've been told it's due to my aluminum siding that seems to block the signal from getting outside. I believe it because I also have nearly non existent cell signal inside...but strong if I stand outside.

You live inside a giant Faraday Cage which is quite neat!

Is there some small connector or device that can be plugged into my router (via ethernet) that has an additional set of ethernet ports that I could then use to plug in additional devices? (inside I mean, so I can connect all of my equipment)

Yes, an Ethernet Switch - I have 3 connected to my Router. Most Routers are now Gigabit so have a look at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ch&sprefix=gigabit,aps,236&crid=2QWC826WJH5AJ

If the answer is yes, I have another question. Can I then use one of my additional ethernet ports to hardwire another router and string it outside so that I can get wifi outside?

I don't want to mess with a signal extender, because I don't think it will work considering my problem with aluminum siding....which is why I want to run ethernet from inside to outside and connect another router that way....

What you think QQ?

You need an outdoor Wi-Fi Access Point, something like this https://www.amazon.com/N300-Waterpr...01&sr=8-12&keywords=outdoor+ethernet+to+wi-fi or

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ics&field-keywords=outdoor+wi-fi+access+point

Thanks Duncan, that seems pretty straight forward. Is there any merit (advantage...easier....dummy proof) to buying same brands? I have a Linksys router currently. Heck, I also have another router sitting unused....but it's Netgear.

Hi Gene,

Well I have 24-port HP Gigabit Switch in the loft connected to my Router (from BT my service provider) which is connected to a TP Link Ethernet Switch for the PC s & Printers, and a 3Com Switch for the Hi-Fi, and I've a 16-port Netgear Switch waiting to be used if I expand the Hi-Fi rack connections! I have used Linksys when I just used 10/100 Ethernet. By and large they all do work together.

If you use multiple Routers in a System you can have a lot of 'fun' setting them up, so the simpler the better in my book. For the Wi-Fi Outdoor Access I'd go for one that has had lots of positive reviews on amazon etc.

Thanks Duncan, that seems pretty straight forward. Is there any merit (advantage...easier....dummy proof) to buying same brands? I have a Linksys router currently. Heck, I also have another router sitting unused....but it's Netgear.

Hi Gene,

Well I have 24-port HP Gigabit Switch in the loft connected to my Router (from BT my service provider) which is connected to a TP Link Ethernet Switch for the PC s & Printers, and a 3Com Switch for the Hi-Fi, and I've a 16-port Netgear Switch waiting to be used if I expand the Hi-Fi rack connections! I have used Linksys when I just used 10/100 Ethernet. By and large they all do work together.

If you use multiple Routers in a System you can have a lot of 'fun' setting them up, so the simpler the better in my book. For the Wi-Fi Outdoor Access I'd go for one that has had lots of positive reviews on amazon etc.

I think for now, I would be plenty happy just having a few extra Ethernet ports and then run a cable outdoors and plug in the access point. So, if I don't get a Linksys access point, will I "have fun" hooking up brand B to my Linksys? I need easy..... :)

I think for now, I would be plenty happy just having a few extra Ethernet ports and then run a cable outdoors and plug in the access point. So, if I don't get a Linksys access point, will I "have fun" hooking up brand B to my Linksys? I need easy..... :)
That's what I would do, easy and simple is best! :upthumb One thing though, try and mount your Access port away from the Aluminium cladding, it will mess up the Wi-Fi antenna performance and can put a 'strain' on the unit due to 'reflected' power.

Edit: Missed the bit about Linksys Access Point - no you shouldn't have any issues with other Brands, as you are connecting to the Access Point via Ethernet. You will need to do some setting up of the Access Point though, Wi-Fi encryption settings, SSID etc. I don't need one as I have found in summer that I can work under my apple tree about 150feet away from my router, but only when its not raining, which isn't very often in this part of the UK!

Missed the bit about Linksys Access Point - no you shouldn't have any issues with other Brands, as you are connecting to the Access Point via Ethernet. You will need to do some setting up of the Access Point though, Wi-Fi encryption settings, SSID etc. I don't need one as I have found in summer that I can work under my apple tree about 150feet away from my router, but only when its not raining, which isn't very often in this part of the UK!

The other obvious (not so obvious) solution would be to just get a better router.

virtually any of the 8 listed on this amazon page are some of the best IMO

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-Compatible/dp/B00KWHMR6G

I use one of these with a netgear switch and never any problems and very strong signals everywhere (3 story house with metal in the walls and huge mirrors the outside of some walls)

The other obvious (not so obvious) solution would be to just get a better router.

virtually any of these listed on that amazon page are some of the best IMO

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-Compatible/dp/B00KWHMR6G

I think mine is adequate - at least according to the specs.

Linksys router.jpg

try both the 2.4 and 5GHz because sometimes the 2.4 is better on one of my devices but sometimes the 5GHz is better on a different device

apple products are finicky this way

This is obvious but I still got bitten with old CAT5 cables - make sure you use CAT6 cable for all your Ethernet connections. Otherwise you may find your speed limited to 100 Mbps.

Good point, CAT5 cables only connect up the wires for 10/100 which only uses 2 twisted pairs, CAT6 for Gigabit uses all 4 pairs of wires.

This is obvious but I still got bitten with old CAT5 cables - make sure you use CAT6 cable for all your Ethernet connections. Otherwise you may find your speed limited to 100 Mbps.

Question about ethernet cables. I assume in general ethernet cables are like HDMI......cheap is fine. Except - I do have a problem I guess. I have several ethernet cables that tend to get all kinked up and not retain their nice shape.

Is there a brand that tends to unroll nicer and not get all kinked up? How about those flat ones? Any ideas? I'm not the kind of guy that will be paying $30 for a 6 foot cable...so if that is the only option...I'll just keep my old crappy ones. :)

My personal experience: I use a 100 ft flat CAT6 cable I got from Amazon. No problems. For short interconnects any decent CAT6 should do. Don’t buy rock bottom, but no need for high $.

Question about ethernet cables. I assume in general ethernet cables are like HDMI......cheap is fine. Except - I do have a problem I guess. I have several ethernet cables that tend to get all kinked up and not retain their nice shape.

Is there a brand that tends to unroll nicer and not get all kinked up? How about those flat ones? Any ideas? I'm not the kind of guy that will be paying $30 for a 6 foot cable...so if that is the only option...I'll just keep my old crappy ones. :)

Reactions: GOS

Cheap is OK although one 50 footer I bought from Newegg lasted about 6 months. I have a 100 footer a local guy made for me that's been rolled/unrolled/twisted/under the house - back in and then run between rooms that's never failed.
I am (was) a qualified Cisco Network Tech although I never actually worked at it and I hate to crimp fittings. lol.

Reactions: GOS
A couple of related questions:

1. I seem to be having to reset my wifi adapter almost daily. The diagnostics takes care of it now but I'm afraid of losing an email. What could be causing this?

2. I have a fairly crappy Verizon FIOS router that I need to keep to preserve the guide and on demand features. My neighbor said I could plug a new router into the Verizon router and disable wifi in the Verizon router. Is this true and easy to do?

Thanks

Can anyone educate me on what (minimally) do I need for a quality ethernet switch device? From a specification stand point....I don't want it to be the weakest point in terms of getting a good signal outside. (I will run a single ethernet from the switch, approximately 35 feet outside.) To this, I will connect another router or access point so I can get a good wifi signal in my back yard.

I ask, because I see some really cheap ones..... (US $10-$15) and then I see some more in the $50 range. I only need about 5 ports, so don't need one with over 10 ports.

No matter where I place this router, I cannot get the signal outside. I've been told it's due to my aluminum siding that seems to block the signal from getting outside.
You're in a Faraday cage with that siding!
You're just not going to get RF through that! :D

I believe it because I also have nearly non existent cell signal inside...but strong if I stand outside.
Further data point of not getting RF through that Faraday cage (from the other direction). :D

An additional router or switch.
I an NOT a network expert, but in short a switch is used to connect within a network and routers are used to connect multiple networks. You probably just need a switch. A router can also be used as a switch though and an additional router may be less expensive.

Yes. Use an additional router then for that wi-fi radio.

What you think QQ?
That thinking sounds correct.

Back