Debut albums - your favorites

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61MOhOdf-AL.jpg

51r5JHxIVoL.jpg

61Nw51V7tGL.jpg

GET THE KNACK!

Stole Snooooooood's Thunder So Snood shall steal Dr. Simple's thunder

JELLYFISH - Belly Button :banana:

but Also

The Knack - Get The Knack :banana:
Crowded House - Self Titled :banana:
The Cars - 1st album :banana:
Eddie Money - 1st Album :banana:
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell :banana:

Stole Snooooooood's Thunder So Snood shall steal Dr. Simple's thunder

JELLYFISH - Belly Button :banana:

but Also

The Knack - Get The Knack :banana:
Crowded House - Self Titled :banana:
The Cars - 1st album :banana:
Eddie Money - 1st Album :banana:
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell :banana:

Ha! I heard "Spilt Milk" first and it's always been my favorite, but "Bellybutton" is a fantastic album! :banana:

I agree with many of the posts here, but to my mind (and the public's - it's the best-selling debut ever), I'd vote Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction.

Fun fact - there were some plans to release their follow up double-double album in surround, but that didn't materialize, no doubt partially due to lack of a format to put it on.

That's an interesting selection...I loved(and still do)welcome to the jungle...and the album did put up great numbers...but it took awhile...people didn't like it when it was released...it was barely on the top 200...and it took almost a year to get to number 1...and they did that by touring...with their bad boy image and stage presence...I have mixed feelings about the band...with AXL and Slash they had the potential to be great...but something always seemed to happen and IMO they just never could sustain excellence...but even when their dysfunction seemed to drag them down...they were a commercial success...

That's an interesting selection...I loved(and still do)welcome to the jungle...and the album did put up great numbers...but it took awhile...people didn't like it when it was released...it was barely on the top 200...and it took almost a year to get to number 1...and they did that by touring...with their bad boy image and stage presence...I have mixed feelings about the band...with AXL and Slash they had the potential to be great...but something always seemed to happen and IMO they just never could sustain excellence...but even when their dysfunction seemed to drag them down...they were a commercial success...

It didn't get any play on MTV for a while and that was everything - the story is that it took David Geffen getting involved and calling in a favor for it to be played at 4 AM. And the rest is history. They're one of the biggest bands of the last 40 years and most of their reputation is off that one album - everything else was flawed but that album is untouchable, and it's one of those albums that everyone seems to like.

FWIW, check out Izzy's solo stuff. Probably the most interesting and most prolific of the original members. This one isn't really typical of his output, but I think it would have gotten attention if he put any effort into promotion.

[video=youtube;04pBe4_uEuI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04pBe4_uEuI[/video]

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Get ..
Devo - Are We Not Men, We Are Devo
Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery .....( available in 5.1 surround )
Led Zeppelin 1
The Tubes :sun

So most of my favorites have been taken, but here's a few more:

Eagles - Eagles... wore this one out, but still love it!
Journey - Infinity... still my favorite Journey album
Bad Company - Bad Co
Weezer - The Blue Album
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love... their best album
Big Country - The Crossing... an incredible album which most people only know for the big hit "In A Big Country"; this band put out many wonderful albums (I have them all)... but "The Crossing", more than any other, would make a gorgeous surround mix.

Edit: Whoops... I always think of "Infinity" as Journey's first album, but it's not... it is, however, the first with Steve Perry!

Last edited:
I don't know if this will count, but Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow has great freshman in college memories for me. Not officially their debut album, but to me it's their first.

I don't know if this will count, but Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow has great freshman in college memories for me. Not officially their debut album, but to me it's their first.

If that would have been the debut album it would have been right behind Jimi Hendrix on my list..I even checked to make sure it wasn't their first...somebody to love and especially white rabbit are still my favorite songs by the band..

Some ;) :

Testament - The Legacy
Spock's Beard - The Light
Rage Against The Machine
Chicago Transit Authority
Primus - Suck On This
Foo Fighters
Queen - I
Peter Gabriel - I
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
I Mother Earth - Dig
Iron Maiden
Men At Work - Business As Usual
The National Bank
Phil Collins - Face Value
The Police - Outlandos d’Amour
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
Supertramp
Temple Of The Dog (ok ok the only one :) )
Tool - Undertow
Toto
Whitesnake - Trouble
Yes

I've been thinking about this for a few - I posted earlier but there are so many I would like to put out there. Many great selections already so I'll try not to duplicate. My deciding factor;

1. The debut album has to be the first full length album I purchased/owned by the band/artist.
2. Solo debuts by previous band leaders are disqualified ie; Donald Fagen, Phil Collins, Paul Simon - no supergroups ie; CSN, Blind Faith, etc
3. Thanks for indulging a little trip down memory lane

So here a few more - alphabetically;

Anita Baker - Rapture
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant
Bangles - All Over The Place
Bill Withers - Just As I Am
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To Man
Bread - Bread
California Guitar Trio - Yamanishi Blues
Charles & Eddie - Duophonic
Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
Elton John - Elton John
Emmit Rhodes - Emmit Rhodes
Harry Chapin - Heads & Tails
Iron Butterfly - Inagaddadavida
Joss Stone - The Stone Sessions
Kenny Rankin - Like A Seed
Lighthouse - One Fine Morning
Paula Cole - This Fire
Procol Harum - Whiter Shade Of Pale
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Rhye - Woman
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Rosie Vela - Zazu
Stanley Jordan - Magic Touch
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic
Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age Of Wirelss
Traffic - Traffic
Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach

So most of my favorites have been taken, but here's a few more:

Eagles - Eagles... wore this one out, but still love it!
Journey - Infinity... still my favorite Journey album
Bad Company - Bad Co
Weezer - The Blue Album
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love... their best album
Big Country - The Crossing... an incredible album which most people only know for the big hit "In A Big Country"; this band put out many wonderful albums (I have them all)... but "The Crossing", more than any other, would make a gorgeous surround mix.

Edit: Whoops... I always think of "Infinity" as Journey's first album, but it's not... it is, however, the first with Steve Perry!

I can understand that...to me... Steve Perry was Journey..without him they were just a local band

I've been thinking about this for a few - I posted earlier but there are so many I would like to put out there. Many great selections already so I'll try not to duplicate. My deciding factor;

1. The debut album has to be the first full length album I purchased/owned by the band/artist.
2. Solo debuts by previous band leaders are disqualified ie; Donald Fagen, Phil Collins, Paul Simon - no supergroups ie; CSN, Blind Faith, etc
3. Thanks for indulging a little trip down memory lane

So here a few more - alphabetically;

Anita Baker - Rapture
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant
Bangles - All Over The Place
Bill Withers - Just As I Am
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To Man
Bread - Bread
California Guitar Trio - Yamanishi Blues
Charles & Eddie - Duophonic
Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
Elton John - Elton John
Emmit Rhodes - Emmit Rhodes
Harry Chapin - Heads & Tails
Iron Butterfly - Inagaddadavida
Joss Stone - The Stone Sessions
Kenny Rankin - Like A Seed
Lighthouse - One Fine Morning
Paula Cole - This Fire
Procol Harum - Whiter Shade Of Pale
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Rhye - Woman
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Rosie Vela - Zazu
Stanley Jordan - Magic Touch
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic
Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age Of Wirelss
Traffic - Traffic
Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach

Glad to see that someone else on here likes Anita Baker(y)..and another blast from the past...Harry Chapin...haven't heard his name mentioned in a long time

Back